Careers

Would you take a 100K govt job or a 140K private one?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2016 2:47 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
iPhoneSTER wrote: Nice try. High pay and easy positions are reserved for family and friends.
If you are so smart, you can figure it out.
No I can't actually. There's not a lot of 100k fed jobs that aren't management, that's why I'm asking. Unless of course you're RCMP and including OT into your salary.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
11402 posts
5239 upvotes
Why would I take a paycut for either?
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
govt "security" has been pretty iffy the last little bit *obviously depending on where exactly you are.

I would have to weigh other things in there like commute time, what the private job involved(professional or not), is the govt job engaging enough etc. I am facing something similar but at lower pay scales. One has an ok commute the other is terrible.

And having some family in govt management roles. Its totally not what its cracked up to be. The amount of a55hats, and big brother type bs you have to put up with "managing" these tools is crazy and very high stress.
Feb 13, 2011
270 posts
30 upvotes
I can't speak for the federal govt, but at the provincial level $100k is at the manager/ assistant director level, and that's not really a cushy, low stress job (there are exceptions of course, and you could be in a very low-profile ministry in which case yes, it would be low stress). But, in a big important ministry, an assistant director can have a pretty stressful job, political stakes to manage, and yes, longer hours too, etc etc. When I worked for the OPS, I didn't know a single assistant director who only worked 35 hours a week.
Jul 6, 2008
675 posts
193 upvotes
Toronto
tldr; 100k rfd salary standard
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Private, because at least you can be "guaranteed" annual raises. That $140K job may become $160K+ in a few years.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 15, 2005
6023 posts
1869 upvotes
Need more information.

What is the comparison of benefits (health coverage, dental, vacation, pension)?

Does the private position get annual bonuses as well or is that included in the 140k?
Deal Addict
Sep 21, 2011
1843 posts
526 upvotes
I would do a teacher job work for the provincial government for $94,500 summers off, one week off March break, 2 weeks off Christmas, Stat holidays off paid, oh ya pa days off to do work eg like this Friday is a PA day for teachers get to work on report cards at home drinking red wine lol , best job right there my friends, impossible to get in unless you know someone, nepotism at its finest!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
rpw_1 wrote: I can't speak for the federal govt, but at the provincial level $100k is at the manager/ assistant director level, and that's not really a cushy, low stress job (there are exceptions of course, and you could be in a very low-profile ministry in which case yes, it would be low stress). But, in a big important ministry, an assistant director can have a pretty stressful job, political stakes to manage, and yes, longer hours too, etc etc. When I worked for the OPS, I didn't know a single assistant director who only worked 35 hours a week.
I worked with the Feds for a number of years in a number of different departments. I did not meet one person who's salary was over 100k that was not in some type of management/director/senior manager...etc type role. That's why I'm curious about the poster saying he makes over 100k and he's not in a that role like that. It doesn't make sense. Anyways, from working in a number of different departments, the manager making that kind of money or less were definitely not in a low stress role. After Harper's big cuts in 2012, a number of long tenured managers lost their jobs (I ended up losing a very good position with the Feds in 2013 as a result of Harper's cuts). To say every high paying government job is high job security low stress is just not true and this notion is part of the reason why people 'hate' government workers so much when they don't have a clue what goes on. A sibling of mine has been with the Feds for three years now and is still on 'contract' (term). That sibling makes no where near 100k and is constantly worried about losing their job. But hey yeah, rainbows and ice cream for everyone.

I currently work within the provincial government and while I don't make 100k (nor do a lot of people here that claim they do) my pay grade approaches that mark. My role and any of the roles in my agency around the 100k pay grade are definitely NOT low stress and many of us work outside of our core hours for 'free' in order to get everything done.

But regardless, I still would prefer to work in the public sector over the private sector as I believe the working conditions are generally better (wife works for one of the big four banks, they're horrible) and the defined pension plan, while expensive, makes me not have to worry for the future.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1863 posts
344 upvotes
Woodbridge
^ very good insight. I completely agree.

