Automotive

Just sold me 2009 MDX on Craigslist - best way to get paid?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2016 10:25 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam

Just sold me 2009 MDX on Craigslist - best way to get paid?

I just sold me 2009 Acura MDX last night for $22,800 to a buyer from Craigslist. The buyer left a deposit but will be picking up the vehicle on Saturday and paying the balance on Saturday. What is the best way to get paid from the buyer? I was thinking oif going with the buyer to their bank and getting a bank draft made payable to me from their bank.............any thoughts?
35 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33236 posts
21164 upvotes
Toronto
go with the buyer to his/her bank and get draft
Mar 5, 2016
156 posts
62 upvotes
certified cheque or bank draft. Going to the bank is not needed in in my opinion. Ive bought/sold cars and never had the person attend the bank with me or attended the bank with them.
Mar 8, 2007
110 posts
50 upvotes
Ottawa
I bought mine off Autotrader and just gave the seller a Certified Cheque with no problems.
It isn't life that weighs us down, it's how we carry it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Arrrr, just sold me old smart phone on kijiji an if da land lubber don't pay I'll av em walk da plank!
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Dec 8, 2009
107 posts
8 upvotes
SPACEMANRICK wrote: I just sold me 2009 Acura MDX last night for $22,800 to a buyer from Craigslist. The buyer left a deposit but will be picking up the vehicle on Saturday and paying the balance on Saturday. What is the best way to get paid from the buyer? I was thinking oif going with the buyer to their bank and getting a bank draft made payable to me from their bank.............any thoughts?
We just sold a car through kijiji and we went to the bank to get the bank draft with the buyer then deposited in our account and verified, all happened at the same bank and same time. That is the safest I think.

I would try to avoid cash or any "bank note" that you cannot verify 100%, especially for that amount, you never know ;)
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21389 posts
23729 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I just sold me tv and buyer pay with coins.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
booblehead wrote: go with the buyer to his/her bank and get draft
This is the safest option. Or have the buyer bring cash to your bank, have teller verify authenticity and deposit at once.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2009
21200 posts
10721 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
Using the word 'me' instead of 'my' is a commonly accepted British colloquialism.

Example - I'm just going over to me mam's house
I don't know what I'll have for me Tea
I'm just nipping out to the pub with me mate for a bevvy
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam
Thanks for all the help everyone! I will go with the buyer to their bank and get a bank draft made out to me in my name.
Jun 29, 2008
478 posts
184 upvotes
Bank draft's are good enough.. No need to go to the bank and verify with the buyer.. Unless your paranoid!
Dec 19, 2010
907 posts
348 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Wood0209 wrote: Wrong, bank drafts and certified cheques can still be fraudulent. The killer is the person receiving the funds often does not find out until months afterwards.

http://scam-detector.com/auto-scams/bank-draft-payment
+1.
drafts and certified cheques can be fake. for such a large amount of money i would do the in person option to make sure it's verified.
Mar 23, 2009
990 posts
392 upvotes
Halifax
wait for the draft to clear if you can't go with the person to the bank, it's not months - 2-10 business days.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2009
1223 posts
1102 upvotes
Isn't the real scammer OP for charging 23k for a 7 yr old suv

kidding

or am i
Oct 3, 2010
43 posts
23 upvotes
People do not drive that much in BC. His 7 years old MDX may have less than 90k km. My 11 years old Matrix only has 80k km. so you can not compare the prices back east.
Ken_vs_Ryu wrote: Isn't the real scammer OP for charging 23k for a 7 yr old suv

kidding

or am i
Mar 14, 2006
998 posts
579 upvotes
Coquitlam
rps13 wrote: People do not drive that much in BC. His 7 years old MDX may have less than 90k km. My 11 years old Matrix only has 80k km. so you can not compare the prices back east.
Lol, it actually has 88,500 km on it. Here is the ad if anyone is interested............I have a deposit but I am keeping it up until the deal is completed.

http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/cto/5551440855.html
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Seanhfx wrote: wait for the draft to clear if you can't go with the person to the bank, it's not months - 2-10 business days.
Generally yes, but I believe there are also some stories where fraud was detected a few months after the funds were deposited and "cleared".

So why take the chance? Go with the guy and watch him get a bank draft, and then proceed to your bank immediately to get it verified before signing everything off and handing over the keys.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)