Credit Cards

Pay Your Bills Online Using CANADIAN TIRE MASTER CARD & Earn Cash Back/CT $$$ !!!

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 9:49 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
deal_with_singh wrote: anyone able to find university of waterloo anywhere? I thought i read in this thread that its there, but don't see it.
u of waterloo 90016995
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4782 posts
1327 upvotes
Richmond
bizee-bee wrote: Thanks, I did understand what the other person was doing (prepaying with online payment from his bank account, in the comfort of his home). What I was trying to demonstrate is that I did not have to wait for the "payment to the payee" (my step 1.) to get processed before starting my next round.

If what you're saying in your last sentence quoted above, is valid then it's just a matter of sequence/timing that determines if you can make use of the cash/debit payment in a CT store. It still doesn't make sense to me, but if true then you still do need to do the multiple trips into the store, to do post payments onto the CT card balance, as the over payment is of no use.

But, I don't need to do this anymore, so I won't be testing if that is still the case. I'll leave it to someone else to carry the torch. ;)
I'll be doing this soon too. ct limit is 500. Too puny to work with, so gonna do multiple debit/cash payments. Except it's gonna be a little pain in butt as my main chequing account with pcf debit limit is 1000. was originally 500 but today pcf increased it so i have 1000 to work with.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: I'll be doing this soon too. ct limit is 500. Too puny to work with, so gonna do multiple debit/cash payments. Except it's gonna be a little pain in butt as my main chequing account with pcf debit limit is 1000. was originally 500 but today pcf increased it so i have 1000 to work with.
"Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of CT MC'ers - born in this forum, tempered by deals wars, disciplined by a hard and bitter unbelievably low credit limit."
- with GREAT apologies to JFK :D

In preparation, I called in and bumped up my debit card's daily limit at merchants from $1600 to $5000/day and $10K/week. In the end, I just took out cash since I was already at my branch and dealing with other affairs.

Why not try and pre-pay to overload the limit, using online banking? Your findings could help benefit the community. :)

Point-Oh-One-persentuh. :twisted:
May 10, 2010
4 posts
Did anyone try to pay for College Stanislas in Montreal? Should I use "COL. STANISLAS" payee for that?
Thanks!
Sep 25, 2007
599 posts
92 upvotes
Toronto
I tried out a few things to pay my tuition ($5k) with a $500 limit card. Here's my experiments:

1. Overpaying CTFS card through online bill payment at the bank did not allow me to setup multiple bill payments through the card one after another.

I overpaid $1k through my bank to the card and waited a few days for the money to show up on my card, then I paid $500 but couldn't do it immediately again. I waited two business days for the transaction to show up in my CTFS account and then was able to pay $500 again.

2. Taking a wad of cash to the customer service desk (not cashier) at a Canadian Tire where you have reception is the easiest & fastest way.

I went to the above-ground Yonge & Bloor location and visited the customer service desk (less busy than cashiers) and explained to them what I wanted to do. They were generally patient as I stood there for twenty minutes and repeatedly give them $500 and paid my tuition on my phone. I didn't try overpaying in cash cause I didn't have any more time to pay my tuition in case it didn't work, but someone else reported that works. More convenient than giving $500 repeatedly.

3. Paying off your CTFS CC with debit transactions is also an option and is treated the same as cash. E.g. clears out your account immediately so you can pay again. This would be easier than getting cash out cause I've a $1k daily withdrawal limit so I had to visit the bank multiple times in a few days. I didn't try this myself though, but others have reported it works.

4. Remember: no single transaction/bill payment can be greater than your credit limit even if your balance is greater than your limit. E.g. if you can spend $1k on your $500 limit card, you can only spend $500 on one transaction, so you'll need to do two transactions. Cash payment allows you to do the two transactions immediately while online bill payment makes you wait two-three business days.

After all this, I called CTFS and they increased my CL to $1,500 so I should have fewer of these problems. So, definitely try calling them after your first annoying large payment. Overall, I'd say it was worth it for the $50 I made and for being pushed into the higher tier for this year.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Especially bizee-bee who took the time to send me a very thorough PM about my options.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
Wolf, you're bringing a tear to my eyes. :cry:

Thanks for the VERY detailed info, particularly points #1 and #4! ...patrob[OP] should add it to the first posting, or at least link to your post. Very well done!

I'm a bit surprised that they gave you a CL increase on the spot (did they say it would generate a pull on your credit file?). CTFS reps told me I needed to wait 6 months and they would review my account for any increase in cap space...they must've seen my similar large/rotating usage and bestowed kindness on me, doubling my CL at month-4.

Anyway, thanks for carrying the torch to the next stage!

Emotional-Bee
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
RT Wolf wrote: I tried out a few things to pay my tuition ($5k) with a $500 limit card. Here's my experiments:

1. Overpaying CTFS card through online bill payment at the bank did not allow me to setup multiple bill payments through the card one after another.

I overpaid $1k through my bank to the card and waited a few days for the money to show up on my card, then I paid $500 but couldn't do it immediately again. I waited two business days for the transaction to show up in my CTFS account and then was able to pay $500 again.

2. Taking a wad of cash to the customer service desk (not cashier) at a Canadian Tire where you have reception is the easiest & fastest way.

I went to the above-ground Yonge & Bloor location and visited the customer service desk (less busy than cashiers) and explained to them what I wanted to do. They were generally patient as I stood there for twenty minutes and repeatedly give them $500 and paid my tuition on my phone. I didn't try overpaying in cash cause I didn't have any more time to pay my tuition in case it didn't work, but someone else reported that works. More convenient than giving $500 repeatedly.

