Real Estate

Ottawa and Surrounding Area Real Estate market discussion

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 1:54 pm
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
canabiz wrote: Richard, I have to disagree with this statement. Stittsville is right besides Kanata and depending where you are in Stittsville and where you work in Kanata, it can be 5-10 minutes door-to-door. If that is not a GREAT commute trip, I don't know what is!

As an example (and you guys are more than welcome to validate yourself), my buddy lives on Cherokee Way in Stittsville and it takes him 10-13 minutes to get to work in Bells Corners, which is even further than Kanata, on any given day.
My focus is does Stittsville a good place to invest rental properties? First thing you have to consider is what is your potential clients. Kanata tech area (most of them) are in March area, if your target tenants are single/junior tech employee, then your properties are better in the walking distance to tech area or on the bus route since many of your target tenants do not have car. Again, you can still invest in Stittsville, then the demand may not be high.

Is Stittsville far from Kanata? I think it is all relative. Ottawa is a pretty small city, it only take me 30mins from Barrhaven to Rideau center during weekend. But if you were the tenant, if you want to rent a condo/townhouse, are you going to rent it in Kanata or Stittsville? Unless your rental price is much lower, if not, the demand is just not high enough.
Sep 25, 2013
182 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
audiorichard wrote: My focus is does Stittsville a good place to invest rental properties? First thing you have to consider is what is your potential clients. Kanata tech area (most of them) are in March area, if your target tenants are single/junior tech employee, then your properties are better in the walking distance to tech area or on the bus route since many of your target tenants do not have car. Again, you can still invest in Stittsville, then the demand may not be high.

Is Stittsville far from Kanata? I think it is all relative. Ottawa is a pretty small city, it only take me 30mins from Barrhaven to Rideau center during weekend. But if you were the tenant, if you want to rent a condo/townhouse, are you going to rent it in Kanata or Stittsville? Unless your rental price is much lower, if not, the demand is just not high enough.
Thanks....I not to familiar with Ottawa area...I m looking to buy new development property and rent it out to students...COOP or currently attending school....Some are saying Kanata area there will be more demand for rent (due to tech companies) but most of new developments are happening south kanata(Hazeldean and Terryfox), Stitsville.....I have looked at richcraft new development near Barrhaven (Woodroffe and Fallowfield)....Not to sure how the demand will be for rental properties in that area....I m not sure how to plan it...I am a first time home buyer...Any help would be appreciated
Aug 6, 2014
830 posts
300 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Aj8888 wrote: Thanks....I not to familiar with Ottawa area...I m looking to buy new development property and rent it out to students...COOP or currently attending school....Some are saying Kanata area there will be more demand for rent (due to tech companies) but most of new developments are happening south kanata(Hazeldean and Terryfox), Stitsville.....I have looked at richcraft new development near Barrhaven (Woodroffe and Fallowfield)....Not to sure how the demand will be for rental properties in that area....I m not sure how to plan it...I am a first time home buyer...Any help would be appreciated
what students are you planning on renting this out to? kids attending carleton or uottawa will absolutely not rent out a place in stittsville, it would be like a 1.5H bus ride to get to class.

i was out last weekend buying tools off kijiji, and ended up at this tiny house in kanata that had been converted into multiple 80-sq-ft apartments. it was totally illegal/ridiculous, but seemed to be working for the 10+ shirtless guys living there. so maybe you can buy a house in kanata on one of those weird native-american-named streets and put hot plates in each room and locks on the doors and have like a dozen weird guys living in there and paying you $150/month each. that seems lucrative.
Aug 14, 2007
562 posts
314 upvotes
Ottawa
Aj8888 wrote: Thanks....I not to familiar with Ottawa area...I m looking to buy new development property and rent it out to students...COOP or currently attending school....Some are saying Kanata area there will be more demand for rent (due to tech companies) but most of new developments are happening south kanata(Hazeldean and Terryfox), Stitsville.....I have looked at richcraft new development near Barrhaven (Woodroffe and Fallowfield)....Not to sure how the demand will be for rental properties in that area....I m not sure how to plan it...I am a first time home buyer...Any help would be appreciated
Rent your property to college students in Stittsville? hmmm...I suggest you to spend some time on Google map before invest.
Sep 25, 2013
182 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
audiorichard wrote: Rent your property to college students in Stittsville? hmmm...I suggest you to spend some time on Google map before invest.
I meant I am looking for a property to rent out to COOP or currently attending school....In Kanata Stitsville area obv for COOP students as there are no post secondary schools nearby....

Where would there be more demand for rental....Barrhaven, South Kanata or Stitsville(close to kanata)?
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2015
1404 posts
739 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
AJ like audiorichard suggested, you should really look at where the schools are located. Ottawa has two major universities and they are NOT near Barrhaven, Kanata or Stittsville. I don't know and never heard of students renting a place in those areas.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
ckay1980 wrote: AJ like audiorichard suggested, you should really look at where the schools are located. Ottawa has two major universities and they are NOT near Barrhaven, Kanata or Stittsville. I don't know and never heard of students renting a place in those areas.
ckay, Algonquin College is just a short 10-20 minute (depending where you got on) bus ride from Barrhaven down the Transitway. I can even argue about biking in the spring/summer down Woodroffe.

I am no longer a student but I believe bus pass cost is now part of tuition fee for both Algonquin College and University of Ottawa students (don't know about Carleton and La Cite Collegiale), regardless whether you plan to take the bus or not.

