Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Fido

1 GB Data $15 per month, 5 GB, $35, $10/GB overage

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2016 5:53 pm
Tags:
Jul 31, 2015
12 posts
2 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
I just got this set up today, at a FIDO kiosk, with no problems.

I have not used it yet, planning to use it in a phone as a data only device.

I noticed a few posts stating that they got billed for a full month for only the first two days or so, what does this mean? Does the billing cycle end at the last day of this month, rather than 30 days from now?

I logged in to the My Account page on the FIDO website and it states that the next usage cycle starts in 0 days.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
Volt777 wrote: I just got this set up today, at a FIDO kiosk, with no problems.

I have not used it yet, planning to use it in a phone as a data only device.

I noticed a few posts stating that they got billed for a full month for only the first two days or so, what does this mean? Does the billing cycle end at the last day of this month, rather than 30 days from now?

I logged in to the My Account page on the FIDO website and it states that the next usage cycle starts in 0 days.

Thanks.
I only had about 4 days prorated and I got charged a full month ($15+tax), but you pay in advance, so it means that they gave me those 4 days for free. Can't complain about that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
This is in expired now. You can't get the data plan anymore?

If it is still available a couple questions..

I realize it's super expensive to make actual calls with the data account, but can you make 911 calls?

What size of Sim do you get, do you have to cut it to fit in your phone?
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: This is in expired now. You can't get the data plan anymore?

If it is still available a couple questions..

I realize it's super expensive to make actual calls with the data account, but can you make 911 calls?

What size of Sim do you get, do you have to cut it to fit in your phone?
Not sure about 911 calls. It's best to have a dual SIM phone with a cheap plan like Speakout on the other SIM for cases of emergency. The plan is still on the Fido website, so should be available. I received a 3-in-1 SIM, so you just push out the size you need.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
Thrasher wrote: Not sure about 911 calls. It's best to have a dual SIM phone with a cheap plan like Speakout on the other SIM for cases of emergency. The plan is still on the Fido website, so should be available. I received a 3-in-1 SIM, so you just push out the size you need.
Do u know if it can it be paid by preauthorized debit bank payment? Need something to setup with tangerine for my $100 bonus that ends at the end of the month.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Do u know if it can it be paid by preauthorized debit bank payment? Need something to setup with tangerine for my $100 bonus that ends at the end of the month.
Yes, "Pre-authorized Chequing" is one of the options when I log in to my account.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Thrasher wrote: Yes, "Pre-authorized Chequing" is one of the options when I log in to my account.
I prefer payment by credit card because (a) that gives me a further ~21 days to review the bill and earn interest before the funds get withdrawn, (b) I get points/rebates off the card and (c) the CC company will let me do a chargeback in the event that Fido makes a billing boo-boo.

Granted $15+HST per month isn't a large amount so the interest on (a) and the rewards on (b) are trivial, but still in the best RFD tradition, something, however paltry, is better than nothing as with a PAC debit.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
2117 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
Thrasher wrote: I only had about 4 days prorated and I got charged a full month ($15+tax), but you pay in advance, so it means that they gave me those 4 days for free. Can't complain about that.
No, people here don't believe we "pay in advance" for this plan (despite some part of the website that may seem to indicate that). If you check your paper bill or the PDF equivalent, in the "About your first bill" section the date is only for your few days (nowhere does it list the dates for your next full billing cycle) and the charge is $15. Nowhere in the paper bill is there any indication we are paying 1 month in advance.

(Also, this is a post-paid plan that requires credit check. Why would we need that if we pay in advance?)

Post #1117 reported "Fido rep also said they dont prorate data flex plan" and that's also my experience when doing online chat with Fido. Basically the minority that contact Fido and complain and are insistent will probably get compensated, and the majority don't do anything and pay this unfair first bill. (Kinda like mail-in rebate, companies count on a percentage of customers won't claim it.)

EDIT: for my own situation, my first billing period is 6 or 7 days, I was dreading the confrontation but finally did online chat today. My rep was Crystal (probably the same one people warned about), and she gave the same "data only lines do not get prorated as the amount billed is based on the amount of data used" talk. After being insistent (direct but hopefully not rude) I got a $12+tax credit which is in line with what a prorated first bill should be.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2006
3173 posts
1475 upvotes
ssiu wrote: No, people here don't believe we "pay in advance" for this plan (despite some part of the website that may seem to indicate that). If you check your paper bill or the PDF equivalent, in the "About your first bill" section the date is only for your few days (nowhere does it list the dates for your next full billing cycle) and the charge is $15. Nowhere in the paper bill is there any indication we are paying 1 month in advance.

(Also, this is a post-paid plan that requires credit check. Why would we need that if we pay in advance?)

Post #1117 reported "Fido rep also said they dont prorate data flex plan" and that's also my experience when doing online chat with Fido. Basically the minority that contact Fido and complain and are insistent will probably get compensated, and the majority don't do anything and pay this unfair first bill. (Kinda like mail-in rebate, companies count on a percentage of customers won't claim it.)