I have a family member working in the govt. Manager level. Puts in way more than 35 hrs a week. Only makes 70k thanks to all the recent cuts. On top of managing the people this person still has to do similar roles they did before/same as the people that are managed. These places arent necessarily country clubs.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Im in the govt job, and would stay even if offered more in the private sector. I like the low stress, holidays guaranteed and everything else that goes with it. IM not 100K, but with my on call weeks I get every year, thats ads to my wage to.

Ive been in both public and private, stage of my life, Im happy where I am. Low stress, never ever take work home (excepy when on call - but I get paid an hourly rate for being on call) Great pension as well
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
shawn01 wrote: I would do a teacher job work for the provincial government for $94,500 summers off, one week off March break, 2 weeks off Christmas, Stat holidays off paid, oh ya pa days off to do work eg like this Friday is a PA day for teachers get to work on report cards at home drinking red wine lol , best job right there my friends, impossible to get in unless you know someone, nepotism at its finest!
Ah yes, the other side of the fence, where you dont see all the stress that goes with the job. Im married to a teacher of a grade 2 class. You wouldnt even last a week.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
140 private, then bank and invest the savings. But then I am young, single, and am a risk taker.
Accountant (Public Practice)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5697 posts
1522 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
coolspot wrote: Private, because at least you can be "guaranteed" annual raises. That $140K job may become $160K+ in a few years.
No such thing as guarantees in life, it's all supply and demand :(
Accountant (Public Practice)
Nov 26, 2013
85 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I'm 25 and just starting my career so at this point I would take private job with higher salary. Got student loans to pay off!
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
230 upvotes
Mecca
FirstGear wrote: No such thing as guarantees in life, it's all supply and demand :(
Exactly, that 140k can just as likely turn into 0k as it could going to 160k.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
122 upvotes
Ziggy007 wrote: Need more information.

What is the comparison of benefits (health coverage, dental, vacation, pension)?

Does the private position get annual bonuses as well or is that included in the 140k?
I agree with Ziggy007... there's more information needed.

I appreciate all of the responses that people have given as to why they prefer one over the other, but I'm still kinda lost.

I'm in the private sector and always have been. Full disclosure, I'm in a management level role with an international bank... earning ~$95K before bonuses. 20 days vacation annually. I can honestly say that I always have carryover vacation because I struggle to use it all up.

As far as I know, my benefits are... okay? I don't know how to compare with what government employees are getting, but I'm paying into a level of benefits that provide me with 85% coverage on medical and 80% on my dental, along with $1,000 that I can put towards physio/massage/acupuncture/counselling/podiatry etc. I could get 100% if I wanted to pay for that level of coverage, but my wife has coverage as well, so there's no need for us to do that.

As for pension, I have an amount that I contribute to a plan that's managed by Sun Life and my employer matches my contribution. So ours is defined contribution. I think I saw someone mention earlier that the government does defined benefit, so I can see where that's a bonus.

As for stress levels... that's a case-by-case thing, isn't it? What's stressful to one person may not be to another. I'm not stressed in my job. I know how to utilize my resources in a way to limit the number of hours required to perform tasks.

I'll be on the job hunt in a few months, so I'm curious as to whether I should be looking at the public sector for my next opportunity.

So far, out of everything that's been said, the only real benefits that I can see as being "confirmed" are the defined benefit pension plan and the supposed security of the job. An additional $40K per year (pre-tax) in a private sector role might be enough of an incentive for me to consider the risks involved.

Maybe a dumb question, but are bonuses paid in public sector roles?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
7776 posts
948 upvotes
Toronto
Since my wife has a healthcare govt job with a defined benefit pension she'll be all set by 55, I'm ok with the risk of the higher paying private sector job. Really depends on the role and company though. I don't want to be the only one who knows what he is doing at either place.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
FirstGear wrote: No such thing as guarantees in life, it's all supply and demand :(
I've been able to average 10% increase each and every year for the past 12 year; try that in the public sector...

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)