Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Future Shop

FS/BB Olympus E-PM1 Interchangeable Lens Camera with 14-42mm Lens $349

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2012 8:52 pm
21 replies
Sep 6, 2008
11 posts
$349 at BB now too. Bought it yesterday and just had it price protected.
Thanks OP!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
Image Image Image

Future Shop link: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... cbabf8en02
Best Buy link: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/oly ... 875f74en02

Same price for all colours.

I got it for $400 and thought it was a good deal, and now it's down $50 more. Luckily I got the price protection.

Love this camera. For those who are also looking at the E-PL1 for $250, I had it but returned it and got the E-PM1. They produced still pictures with arguably similiar IQ, but the AF speed on the E-PM1 is 4 times faster, which is the biggest problem with E-PL1. Also, the E-PM1 can record AVCHD 1080i videos with Dobly Digital.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
This is the first E-PM1 thread I've clicked on, and it seems a decent post, yet it seems I've seen this before.... Wonder why? ;)
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
Tornado F2 wrote: This is the first E-PM1 thread I've clicked on, and it seems a decent post, yet it seems I've seen this before.... Wonder why? ;)

Seen this before? I don't think the price have ever came down to this. By the way, I just read the E-PL1 thread and it seems to be mostly talking about the E-PM1 too.
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Nov 27, 2009
933 posts
279 upvotes
Can someone point out the pros and cons when comparing this with GF2? Is GF2 a better unit overall?
Dec 2, 2007
362 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
I bought the EPL 1 recently for $249 but I like the smaller body of the EPM1 better but my biggest dislike of the EPM1 is that it lacks a built in flash. Yes, it comes with a small detachable flash which runs on the power of the camera but you have to carry it! The main reason the EPM1 focuses faster is because of the new 14-42 lens. This new lens is supposed to be quieter as well so it is better for video recording so you don't hear the motor sounds. Interestingly, the new lens is a bit longer when closed compared to the original 14-42 lens. If the EMP1 had a built in flash, I probably would have bought it instead.
May 13, 2006
269 posts
76 upvotes
I am a complete noob and have no interest in getting a DSLR but want a flexible easy to use camera. My buddy keeps pushing me to the Sony NEX-5N but I don't think I need all the features. Would this be a suitable camera for someone who just wants an out of the box AF type of camera? What suitable lens' should I get for distance and portraits? Nothing fancy or costs more than the camera itself.
Jun 22, 2008
17 posts
9 upvotes
For point and shoot this is an amazing camera and it's so tiny! Even the stock kit lane is acceptable except for low light conditions. The only times I could really recommend getting a 5n over this is if you want to shoot in RAW and play around with your photo's in lightroom.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
BB88 wrote: Seen this before? I don't think the price have ever came down to this. By the way, I just read the E-PL1 thread and it seems to be mostly talking about the E-PM1 too.

I'd seen the title of excel's earlier thread. Yours was a repost. But you did create a more detailed post though.
Somebody removed my sig for no reason, without even telling me.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
caprio wrote: I bought the EPL 1 recently for $249 but I like the smaller body of the EPM1 better but my biggest dislike of the EPM1 is that it lacks a built in flash. Yes, it comes with a small detachable flash which runs on the power of the camera but you have to carry it! The main reason the EPM1 focuses faster is because of the new 14-42 lens. This new lens is supposed to be quieter as well so it is better for video recording so you don't hear the motor sounds. Interestingly, the new lens is a bit longer when closed compared to the original 14-42 lens. If the EMP1 had a built in flash, I probably would have bought it instead.

This is not true. If you put the new 14-42 on a E-PL1 body, you will not be able to focus as fast as PM1.
Both the body and the lens had a af speed 'upgrade'. The AF system in body had a complete overhaul.
ducatirider wrote: I am a complete noob and have no interest in getting a DSLR but want a flexible easy to use camera. My buddy keeps pushing me to the Sony NEX-5N but I don't think I need all the features. Would this be a suitable camera for someone who just wants an out of the box AF type of camera? What suitable lens' should I get for distance and portraits? Nothing fancy or costs more than the camera itself.
The camera is excellent and will be enough for your use. The kit lens will serve you well for most situations. Learn how to use it first before buying more lenses. You could buy the 20mm 1.7 as an all around lens, but it is ~$350 used.
Banned
Feb 11, 2005
1828 posts
35 upvotes
VanCity
DueyNguyen wrote: For point and shoot this is an amazing camera and it's so tiny! Even the stock kit lane is acceptable except for low light conditions. The only times I could really recommend getting a 5n over this is if you want to shoot in RAW and play around with your photo's in lightroom.

