Automotive

3.6 L Eco Boost engine at Ford F150 any good or not?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2015 10:31 am
Sep 3, 2006
554 posts
155 upvotes
GTA Ontario

3.6 L Eco Boost engine at Ford F150 any good or not?

Hi,

Just considering to buy a ford F150 2013 year of production with 105,000 km on it. The value of the vehicle is around 50% after 3 year of usage (Premium model).
The engine is 3.6 L Eco Boost; it is sell from dealership.......almost a year on sell, currently use at dealership as ???

Should I be worry about this vehicle with this engine? Not sure what version of this engine is, but heard that the first model had some problems and should be avoided.
With a such 105k km on it, I can expect of making another 150 km on it, with a light usage (no towing, just getting around city or going up north with some load on it), or not? Is my expectation of another 150K of milage is too high.

Are the some hidden issues with these Eco Boost engine? What would be the cost of replacing such an engine?

For the same money (or very close) I can get a new one from 2015 base model w/crew cab + 5.0 L engine + 4x4

What is your opinion about this deal?

Thanks for any help/advice here.
42 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11166 upvotes
Call me old school if you want, but I just can't see how this engine can be as reliable in the long run as a good old fashion pushrod V8. Nor will it sound as nice either. You can replicate the power, with a turbo V6, but never that low growl.

Now, that being said, let's talk about your needs. Why do you want a truck in the first place? Are you planning to tow? If so how much? Or, do you just want a truck for the look, ride and occasional dump run?

Also, need more details on the trim levels. Does the 2013 have a lot of features you would be missing in the 2015? Can you live without them?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
No replacement for displacement...
But Ford's twin turbo ecoboost is proven to be very reliable.
Don't worry about the naysayers, as the only issue with the engine, is its fuel economy (or lack of), but what are you going to expect from an engine fitted with twin turbos?
Sep 3, 2006
554 posts
155 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Gutty96 wrote: Call me old school if you want, but I just can't see how this engine can be as reliable in the long run as a good old fashion pushrod V8. Nor will it sound as nice either. You can replicate the power, with a turbo V6, but never that low growl.

=====Hi Gutty96.............must agree with you: you made a nice summary of this engine! Me to, be a fan of V8 5.0 L from their stable of engine for F150.

Now, that being said, let's talk about your needs. Why do you want a truck in the first place? Are you planning to tow? If so how much? Or, do you just want a truck for the look, ride and occasional dump run?

===== No towing will be done (or really minimal with a small dolly, say 5X7 that my bro in law has it). Yes we have a trailer up north, but it is a park trailer, and it it too big for a regular track to tow (say around 11,000 lbs with all junk in). Occasionally, we need to get stuff around the city or to/from that trailer.
Yes, it is for the look too! I think a driving such a vehicle is a fun, and having a respect on the road from other drivers counts in too. A cost, inside space for up to 5 to 6 people make for me.............and the gas is only say 30 - 50% more than economy car/van. The only problem I can see (mostly for my second half: wifie is to park safely on a daily basis.

Also, need more details on the trim levels. Does the 2013 have a lot of features you would be missing in the 2015? Can you live without them?
==== That F150 is a premium model (all dumped in, whatever you can imagine in a truck, mostly inside). Like the busy dashboard with full electronics and this one has it.
To replicate some of this, the F150 XTL with the 302A package, crew cab, say 5.7'' bed, and the V8 5.0 L engine, and 4x4.....but the cost would be in the middle of $45k + tx
To make it more real, I think more rational would be to get same truck but with the 300A package, from 2015, probably between $35-38K + tx.

The third option (my wife preference) would be Honda Odyssey SE model that is now for $42.5K tax in......can wait few months to shave few k's.
The engine is V6, somewhere around 250 HP, but no AWD or 4x4 option, that is important to me as having bad experience in the past.

Summary: like that F150 Premium model, but I am afraid of the longability (running good for up to 15 -20yrs) of that Eco Boost engine.
Hope in this post someone will share some info/experience about these Eco Boost's engine and their reliability in a long run as I remember they are on the market since 2011 year: 5yrs total in usage.

Thanks again for you input Gutty96 (I am not that young either, and too, I think the old stuff is sometimes better!)