3. Debit transactions is also potentially an option. The person helping me said that the money doesn't show up immediately on your CTFS card but I can't confirm this cause I didn't try it. This would be easier than getting cash out cause I've a $1k daily withdrawal limit so I had to visit the bank multiple times in a few days.

4. Remember: no single transaction/bill payment can be greater than your credit limit even if your balance is greater than your limit. E.g. if you can spend $1k on your $500 limit card, you can only spend $500 on one transaction, so you'll need to do two transactions. Cash payment allows you to do the two transactions immediately while online bill payment makes you wait two-three business days.

After all this, I called CTFS and they increased my CL to $1,500 so I should have fewer of these problems. So, definitely try calling them after your first annoying large payment. Overall, I'd say it was worth it for the $50 I made and for being pushed into the higher tier for this year.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Especially bizee-bee who took the time to send me a very thorough PM about my options.
Debit works instantly as well.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Debit works instantly as well.
Hey Kasakato,

Wolf said in #3 Debit transactions is also potentially an option. The person helping me said that the money doesn't show up immediately on your CTFS card but I can't confirm this cause I didn't try it.

But, I recall you overloaded your limit using your debit card, instead of cash, at a CT store cashier, is that right? And you were able to IMMEDIATELY make one large payment, and were not limited by your actual CL (in Wolf's case, $500)?

i.e. - Wolf confirmed what a_1_a said, that if you overload using online banking, you still cannot do one large payment, but multiple payments one after the other, up to his actual limit of $500, and then had to wait for that payment to the payee to show up online a couple of days later, before setting up the next payment. What is your experience?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
bizee-bee wrote: Hey Kasakato,

Wolf said in #3 Debit transactions is also potentially an option. The person helping me said that the money doesn't show up immediately on your CTFS card but I can't confirm this cause I didn't try it.

But, I recall you overloaded your limit using your debit card, instead of cash, at a CT store cashier, is that right? And you were able to IMMEDIATELY make one large payment, and were not limited by your actual CL (in Wolf's case, $500)?

i.e. - Wolf confirmed what a_1_a said, that if you overload using online banking, you still cannot do one large payment, but multiple payments one after the other, up to his actual limit of $500, and then had to wait for that payment to the payee to show up online a couple of days later, before setting up the next payment. What is your experience?
It's treated the same as cash. Ie it posts to available balance right away and you can make as many payments under your CL, up to whatever you paid.
Jan 12, 2009
386 posts
434 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Hello all,

Anyone know which Canadian Tire store has the in-store application people (with a promotional sign-up credit) in the Richmond Hill/North York area? I've dropped in a few times the last few weeks, even left my number with customer service in the stores and have yet to see them...
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2161 posts
726 upvotes
RT Wolf wrote:
3. Paying off your CTFS CC with debit transactions is also an option and is treated the same as cash. E.g. clears out your account immediately so you can pay again. This would be easier than getting cash out cause I've a $1k daily withdrawal limit so I had to visit the bank multiple times in a few days. I didn't try this myself though, but others have reported it works.
I don't exactly understand this method; do you go to Canadian Tire and pay off your credit card using Interac..? Or can it be done online?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
FreezingCanada wrote: I don't exactly understand this method; do you go to Canadian Tire and pay off your credit card using Interac..? Or can it be done online?
Yes and no.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2161 posts
726 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Yes and no.
That's not too bad, you could probably call your bank and get them to raise the limit as much as you want/they let you; then go into Canadian Tire and pay $500 for each bill payment you do.

Is there any debit card or credit card service that you can pay bills with? Can't find any in that list.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
FreezingCanada wrote: That's not too bad, you could probably call your bank and get them to raise the limit as much as you want/they let you; then go into Canadian Tire and pay $500 for each bill payment you do.

Is there any debit card or credit card service that you can pay bills with? Can't find any in that list.
Nope, closed a few years ago.
Deal Addict
Feb 27, 2011
2161 posts
726 upvotes
Kasakato wrote: Nope, closed a few years ago.
Not even a debit card? :(

What are my chances of being approved for a MasterCard? No previous credit history.
May 11, 2012
101 posts
3 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Anyone know if we can pay auto insurance to ICBC (insurance corporation of british columbia).

Sorry couldn't find it thus far.

Many thanks!
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3504 upvotes
Vancouver
ValueHunter999 wrote: I think ICBC would accept any CC, right?
If so, you can charge your ICBC's premium directly to your CTFS CC.

One only pays bills "from" CTFS website when the bills cannot be charged to CCs.
Yes, with ICBC you can just use whatever CC you want directly at the insurance office.
May 11, 2012
101 posts
3 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Hi and thanks for the info and response.

Sorry I should have been more clear re ICBC - I'm on a monthly payment plan in which ICBC withdraws funds from my bank account, and thus wondering if anyone knew the payee name for ICBC, if available, through our CT mastercard.

Many thanks again!
Deal Addict
May 28, 2007
1849 posts
1299 upvotes
Does anyone know if you're able to use this card to pay the City of Montreal property, school, and water taxes bills with? I didn't notice these mentioned in the link provided earlier. What about Hydro Quebec bills?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 10, 2008
7000 posts
7627 upvotes
anthonykim wrote: Hi and thanks for the info and response.

Sorry I should have been more clear re ICBC - I'm on a monthly payment plan in which ICBC withdraws funds from my bank account, and thus wondering if anyone knew the payee name for ICBC, if available, through our CT mastercard.

Many thanks again!
What 1226 is probably trying to say is, you can pay ICBC with whatever credit card you have, that probably earns better rebates / rewards than the ~1% CT MC. So, why use this card unless you have no other?

Anyway, I had a quick look for ICBC, but could not locate it as a payee.

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

rychicken