• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2016 10:17 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Cool thanks. Yeah I only need it on my roku.

Are there any channels that perform a similar function for free?

I tried Roku media player and it pretty much couldn't recognize any of my movies.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2002
2769 posts
1331 upvotes
Guncho wrote: Cool thanks. Yeah I only need it on my roku.

Are there any channels that perform a similar function for free?

I tried Roku media player and it pretty much couldn't recognize any of my movies.
I would say just use plex and suck up the cost of the app. There are other services that do the same thing but nothing that has the polish of plex. Plex is already pretty complicated too.

at the end of the day, you bought a roku because it's suppose to be a simple way to consume content. if you didn't care about the simplicity, then you would've figured out how to transcode your media, put it on a USB drive and plug that into your TV and use the crappy TV media player to play content. And then rinse & repeat when you download new episodes/movies.

If you use plex, you download stuff, dump it in a directory, and the Plex media server just does everything else making the new content available for viewing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Guncho wrote: Are there any channels that perform a similar function for free?
RARflix, a free alternative Plex client for Roku. Lots of people use it. I have both RARflix and the official Plex Roku client, and they work pretty much the same except for minor details.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I hear you. It is pretty slick. It's just for a tv in the kitchen though so I'm not sure how how often I would want to watch a movie there.

The main tv is connected to an xbox 360 and the native 360 system video player is fine with me. Plex is also not available on the 360 yet.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1853 posts
319 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Is Rarflix available in Canada on Roku 1? I can't seem to find it but there is no search feature in the channel store that I can see.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
Guncho wrote: Is Rarflix available in Canada on Roku 1? I can't seem to find it but there is no search feature in the channel store that I can see.
Might be the US channel store...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Well, we could have a discussion thread about what might be... or you could actually just click on one of the RARflix links above. :)

Many Roku channels are not listed in the official channel store - you have to side-load them by clicking on channel link or entering the channel code in your Roku account.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: Well, we could have a discussion thread about what might be... or you could actually just click on one of the RARflix links above. :)

Many Roku channels are not listed in the official channel store - you have to side-load them by clicking on channel link or entering the channel code in your Roku account.
Good thing I could remember the PW for that account. I might retire the Roku now that I have the XBone hooked up. Multimedia support much better with latest updates. Can still use the XS for a gift for someone else though I'm seriously considering getting a 3 with the PayPal/Shop.ca deal...
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
Slightly off topic, sorry.

Thought those with Netflix might want to know St. Vincent is on Netflix France (Same day as theatre release).

Just finished watching it... pretty good flick.

Feb 25, 2008
73 posts
113 upvotes
Scarborough
am i crazy or is there no nba league pass/game time app for roku canada? i've checked the channel store and googled and i can't find it.

can anyone confirm if there is an official nba streaming app for roku in canada? what year is it? how can canada not have a league pass app?

btw, as it was mentioned above, rarplex is a great app for streaming personal content.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
dowlmane wrote: am i crazy or is there no nba league pass/game time app for roku canada? i've checked the channel store and googled and i can't find it.

can anyone confirm if there is an official nba streaming app for roku in canada? what year is it? how can canada not have a league pass app?

btw, as it was mentioned above, rarplex is a great app for streaming personal content.
There was... and there should be (Assuming you are using US firmware). If it's anything like Gamecenter they take it down before the season starts. It usually goes back up on opening day (http://leaguepasssupport.nba.com/link/p ... -Questions).

There is also Ballstreams as well.
Feb 25, 2008
73 posts
113 upvotes
Scarborough
walker2238 wrote: There was... and there should be (Assuming you are using US firmware). If it's anything like Gamecenter they take it down before the season starts. It usually goes back up on opening day (http://leaguepasssupport.nba.com/link/p ... -Questions).

There is also Ballstreams as well.
so it is only officially available in the us?

i only ask because id like to try it during the trial period.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2009
1948 posts
337 upvotes
dowlmane wrote: so it is only officially available in the us?

i only ask because id like to try it during the trial period.
League Pass or the channel for the Roku?

League Pass is available but if you're a Raptors fan you'll need a VPN or DNS service to bypass blackouts (I Don't know the different between LP in the US and Canada though, it might not be the same)

The Roku channel is US only.

I'm not much of a Basketball fan but from people who usually start looking into League Pass they usually end up using Ballstreams (Located in the Netherlands which doesn't recognize US laws).
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2653 posts
443 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
If you buy the Plex app for a Roku 3 say and you buy the Roku stick. Do you have to pay again? I have it for iOS and I know I don't there.

Wasn't sure for Roku devices on how to do that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
All your Roku devices can share one Roku account. The apps are tied to the account rather than the device, like iOS.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2006
2653 posts
443 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
JamesA1 wrote: All your Roku devices can share one Roku account. The apps are tied to the account rather than the device, like iOS.
So they just have to be registered to the same account. Okay perfect, thanks.

Been using Ratflix and it works fine so far for what I need so I'll continue there. Loving these little boxes so far.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10380 upvotes
JamesA1 wrote: RARflix, a free alternative Plex client for Roku. Lots of people use it. I have both RARflix and the official Plex Roku client, and they work pretty much the same except for minor details.
Would be great if this was available for other platforms but I don't see how you can sideload for say a 360 or XB1. Maybe at some future date. Also Plex made a big deal about being on Visio TVs? What happened? Rejected by LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, etc.? Like saying we are now partnered with Insignia...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
5744 posts
5510 upvotes
Toronto
Since the Roku 3 doesn't have a power button, has anyone used one of these IR wireless AC Power Switch Outlets to remotely shutoff the power to it?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261285341032

For the price, seems like worth a shot; they claim you can use your existing remote with it.

Hate leaving the Roku 3 on all the time and too lazy to get up and unplug the cable from the outlet everytime too.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)