R.
Jun 17, 2013
795 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Breton_Rex wrote: Summary: like that F150 Premium model, but I am afraid of the longability (running good for up to 15 -20yrs) of that Eco Boost engine.
Uhh, you're trying to get 15-20 year out of the truck? Only way that'll happen is if it never leaves the garage!
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7625 upvotes
ON
vkizzle wrote: No replacement for displacement...
But Ford's twin turbo ecoboost is proven to be very reliable.
Don't worry about the naysayers, as the only issue with the engine, is its fuel economy (or lack of), but what are you going to expect from an engine fitted with twin turbos?
I don't know if you would call a forced induction engine very reliable as compared to an old fashioned bulletproof design v8 . They (ford) introduced the engine as the cure all for power and economy, obviously missing the mark for at least the economy part. At the very least this will increase the chance of something going wrong by being a more complex engine, thus more expensive to fix.
I personally would not buy this with reliability or gas economy as a factor in my decision.

Isn't the 3.5 the forced induction engine though ? The 3.6 is the NA v6 crappy IIRC.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
dilligafeh wrote: I don't know if you would call a forced induction engine very reliable as compared to an old fashioned bulletproof design v8 . They (ford) introduced the engine as the cure all for power and economy, obviously missing the mark for at least the economy part. At the very least this will increase the chance of something going wrong by being a more complex engine, thus more expensive to fix.
I personally would not buy this with reliability or gas economy as a factor in my decision.

Isn't the 3.5 the forced induction engine though ? The 3.6 is the NA v6 crappy IIRC.
Proper care and timely maintenance, it's a non issue.
There are many FI vehicles on the road that are a decade old.

The 3.6LTT, is likely equipped on the F150s only and the 3.5LTT for the Explorer, Flex and Edge.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7625 upvotes
ON
vkizzle wrote: Proper care and timely maintenance, it's a non issue.
There are many FI vehicles on the road that are a decade old.

The 3.6LTT, is likely equipped on the F150s only and the 3.5LTT for the Explorer, Flex and Edge.
The 3.6 ecoboost doesn't exist in ford's lineup from what I know unless it's a diesel offering in HD lineup. 3.5 eco was used for f150s
Sep 3, 2006
554 posts
155 upvotes
GTA Ontario
NewMember12345 wrote: Uhh, you're trying to get 15-20 year out of the truck? Only way that'll happen is if it never leaves the garage!
Yes, I will expect to get around 15 yrs or more. My current car is from 2000 yr and running okay without major problems, and it is on the road daily (15,000 km a year on average).
But as we all know nothing last forever, finally everyone needs a new something to drive. Based on this I need a truck with the engine that will that looooooong.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7625 upvotes
ON
Breton_Rex wrote: Yes, I will expect to get around 15 yrs or more. My current car is from 2000 yr and running okay without major problems, and it is on the road daily (15,000 km a year on average).
But as we all know nothing last forever, finally everyone needs a new something to drive. Based on this I need a truck with the engine that will that looooooong.
You will want to find out whether you're getting the turbocharged engine 3.5 in it or the 3.7 naturally aspirated v6 offering that was the base engine for the year. The NA v6 will be overworked in the heavy trim you're looking to purchase.
Sep 3, 2006
554 posts
155 upvotes
GTA Ontario
dilligafeh wrote: You will want to find out whether you're getting the turbocharged engine 3.5 in it or the 3.7 naturally aspirated v6 offering that was the base engine for the year. The NA v6 will be overworked in the heavy trim you're looking to purchase.
The engine is (from the add): 3.5L V6 ECOBOOST................sorry, my mistake for quoting the 3.6 L

Turning my eyes toward base model: 2015 F150 4x4 Crew Cab and V8 5.0L
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7625 upvotes
ON
Personally I would get the v8 also. The Coyote 5.0 engine is built here too, support Canadian jobs.
Sep 3, 2006
554 posts
155 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Is it me or the prices on www.ford.ca when you build a truck are costing more vs what are at the dealership when you really buy them.

