Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Rio Chiba 128MB - $97. A&B Sound

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 22nd, 2004 5:58 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts

Rio Chiba 128MB - $97. A&B Sound

It's on sale again, I'd buy this if I were you. I've owned three other mp3 players and this one is fantastic. Considering I have yet to buy a memory card for it, that says a lot.
27 replies
Feb 25, 2003
627 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
hmm I actually think these look quite ugly. I dunno... I just don't like them.
May 22, 2004
480 posts
21 upvotes
vancitydude wrote:hmm I actually think these look quite ugly. I dunno... I just don't like them.
Yeah, it's not a looker but great nonetheless. It's in my pocket or backpack most of the time so it doesn't matter what it looks like :)
Feb 18, 2003
52 posts
21 upvotes
Sun Peaks, BC
Anyone know if the format of the external cards on this model is PC compatible? I have a Rio s10 and the format is not Windows compatible so I can't use the SD card in my PPC or my PC. Would upgrade to the Cali if allows this.
Feb 22, 2004
288 posts
1 upvote
I currently own the Chiba 128MB. I brought this from the Future Shop for $99 + tax several week ago with free shipping.

I like this MP3 player. The sound is quite good if you use a better headphone. The only thing I don't like is can't display Chinese song name on the display.

I just test the SD card. I write file to the card using the player and than read the card from a card reader on another machine. It is no problem.

On the manual, it told us to use the Windows Explorer to format the player internal memory or the SD card. I believe it is using FAT32 format.

Note, there are 2 versions of the Chiba. I have the newer version that has black control stick. It support the windows storage format that no driver is required for Win2k and WinXP, and you can drag and drop the file. The older version has a red (or yellow) control stick and only can transfer file using Rio's program.

I only use the Rio's program to set up the playlist because the problem crash one time when I use this to delete a file in the player. It force me to format the player internal memory from Windows.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2003
3922 posts
305 upvotes
wstam wrote:I currently own the Chiba 128MB. I brought this from the Future Shop for $99 + tax several week ago with free shipping.

I like this MP3 player. The sound is quite good if you use a better headphone. The only thing I don't like is can't display Chinese song name on the display.

I just test the SD card. I write file to the card using the player and than read the card from a card reader on another machine. It is no problem.

On the manual, it told us to use the Windows Explorer to format the player internal memory or the SD card. I believe it is using FAT32 format.

Note, there are 2 versions of the Chiba. I have the newer version that has black control stick. It support the windows storage format that no driver is required for Win2k and WinXP, and you can drag and drop the file. The older version has a red (or yellow) control stick and only can transfer file using Rio's program.

I only use the Rio's program to set up the playlist because the problem crash one time when I use this to delete a file in the player. It force me to format the player internal memory from Windows.

What do you mean by "control stick?"

thanks
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts
wstam wrote:I currently own the Chiba 128MB. I brought this from the Future Shop for $99 + tax several week ago with free shipping.

Damn, I got the old one, oh well. I didn't know they had a new version... it's a good player, the only thing it needs is a better tuner and a carrying case and in the future hopefully above 90db sound quality.
May 22, 2004
480 posts
21 upvotes
"The older version has a red (or yellow) control stick and only can transfer file using Rio's program."

I bought mine from A&B and it has a red control stick. I don't need to install any software to transfer files over to the player. Just drag and drop from Explorer.
Feb 22, 2004
288 posts
1 upvote
I got the information from the Rio world forum.

Read this

On page 4, answer from nanook ( a Rio Employee,RioWorld Guru) clearly said that there are 2 version of Chiba256/128. "The unit with a black RioStick and/or has Napster on the back of the unit has Mass Storage Class feature"

fidoguydo, could you check the firmware version on your red RioStick player? (use the "About" menu on the player)

New player run with firmware v2.43 and old player run with v1.12.

May be the color of the RioStick is not a reliable indicator to seperate the version.