I am not saying Barrhaven/Kanata/Stittsville/Orleans are ideal locations for students (or whether students are ideal tenants for landlords, but that is another topic altogether) but the options are definitely there...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2010
1130 posts
650 upvotes
Greely
Aj8888 wrote: I meant I am looking for a property to rent out to COOP or currently attending school....In Kanata Stitsville area obv for COOP students as there are no post secondary schools nearby....
Ottawa south near South Keys is becoming very popular for Carleton students with Confederation (ie the O-train) line now running 4 trains. I have observed large masses of students boarding at Carleton...
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
You must live in Rockcliffe Park....at least I hope.

fisher44 wrote: hahahahaha i have a lot to say about all of those areas as well!! if you look at the crime map, centertown/market/vanier seem to be the worst offenders, although i'd take all of them over orleans/barrhaven any day. i guess it's all relative. i've never felt unsafe anywhere in ottawa. i've only seen one stabbing in this city, one gang fight, and a bunch of random fights, some vehicle theft and that's it. compared to some of the other countries i've lived in, this place is about as safe as it gets!
Apr 9, 2011
112 posts
70 upvotes
audiorichard wrote: Rent your property to college students in Stittsville? hmmm...I suggest you to spend some time on Google map before invest.
ckay1980 wrote: AJ like audiorichard suggested, you should really look at where the schools are located. Ottawa has two major universities and they are NOT near Barrhaven, Kanata or Stittsville. I don't know and never heard of students renting a place in those areas.

What I think AJ meant was renting to out-of-town students that come to Kanata to do co-op for high tech companies such as Alcatel,Blackberry, Ericsson, Cisco, Shopify, etc.
Sep 26, 2009
304 posts
103 upvotes
Stittsville
Should have bought my townhouse I just sold in Morgan's Grant, walking distance to BlackBerry, Alcatel, innovation drive tons of hi tech companies. If trying to target coop rental market that would be the area I buy in. My townhouse appreciated by 80k in roughly 9 years including the price decline lately.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3537 posts
1279 upvotes
Ottawa
Don't co-op students work 4 months, then attend school 8 months, or something similar? Why would they rent near employment of only a few months?
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
OttawaGardener wrote: Don't co-op students work 4 months, then attend school 8 months, or something similar? Why would they rent near employment of only a few months?
I know many co-op students who have been offered full-time permanent positions from the companies they do their co-op placements.

It obviously depends on the individual's personal financial situations but it makes sense to me to rent (or continue renting) a residence close to the co-op placement, while you are making the transition from school to the workplace and building up savings to buy the first home.
Sep 25, 2013
182 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
kaka55 wrote: Should have bought my townhouse I just sold in Morgan's Grant, walking distance to BlackBerry, Alcatel, innovation drive tons of hi tech companies. If trying to target coop rental market that would be the area I buy in. My townhouse appreciated by 80k in roughly 9 years including the price decline lately.
Thank you!
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2001
3892 posts
3909 upvotes
GTA
Aj8888 wrote: Thank you!
Before buying an investment property in Kanata, educate yourself on the dangers of radon gas. Although some houses have remediation systems installed, it is a legitimate concern and you should be aware.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
1955 posts
2985 upvotes
Ottawa
Just had a friend who had conditionally bought a house in the Craig Henry neighbourhood. Before the inspection the bank wanted to do an appraisal of the home before they officially approved the mortgage. Turns out a much bigger and nicer home in the neighborhood just sold for only $10K more than what he was going to pay for his. Bank came back saying the house was "worth" $23K less than what he was about to pay for it. He would have to cover that difference in cash if he wanted a mortgage for that house. He bailed.

This just goes to show that the prices of houses (especially $500k +) are coming down. I don't know what that house was worth 2 years ago but all it takes is some sellers to start giving in to the slow market and then it affects everyone else. Will be very interesting to see what happens come spring and if the notoriously "hot" season in real estate brings about any change to the stale Ottawa market.
May 23, 2007
642 posts
384 upvotes
Kanata
N8Magic wrote: Before buying an investment property in Kanata, educate yourself on the dangers of radon gas. Although some houses have remediation systems installed, it is a legitimate concern and you should be aware.
Radon gas is a problem everywhere, not just kanata. It's a concern when you buy anywhere.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1803 posts
851 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
So I have narrowed my search down to new home construction (townhouse). I have a budget of 320k and am looking to stay within 30 min to Kanata. So far I have almonte mews and carleton crossing towns on my list....any suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7941 posts
5483 upvotes
Victoria, BC
kaka55 wrote: I would avoid both places but buy in South Kanata lots of new development by Mattamy and Glenview. Close to 416, since it is also close to old Nortel campus chances of price increase are higher as well once DND moves in. I don't know how much of bus ride pain it is from South Kanata (Briddlewood, Monahan Landing, etc.)
I live in South Kanata (Emerald Meadows/Bridlewood area). When I was bussing it the express bus took about 30 minutes. I've been driving lately though. New DND campus will be a goldmine for sure since it is about 5 minute drive from here. DH is in the military, but unfortunately his job is stuck in Hull damn it.
Deal Guru
Jun 28, 2003
12183 posts
5650 upvotes
Ottawa
nikels21 wrote: So I have narrowed my search down to new home construction (townhouse). I have a budget of 320k and am looking to stay within 30 min to Kanata. So far I have almonte mews and carleton crossing towns on my list....any suggestions?
There are a number of new communities within your budget that are closer to Kanata than the 2 you mention on your list. Off the top of my head, I can suggest checking out Mattamy's Monahan Landing and Fairwinds West developments.

Blackstone where Cardel and Monarch are building is also another option as well as Arcadia (Minto) and Richardson Ridge (Uniform and Cardel).

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

YJLI