If Yes, what is the reason behind this. Building a truck now cost 5 to 7k dollars more than before on their website.
These 2015 are inflated too. Do not like going to the dealer and bother them too much, as there is a limit of their "friendship"........sure, it is affordable now outside the store, but suddenly so expensive when they check on their computer. What is your experience ?
Dec 16, 2009
588 posts
172 upvotes
Durham
"===== No towing will be done (or really minimal with a small dolly, say 5X7 that my bro in law has it). Yes we have a trailer up north, but it is a park trailer, and it it too big for a regular track to tow (say around 11,000 lbs with all junk in). Occasionally, we need to get stuff around the city or to/from that trailer.
Yes, it is for the look too! I think a driving such a vehicle is a fun, and having a respect on the road from other drivers counts in too. "

op - not sure I get this point.

If I was going to try and get 15 to 20 years out of it I would go with the V8.
If you are okay with the whine of turbo chargers over the growl of an 8 and you want it to go like stink - go with the eco boost.

With the eco boost (the marginal complexity of the turbos aside - the 8 is no crude,simple beast either) your maintenance will be higher as, although not mandated by Ford, you should go with synthetic oil given how long you want to keep it. The stock fill is semi.

Also if you do mostly shorter in-city trips you are better with the 8.

Edited - you say you expect to do 15k clicks a year. That would lead me to reason they will be mostly shorter trips - in that case given you are going to try and keep it for 15+ years I would definitely look for an 8, the eco boost is not the best choice for how you expect to use the vehicle.

If it was me buying used I would prefer the 8. A slack maintenance schedule or driving habits will have a greater likelihood to negatively affect the eco boost as opposed to a n/a engine in my opinion.
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2007
11213 posts
10058 upvotes
Kootenays
NewMember12345 wrote: Uhh, you're trying to get 15-20 year out of the truck? Only way that'll happen is if it never leaves the garage!
I bought a '77 F150 in '92 and drove it until 2008. My neighbour still drives it. I bought a '97 F150 in 2008 and drove it until last Nov, when the transmission started slipping. I sold it to a friend and he's still driving it. I bought a 2002 F150 last year that I drive today. Trucks last if they aren't abused.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Yep, 15-20 years out of a truck isn't unreasonable.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
Breton_Rex wrote:
For the same money (or very close) I can get a new one from 2015 base model w/crew cab + 5.0 L engine + 4x4
This option. New truck with full warranty for the same price is a no-brainer.
Nov 7, 2015
162 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Some claim a carbon issue with the Ecoboost engine, though if you have records of service using synthetic over dino oils this usually is reduced quite a lot, granted you should always use synthetic in a turbo engine. :P
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5897 posts
301 upvotes
GTA
Breton_Rex wrote: Hi,

Just considering to buy a ford F150 2013 year of production with 105,000 km on it. The value of the vehicle is around 50% after 3 year of usage (Premium model).
The engine is 3.6 L Eco Boost; it is sell from dealership.......almost a year on sell, currently use at dealership as ???

Should I be worry about this vehicle with this engine? Not sure what version of this engine is, but heard that the first model had some problems and should be avoided.
With a such 105k km on it, I can expect of making another 150 km on it, with a light usage (no towing, just getting around city or going up north with some load on it), or not? Is my expectation of another 150K of milage is too high.

Are the some hidden issues with these Eco Boost engine? What would be the cost of replacing such an engine?

What is your opinion about this deal?

Thanks for any help/advice here.
We had 2 in our fleet and one engine blew at 120k and we sold the other. Don't do it. Get the V8 model only. Too many issues with all of these ford Turbo charged (eco boost) engines...

sk
Sep 3, 2006
554 posts
155 upvotes
GTA Ontario
Thanks for input here.......It looks like the V8 5.0 L is winning here (for my driving habits: short trips, few times a day, long trips on weekend summer time).

How is the driving difference having 4x4 or 4x2 on the F150 late Fall to Spring? Is it worth to invest $5K for this or one can live without this......I am from Toronto/ON.
Never had a chance to drive 4x4, thus my question here. Winter time I stay mostly in the city, drive up north summer time. No heavy load any time.
I know it nice to have it, but is it really worth it/ really say: Must have for the truck? The sales value is not applied here as I am going to keep it.

Any reasonable dealership in the GTA recommendation please.

R.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)