Automotive

Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! (Your Dash Cam ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 11:34 am
Jun 9, 2011
477 posts
249 upvotes
SweetiePieGumdrop wrote: I eagerly await for someone to tell me what I did wrong here.
Alright.

Strike 1 -
What's the speed limit there? If it is 60 or less, you've been speeding.
My estimates: light poles are approximately 60 meters apart, it took you 3 seconds from pole to pole, so this is 72 km/h give or take.

Strike 2 -
Not sure if it is a good idea to fly around a stopped car like this w/o slowing down at all. It blocked quite a bit of your field of view. Had this other car coming out from the side tried to jump into your third lane, you would've been in trouble.

Strike 3 -
What's the point of honking almost after the fact? Your horn is to warn others, not for your own enjoyment.

Edit:
Strike 4 -
Changed lanes without signaling. Or may be you signaled by hand? Can't hear the blinker in your video. Had there been a speeding hothead right behind you, you could've ended up in a collision.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
akon1943 wrote: Alright.

Strike 1 -
My estimates: light poles are approximately 60 meters apart, it took you 3 seconds from pole to pole, so this is 72 km/h give or take.

Strike 2 -
Not sure if it is a good idea to fly around a stopped car like this w/o slowing down at all. It blocked quite a bit of your field of view. Had this other car coming out from the side tried to jump into your third lane, you would've been in trouble.

Strike 3 -
What's the point of honking almost after the fact? Your horn is to warn others, not for your own enjoyment.
i am glad you said it all...i was tempted...maybe this person (girl?) can post daily vids so we can critique, then maybe the roads will be a little safer around markham, provided the daily lessons will improve the skills
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
akon1943 wrote: Alright.

Strike 1 -

Strike 2 -

Strike 3 -

Edit:
Strike 4 -
Changed lanes without signaling. Or may be you signaled by hand? Can't hear the blinker in your video. Had there been a speeding hothead right behind you, you could've ended up in a collision.
1. Your estimate is wrong.
2. It was either avoid the car or hit it/get hit from behind. I chose to avoid it.
3. Evasive maneuvers took precedent over honking. The other driver needed to be aware that they were nearly t-boned.
4. Wrong. I did signal. And shoulder checked.
Jun 9, 2011
477 posts
249 upvotes
SweetiePieGumdrop wrote: 1. Your estimate is wrong.
2. It was either avoid the car or hit it/get hit from behind. I chose to avoid it.
3. Evasive maneuvers took precedent over honking. The other driver needed to be aware that they were nearly t-boned.
4. Wrong. I did signal. And shoulder checked.
1. Yeah, it definitely looked faster to me on video, so it must be on the lower end. So what was your actual speed?
2. Option of slowing down in advance was never considered? It's not like the car jumped out in front of you at the last moment, you had plenty of time. Also, I hope you are driving a small car. This whole set up with driving full speed into an obstacle and then going around at the last moment screams of... I don't know what, find the word yourself. You are pretty much leaving the guy behind you going into the obstacle at high speed and with no reaction time. So with small car they can at least see something for themselves.
3. I am pretty sure this scenario "needed to be aware that they were nearly t-boned" (past tense) is not covered under HTA.
4. Haven't heard this, but if I have time this evening I'll double check in Audacity. Your blinkers must be very quiet.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
akon1943 wrote: 1. Yeah, it definitely looked faster to me on video, so it must be on the lower end. So what was your actual speed?
2. Option of slowing down in advance was never considered? It's not like the car jumped out in front of you at the last moment, you had plenty of time. Also, I hope you are driving a small car. This whole set up with driving full speed into an obstacle and then going around at the last moment screams of... I don't know what, find the word yourself. You are pretty much leaving the guy behind you going into the obstacle at high speed and with no reaction time. So with small car they can at least see something for themselves.
3. I am pretty sure this scenario "needed to be aware that they were nearly t-boned" (past tense) is not covered under HTA.
4. Haven't heard this, but if I have time this evening I'll double check in Audacity. Your blinkers must be very quiet.
We got a badass over here, lol.

You're an audio engineer or a geek if you know how to isolate the sounds to hear the blinkers.

It looked faster than the traffic dictate so let's leave it at that. OP probably took sometime to conjure up that defines, heh.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21132 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
mcg wrote: Sup
Why are you keeping a full car distance in front? Move up already.
Deal Guru
Feb 14, 2006
10084 posts
1418 upvotes
carmaster wrote: Why are you keeping a full car distance in front? Move up already.
Good morning.

Distance in the dash camera is farther than in reality.

If you owned a camera you'll know what I mean.

And I don't want people rolling back on me if they drive stick.

Surely you'd appreciate space in the back if you drive manual.
Deal Addict
Jun 2, 2012
1600 posts
950 upvotes
GTA
mcg wrote: Good morning.

Distance in the dash camera is farther than in reality.

If you owned a camera you'll know what I mean.

And I don't want people rolling back on me if they suck at driving stick.

Surely you'd appreciate space in the back if you drive manual.
Fixed lol...
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
akon1943 wrote: 1. Yeah, it definitely looked faster to me on video, so it must be on the lower end. So what was your actual speed?
1. I don't remember. 60-65km/h would be my guess.
2. I wanted to turn left at Warden, prior to the truck turning left, I was checking mirrors and blindspot. When I turned my attention back to the front, I saw the truck getting stuck because of 2 pedestrians crossing the street. I drive a Civic. If the car behind me T-Bones him he was following me too close.
3. Are you saying you can only honk under certain circumstances under the HTA? Sometimes I see friends of mine walking on the street. I honk my horn to say hello. Or when there are picketers on the streets, I read their signs and if I agree I honk my horn to show support. The HTA won't encompass everything that your horn can be used for. More importantly, does it say I should not use my horn in cases of close calls?
4. A tree falls in the woods, nobody is there to hear it. Does the tree still make a noise? I've told you I signalled, either take my word for it or don't. Don't waste your time trying to prove something you cannot prove.
Banned
Jan 28, 2015
883 posts
226 upvotes
Markham
cardguy wrote: i am glad you said it all...i was tempted...maybe this person (girl?) can post daily vids so we can critique, then maybe the roads will be a little safer around markham, provided the daily lessons will improve the skills
I will post my entire drive home from work today. Your feedback will be much appreciated.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
someone is crying wolf and reporting all our posts.. i wonder who.?
Feb 2, 2014
504 posts
246 upvotes
SweetiePieGumdrop wrote: I eagerly await for someone to tell me what I did wrong here.

Driving too fast for the weather condition, slow down its a clear day!
Just because you have the winter tire, it doesn't mean you can speed all you want on a clear day!
Need to anticipated the left turning truck ahead of time.
Don't swerve like that, its not a race track you know.
Learn to drive on the RIGHT LANE!
Where do people get their license these day? :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
\joke
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
vrooom race car vroom

eagerly await rfd pro driving course.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 1 guest)

canoek, chimaican