From what I just read, the E-PM1 does shoot in RAW, am I reading wrong. Picked up my E-PM1 and debating to keep or not, it's still in the box and took my all of 5 minutes to read the rather simple manual.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2339 posts
416 upvotes
Edmonton
Due to absence of a working unit, I picked up the E-PM1 from BB today and have a E-PL1 on order from FS. Will try both and see which one should I keep.

The reviews online are mixed for both so want to play with both to make an informed decision.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
3681 posts
1732 upvotes
Just did price protection for the one I bought 2 weeks ago. Thanks for the heads up! Love the camera.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2004
1861 posts
145 upvotes
DVDManiac wrote: From what I just read, the E-PM1 does shoot in RAW, am I reading wrong. Picked up my E-PM1 and debating to keep or not, it's still in the box and took my all of 5 minutes to read the rather simple manual.

It shoots RAW.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2005
2721 posts
1788 upvotes
Markham
for those who has doubts or it is their first non-point and shoot

look at this http://www.mu-43.com/f38/i-think-im-goi ... ens-25345/

or
http://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-14-42m ... hread-293/

learn how to use the camera rather than trying to hoarding gear. once you know how to use the 14-42 then buy other lenses

this camera is excellent and so is the lens, you will love it
Dec 2, 2007
362 posts
103 upvotes
Toronto
[quote="andyyuen" post_id="14691607" time="1336169812" user_id="24171"]This is not true. If you put the new 14-42 on a E-PL1 body, you will not be able to focus as fast as PM1.
Both the body and the lens had a af speed 'upgrade'. The AF system in body had a complete overhaul.

Reading from a professional review, you are correct to say that both the body and the LENS got a af speed upgrade. However, the review states that the old EPL1 with the new lens is much faster and much closer in speed to the EPM1. Of course the EPM1 still is faster but just not nearly as much. That is why the review stated that most of the improved focus speed is actually more due to the lens. On the other hand, the 14-42 version 2 lens isn't very cheap compared to the EPL1 for $249 so I don't think practically anyone with the EPL1 would actually buy one so in the real world the EPM1 does focus much faster. When I need really fast focus, I will use my dslr.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2339 posts
416 upvotes
Edmonton
Anyone looking to buy lens upgrade = M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R

FS is selling for $329.99 and Olyumpus Canada is $249.99. PM and get it for $241.99. Not Super hot but better than FS price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 549214en02
https://us.buyolympus.com/canada/featur ... tions=cart

Also compatible with the E-PL1 that FS sold for $249.99 on Friday (Sold out within hours).
May 13, 2006
269 posts
76 upvotes
polypep wrote: Anyone looking to buy lens upgrade = M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm f4.0-5.6 R

FS is selling for $329.99 and Olyumpus Canada is $249.99. PM and get it for $241.99. Not Super hot but better than FS price.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/ ... 549214en02
https://us.buyolympus.com/canada/featur ... tions=cart

Also compatible with the E-PL1 that FS sold for $249.99 on Friday (Sold out within hours).

or if you don't mind refurbs
http://www.cameta.com/Olympus-M-Zuiko-4 ... -60254.cfm
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2007
2339 posts
416 upvotes
Edmonton

meh deal with shipping.

$11 USPS 1st class mail is the cheapest option which is difficult to trust with a $160 purchase (no tracking, no insurance).
$42 USPS Express mail or $49 FedEx. Add brokerage / processing fees + custom duties and you are better off buying at FS New and 5 yr warranty.

Good deal if you live close to US border and can pick up. (Not everyone has this luxury)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)