Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga

Home Made Chicken Wings

I'm looking to do a massive pile of chicken wings for July 1st, and was surprised to not find a dedicated chicken wing thread.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions on sauces, rubs, cooking methods etc...

I have access to 2 bbqs and a smoker, and really willing to try all kinds of flavours.
46 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Kimchi Chicken Wings

1 Jar Kimchi
1 Spoonful Gochujang
2 Teaspoons Honey
1 Clove Garlic
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1 Splash Beer

Instructions

In the blender I put a whole jar of kimchi, spoonful of gochujang, some honey, clove of garlic, bit of ginger, and just a splash of beer to thin it out a bit.
Put it into a pan and simmer 10 minutes. Cook the wings and then toss them in the sauce to coat. Serve.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I like jerk chicken wings.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Kimchi Chicken Wings

1 Jar Kimchi
1 Spoonful Gochujang
2 Teaspoons Honey
1 Clove Garlic
1 Teaspoon Ginger
1 Splash Beer

Instructions

In the blender I put a whole jar of kimchi, spoonful of gochujang, some honey, clove of garlic, bit of ginger, and just a splash of beer to thin it out a bit.
Put it into a pan and simmer 10 minutes. Cook the wings and then toss them in the sauce to coat. Serve.
Is the Gochujang very spicy?
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
1 spoonful is ok, not too spicy.
fido1984 wrote: Is the Gochujang very spicy?

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Personally I'm a fan of just Frank's with some tweaks (butter and a few other secret seasonings)
It's best on dredged and deep fried.

Not so much a fan of BBQ or smoked wings due to the lack of crispness.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 11, 2004
5317 posts
3943 upvotes
Milton, ON.
My best way is to smoke a bunch of wings in the Bradley.
Once done, preheat about a tablespoon of peanut sauce on bbq burner and toss the wings in the batches to crisp up the skin OR throw quickly on a hot grill for the same effect.
When its good to go lightly toss in homemade jerk or guiness bbq sauce.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1637 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto, ON, CA
Sriracha x Mango Chutney (or Jam)
Pineapple Jam/Chutney x Habaneros and/or Sriracha
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5116 posts
984 upvotes
T.
Chicken wings are best fried imo.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
I go for super simple. Lots of salt and pepper, cook on the grill over indirect high heat (aim for 400-450 degrees).
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
CanuckGreg wrote: I go for super simple. Lots of salt and pepper, cook on the grill over indirect high heat (aim for 400-450 degrees).
One of the ones I was looking at doing was "salt and malt". I think ive only ever done wings over direct heat, though. Will have to try the indirect.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I like my wings crispy and simple! I put a light coating of seasoned flour on and then bake on convection setting in the oven, super crispy and much better than frying. Then I toss in Franks. I've done them lots of other ways but this is my go to recipe and the one I prefer most.

A couple of years ago my husband insisted we take out the deep fryer for the wings, after we had them he agreed that convection setting cooked them better.

But since you only have bbq and smoker to work with I've had luck seasoning them up and smoking, with a quick bbq at the end to crisp up the skin and add any sauce you like.
That's my 2cents worth
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
Motoss wrote: Somewhat "healthy" and tasty option:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alto ... ecipe.html

For the sauce we use Frank's and melted butter - delicious!
I remember watching that episode.
I still think it's somewhat ridiculous to go through all that just to make wings.
Especially wings in volume.
I can eating my 3rd batch of wings and finished cleanup before his wings are even out of the fridge.

Also I love the fryers he has in that episode even though he's making fun of them.
Those are similar to the ones I have. And yes, they will trip your breakers unless they're alone.
Jun 27, 2016
4 posts
2 upvotes
this is the chicken wing recipes i use
step1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
step2.Cut wings in half, dip in egg and coat with flour.
step3.Heat butter in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat. Fry wings until deep brown. Place in a shallow roasting pan.
step4.In a small bowl combine soy sauce, water, sugar, vinegar, garlic powder and salt. Pour over wings.
step5.Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, basting wings with sauce often.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2007
1912 posts
82 upvotes
Mississauga
Keelie wrote: I like my wings crispy and simple! I put a light coating of seasoned flour on and then bake on convection setting in the oven, super crispy and much better than frying. Then I toss in Franks. I've done them lots of other ways but this is my go to recipe and the one I prefer most.

A couple of years ago my husband insisted we take out the deep fryer for the wings, after we had them he agreed that convection setting cooked them better.

But since you only have bbq and smoker to work with I've had luck seasoning them up and smoking, with a quick bbq at the end to crisp up the skin and add any sauce you like.
I actually do have access to a convection oven. What temp do you use?
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
21222 posts
6989 upvotes
GTA
I use a Phillips Airfryer which is basically a convection oven, and I like the Costco pre-seasoned wings, usually about $21 for a large tray. Can't make a lot at a time, but for the two of us its fine.

Recently, I've been unsuccessful in replicating Phnom Penh garlic chicken wings (https://www.zomato.com/vancouver/phnom- ... -vancouver), but I'm somewhat getting closer.

Garlic, lemon juice, Garlic salt, garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, flour, still not close.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1016 posts
260 upvotes
Ottawa
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Okkkkkkkkk........... Why is he steaming and then baking? Makes NO sense to me.
The steaming is to render out much of the fat. This minimizes the stink and smoke in your house as you then roast the wings at high heat. I've used Alton's method and it works well, but maybe Canadian chickens are leaner than their Yankee cousins as I don't normally find using the oven end-to-end produces that much smoke/odour. BBQ is best as then all of the mess is outside.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)