Travel

Disney accommodation for a family with toddlers..best option?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 10th, 2014 12:41 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto

Disney accommodation for a family with toddlers..best option?

So I have most of our other part of the vacation booked but having a hard time deciding on a place to stay during the time we'll be in Orlando. Want to stay at a cheap place as we'll spend most of the time at the parks but at the same time would like some freedom so I can prepare meals myself.

Came across this groupon: https://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-bk-sta ... 2014-05-16

Wondering if this route would be better than say staying at a Holiday Inn Express for approx $65/night (not sure if there are resort fees on top of it).

We've never done this sort of house rental, and mainly worried about how safe these types of rental is? We're needing for May 12-16.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
Will you be renting a car and driving to the parks as well? While not an exceptionally cheap time to go, some times it is easier to stay at a value resort on Disney. You certainly won't get $65 nights at a value but likely somewhere around $100. If you are driving from a non-disney resort and parking you can easily add on $15+ plus per day, whereas disney resort guests park for free at all parks. The other benefits of extra magic hours and being very close to your resort and the end of the day is always a great perk!

That being said, you certainly won't be able to prepare your own meals in a value resort room so if it is that important then you are best to stay off-site. I like to suggest value resorts because in a lot of cases prices work out to be similar but you get the added magic (and benefits) of staying onsite.

*EDIT*
Generally those vacation homes are in gated resorts but check with the company to verify.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry for not adding additional details. We're driving from Toronto and will be returning from a cruise and checking into a orlando hotel/home. Also we have 3 kids so seems like most hotels only offer 2 double beds which would be a bit tight.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
In that case your best bet is likely an off-site resort. Plenty of gated vacation home areas to choose from near Disney and mostly at affordable rates. Companies like All-star vacations and Windsor Hills come to mind.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7430 posts
4677 upvotes
Ottawa
Personally, if I was looking for something like that, I'd look at vrbo.com or something like that which will be very similar to the groupon except that you'll have a lot more selection and input into what you are getting. That said, there is a risk since you're dealing with owners / rental companies directly.

That being said, if you are travelling with toddlers and older kids, you might want to consider staying onsite (which is way more expensive) because it would allow some to stay that the parks while others go back to the room / condo / whatever. Ours are 4 and 8 and my wife and I always split up at some point in the day and she goes back to the campground with our youngest while I stay at the park with our oldest (when we go to Disney we always go in our motor home and stay at FortWilderness). This year was the first time she didn't go back with him during the day but she still left 2-3 hours before me (in the past, she'd leave mid-day to put him down for his nap and return later in the day to join me again).
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5865 posts
1672 upvotes
London, ON
We stayed at a vacation rental (townhouse) in Kissimmee during March Break; ~10-20 min drive to Downtown Disney (depending on traffic); very close to a 24hr Walmart (15min walk?)

Lots of space for our two kids to play; there is a pool, fitness center, private lake, playground, gated entrance. Booked via Tripadvisor without any issues
💡😃😂😄
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks guys for the suggestions...spent a good few hours looking all over the place and decided to give hotwire a try. Ended up with 3.5* Mystic Dunes Resort (1 bedroom with full kitchen/parking) for 4 nights for $195 CAD with taxes. Pretty happy with what we got and feel for approx $49 with taxes it'll be a good compromise between a rented house and a hotel.
Dec 31, 2013
54 posts
28 upvotes
Westchester Station
Off resort- at their age you are going to want to get away from 'screaming' kids and relax! Rent a house!
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
For others who are reading this thread who haven't decided, here is my take.

I've stayed at Port Orleans - Riverside (onsite Disney hotel)....they have rooms which can accomodate 5 (with a trundle bed). As you're spending most of your time onsite, why not stay onsite...no need to rent a car if you stay onsite so money spent on car can go to accomodation.

No hot carts to get into after a long day at the parks, just get into a air conditioned bus or you can take the boat back to your hotel resort. Added to this you get early access to parks before everyone else which I recommend. If kids get tired, go back to the hotel, spend some time in the pool and then go back again to the park.

I highly recommend this especially for first timers to Disney who are going to Florida primarily for Disney and not for shopping etc.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: No hot carts to get into after a long day at the parks, just get into a air conditioned bus or you can take the boat back to your hotel resort. Added to this you get early access to parks before everyone else which I recommend. If kids get tired, go back to the hotel, spend some time in the pool and then go back again to the park.

I highly recommend this especially for first timers to Disney who are going to Florida primarily for Disney and not for shopping etc.
Perhaps, but there is so much more to see and do in Orlando than just Disney World.

Also, offsite is much better value - you get multi-room hotel condo for ~200 a night at a near by resort or an entire house for even less. Car rentals are very cheap in the Orlando area, almost a non-factor.

I would only recommend staying on Disney if: This is a 100% Disney themed vacation and you want to "keep the magic" or if you don't want to bother searching for accommodation and are happy with staying at Disney.