EDIT: for my own situation, my first billing period is 6 or 7 days, I was dreading the confrontation but finally did online chat today. My rep was Crystal (probably the same one people warned about), and she gave the same "data only lines do not get prorated as the amount billed is based on the amount of data used" talk. After being insistent (direct but hopefully not rude) I got a $12+tax credit which is in line with what a prorated first bill should be.
Wow, that's good info. I wasn't aware they screwed me over like that for my first bill.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3749 posts
849 upvotes
There seems to be some confusion about the advance payment with this data plan and I am confused as well.
So I logged in my account at FIDO.CA and looked at the first bill.
I activated the plan on the Feb 26.

Looking at the bil it shows a graph with the dates thay I started service Feb 26 and was charged for those days (sms) and this bill period from mar04 and apr 03.

And below the graph it says :
"
ABOUT YOUR FIRST BILL
You added new services on Feb 26, so this bill includes charges for 7 extra days (from when you modified your services up to this bill date).

YOUR NEW SERVICES
You pay for your services in advance, so this bill includes your new services charges for the next billing period.
"

That point 2 says clearly that I am paying in advance so the 15 dollar charge is valid.
Is this not the same for everybody??
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
HammerJoe wrote: Is this not the same for everybody??
You're looking at your online bill, not the PDF version?

That's what the online bill shows. But it contradicts what the PDF version, which is the official one, says. But see the other Fido thread(*), especially my analysis of online vs. PDF bill versions.

(*) I wish moderators weren't so quick to move original threads to Expired, which results in new threads getting started where the same issues get repeated repeatedly...
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2003
3749 posts
849 upvotes
bylo wrote: You're looking at your online bill, not the PDF version?

That's what the online bill shows. But it contradicts what the PDF version, which is the official one, says. But see the other Fido thread(*), especially my analysis of online vs. PDF bill versions.

(*) I wish moderators weren't so quick to move original threads to Expired, which results in new threads getting started where the same issues get repeated repeatedly...
Thank you for the reply. I took a look at the pdf invoice and I will be calling Fido tonight for a refund for that first bill....
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2008
2117 posts
1306 upvotes
Toronto
HammerJoe wrote: There seems to be some confusion about the advance payment with this data plan and I am confused as well.
So I logged in my account at FIDO.CA and looked at the first bill.
I activated the plan on the Feb 26.

Looking at the bil it shows a graph with the dates thay I started service Feb 26 and was charged for those days (sms) and this bill period from mar04 and apr 03.

And below the graph it says :
"
ABOUT YOUR FIRST BILL
You added new services on Feb 26, so this bill includes charges for 7 extra days (from when you modified your services up to this bill date).

YOUR NEW SERVICES
You pay for your services in advance, so this bill includes your new services charges for the next billing period.
"

That point 2 says clearly that I am paying in advance so the 15 dollar charge is valid.
Is this not the same for everybody??
Yes I got something like that too. What you described is exactly what I mean 3 posts above when I said "No, people here don't believe we "pay in advance" for this plan (despite some part of the website that may seem to indicate that).". I suspect the website shows the same thing for all Fido plans and that some Fido plans may actually be pay in advance, but that is just a guess.

I suggest you go to Save / Print this Bill (PDF) and carefully inspect the PDF of your first bill (forget what the website says) and see if you think you are paying in advance or not.
Amerifriend threads need to include instructions on how to acquire an amerifriend. :confused:
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Tethering works fine for me. (Nexus 5 on Android 6.0.1.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
bylo wrote: Tethering works fine for me. (Nexus 5 on Android 6.0.1.)
uh must be my device or something or firewall, I can create a wifi hotspot with my HP Slate Pro EE G1 and connect with Windows 10 but no internet.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2007
9135 posts
2092 upvotes
bylo wrote: Tethering works fine for me. (Nexus 5 on Android 6.0.1.)
ah I found a fix. You need to copy the ltemobile.apn BUT change the APN Type from "default,mms,supl" to "default,mms,dun"
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Good to hear that fixed it. FWIW tethering works fine for me even with APN Type = default,mms,supl.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29135 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
I just got my bill for April. They charged me $8.74 for sending a text message while roaming in the US. Yes, I sent a text from a US airport. I don't mind paying $0.75 for that. But to then trigger a day's roaming? WTF?

I have data roaming turned off. Is there some way to stop all roaming, voice, text and data? I suppose I could pull the SIM, but that's a bit awkward while travelling.

Can Fido block roaming at their end? (I presume no since they get notified by their roaming partner after the fact.)

Any other Settings in Android that can stop this in the future?

veni, vidi, Visa
Jul 3, 2002
260 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Did you send an MMS message or a regular text message? MMS uses data, it could be the reason Fido charged you $7.99 for MMS data roaming for under 50mb. Did you send a picture or attached a file?
bylo wrote: I just got my bill for April. They charged me $8.74 for sending a text message while roaming in the US. Yes, I sent a text from a US airport. I don't mind paying $0.75 for that. But to then trigger a day's roaming? WTF?

I have data roaming turned off. Is there some way to stop all roaming, voice, text and data? I suppose I could pull the SIM, but that's a bit awkward while travelling.

Can Fido block roaming at their end? (I presume no since they get notified by their roaming partner after the fact.)

Any other Settings in Android that can stop this in the future?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)