Mass Storage Class mean the Chiba will show up as an external drive on the Windows Explorer. My Chiba 128 show 2 external drives, one for internal memory and one for the SD Card.
Feb 18, 2003
52 posts
21 upvotes
Sun Peaks, BC
Is it just a case uf upgrading the firmware for it if you have the first generation to make it a second generation?
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts
WinoOutWest wrote:Is it just a case uf upgrading the firmware for it if you have the first generation to make it a second generation?
Don't think so. Luck of the draw.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2004
1783 posts
540 upvotes
Atic computers in Vancouver just got these Sandisk players in:

256MB $82 http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=10989
512MB $135 http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=10990
1 GIG $180 http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=10991

No rebates to deal with. I just listened to the 256MB unit that a guy at work just purchased. Good sound. USB 2.0 and a total copy of the iRiver player.

P.S. My friend said it displays Chinese characters too.
Feb 18, 2003
52 posts
21 upvotes
Sun Peaks, BC
Nice thing about the Chiba tho is the external memory slot.
Feb 22, 2004
288 posts
1 upvote
The Sandisk player do not support using SD Card. It is not comparable with Chiba.

As said in the Rio World Forum, the hardware of the older and the newer version for Chiba is not the same, so you can't flash the old one to support Mass Stoeage.
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts
wstam wrote:The Sandisk player do not support using SD Card. It is not comparable with Chiba.

As said in the Rio World Forum, the hardware of the older and the newer version for Chiba is not the same, so you can't flash the old one to support Mass Stoeage.
How much can you fit on the new version? You can fit upto 1G on the old, good for me, since I'll only be using 512MB.
Oct 20, 2002
256 posts
23 upvotes
Vancouver
Dealing with atic is justing asking for it. Terrible customer service.
Squeeky wrote:Atic computers in Vancouver just got these Sandisk players in:

256MB $82 http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=10989
512MB $135 http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=10990
1 GIG $180 http://www.atic.ca/index.php?page=LongDesc&sku=10991

No rebates to deal with. I just listened to the 256MB unit that a guy at work just purchased. Good sound. USB 2.0 and a total copy of the iRiver player.

P.S. My friend said it displays Chinese characters too.
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts
I just bought a Lexar 512MB SD Card for the Rio Chiba, is that a good one for it? Thanks.
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts
wstam wrote:I got the information from the Rio world forum.

Read this

On page 4, answer from nanook ( a Rio Employee,RioWorld Guru) clearly said that there are 2 version of Chiba256/128. "The unit with a black RioStick and/or has Napster on the back of the unit has Mass Storage Class feature"

fidoguydo, could you check the firmware version on your red RioStick player? (use the "About" menu on the player)

New player run with firmware v2.43 and old player run with v1.12.

May be the color of the RioStick is not a reliable indicator to seperate the version.

Mass Storage Class mean the Chiba will show up as an external drive on the Windows Explorer. My Chiba 128 show 2 external drives, one for internal memory and one for the SD Card.

When I connect my Chiba to the computer, it doesn't even pop up as a separate drive, how do I go about getting it to do that? The only way I transer music or am able to, is with the program installed. I haven't installed SD card yet, want to make sure I bought the right one (Lexar SD 512MB) and notice if it comes down in price or not, for boxing day...
Banned
Oct 28, 2004
301 posts
Anyone know which Rio Chiba is better? The one A&B was selling with (?) Mass Store Class Feature (black stick or Napster on the back) or the plain one which FS was selling?

MSC info:

BEWARE: Those who have never used MSC and think that it's the greatest thing since The Backstreet Boys might be in for a few surprises, e.g.

- DRM don't transfer over to device using MSC. Meaning if you've spent your hard-earned money from cutting lawn in your neighborhood on your favorite new Britney Spears album, purchased through...say, Napster, and use MSC to drag & drop the new album to your Chiba/Cali (with MSC-enabled), these tracks will simply *skip* and not playback on the device. This is because transferring using MSC does not transfer the DRM rights associated with this track to the device. This is simply a limitation of MSC, which does not differentiate content and know that a DRM is a DRM and that the license must be transferred with a DRM for the DRM to be able to be played back on a portable device. Applications does a much more elegant way of handling DRMs .

- Read-Only tracks won't playback on your devices. This is because MSC, again does not care what the properties of a track are. It only knows that it is now moving a file from one spot to another. What apps like RMM do is they strip the read-only property off a read-only file, allowing playback of track on a portable device.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)