As for early access - only required during high season... if you're smart and visit Disney during the low season, there are almost no lines. I will never consider going to Disney except during low-season, otherwise you're just glutton for punishment.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
coolspot wrote: Perhaps, but there is so much more to see and do in Orlando than just Disney World.

Also, offsite is much better value - you get multi-room hotel condo for ~200 a night at a near by resort or an entire house for even less. Car rentals are very cheap in the Orlando area, almost a non-factor.

I would only recommend staying on Disney if: This is a 100% Disney themed vacation and you want to "keep the magic" or if you don't want to bother searching for accommodation and are happy with staying at Disney.

As for early access - only required during high season... if you're smart and visit Disney during the low season, there are almost no lines. I will never consider going to Disney except during low-season, otherwise you're just glutton for punishment.
Don't disagree that there's stuff to do in Orlando or that car rental is cheap (relatively). That's why I said: "especially for first timers to Disney who are going to Florida primarily for Disney and not for shopping etc." You can save some money by ordering in some "groceries" into the resort for snacks and water and breakfast....there are companies who do this. I ordered some cereal, juice, milk, cases of water and snacks to save a few bucks vs paying resort prices a la carte.

Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
gr8dlr wrote: Don't disagree that there's stuff to do in Orlando or that car rental is cheap (relatively). That's why I said: "especially for first timers to Disney who are going to Florida primarily for Disney and not for shopping etc." You can save some money by ordering in some "groceries" into the resort for snacks and water and breakfast....there are companies who do this. I ordered some cereal, juice, milk, cases of water and snacks to save a few bucks vs paying resort prices a la carte.
and alcohol but easier to just go to the hess at the boardwalk or close to DDT and get some beer there. decent price. not disney price...
Left rfd
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
I visit Orlando almost every year and we ALWAYS stay on-site regardless if its a disney-centric vacation. I love the atmosphere of their resorts (we tend to stay moderate or deluxe including DVC) as well as the free dining we've gotten every single year we've visited. I do understand why people stay off-site but at the end of the day there is definitely good value in staying on-site (not just $$$). You will certainly pay more but the convince and atmosphere is rarely replaced by off-site hotels. We also rent a car while in Orlando and we are usually 5-15 min tops from park to resort room (which makes all the difference during mornings and evenings when tired).
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21702 posts
17375 upvotes
Markham
One of the best thing about Port Orleans Riverside is you're on the water (Sassagoula River) and you can take boat transportation to Downtown Disney as well as to some of the other waterside resorts and dine there (go to the French Quarter and have some fresh and hot beignets!)....very relaxing and peaceful way to get around vs getting on a bus or taking your own car...For the little bit of extra $ (especially if you're not paying for a rental car for which you also have to pay gas and possibly car insurance), it was great in my opinion.

Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
gr8dlr wrote: One of the best thing about Port Orleans Riverside is you're on the water (Sassagoula River) and you can take boat transportation to Downtown Disney as well as to some of the other waterside resorts and dine there (go to the French Quarter and have some fresh and hot beignets!)....very relaxing and peaceful way to get around vs getting on a bus or taking your own car...For the little bit of extra $ (especially if you're not paying for a rental car for which you also have to pay gas and possibly car insurance), it was great in my opinion.
+1 for Port Orleans.
Banned
Jul 6, 2011
1284 posts
37 upvotes
Then there is Animal Kingdom Lodge.....you can't be the Safari feel of it with all the animals roaming freely and you seeing them from your balcony. There are days you wake up and think you are in Namibia or Botswana (both places offer the best Safari in my opinion), and yes I have done the over commercialized Kenyan one too but on my own itinerary
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
I think AK Lodge is great option for people! For those not in the know, renting DVC points can provide people a chance to stay in the Savannah facing rooms for a VERY reasonable rate. A week in may with a savannah facing room could run as low as $200 (Comparable to renting a moderate through Disney) by renting a DVC unit.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
RyanS219 wrote: A week in may with a savannah facing room could run as low as $200 (Comparable to renting a moderate through Disney) by renting a DVC unit.
Is that $200 per week or $200 per day? How do you rent DVC points or units, do you find DVC owners online?
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
2174 posts
547 upvotes
St. Johns
That is $200 per night! Of course it isn't cheap as off-resort but you get to stay in Disney's best rooms which easily run for $400-$500+ per night.

The best option for renting DVC points for bookings would be through a broker. Google David's DVC or DVC Rental Shop. These companies basically do all the booking for you for a set price. The best thing about going through these companies is that they are 100% guaranteed. They will assist you by booking the resort, getting tickets, meal plans etc...

The other option would be to buy directly from the owners of the DVC. Check out DIS-Boards for a fantastic forum on buying/finding owners. Of course there is some inherent risk with this option as you will be dealing directly with the owner who does the booking (ie. sending them the money to book on your behalf). This shouldn't scare you off though because TONS of people book directly through the owners with no issues at all. Best thing about this option is that it will be typically cheaper then through a broker company.

Feel free to ask any questions (or PM), I'm VERY familiar with the process

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)