Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1204 posts
141 upvotes
Markham

VPN Recommendations

I was hoping to get some recommendation on a good VPN to use. The primary use will be for Netflix and want to be able to have one that is capable of simultaneous use and gets good speed as well. I primarily use it on the iPad.

I was with HMA when I first started using the VPN and it was great, but then didn't renew it. Currently the price is $79 so its a bit steep for casual use. I recently signed up for Octane but found the service to be really slow when using it.

Any good value VPN that people recommend?
22 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
A DNS service would be better for what you want to do. Doesn't limit your streaming performance.

The problem with VPN services is that if they are cheap and popular they attract too many users, and it's all too easy for them to keep adding customers without increasing capacity to match. Many of them start off good, and then deteriorate as they decide to take profits instead of investing. Since all your traffic flows through the VPN servers, you are completely dependent on how much capacity they have.
Feb 7, 2011
209 posts
39 upvotes
Mirabel
Build your own.
Buy a small US VPS, install pptpd and you are good.

I personally use a small BuyVM 15$/year VPS on both my phone (android) and my computer. Easy to configure in both.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2007
1204 posts
141 upvotes
Markham
jamchatt wrote: I use private internet access ( https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/), i have used for last two years with no problem...check it out.
I was looking at this...on one review it was saying that speeds seem to be quite slow due to its popularity is that true?
Oct 24, 2013
517 posts
122 upvotes
Ontario
sign up for a year free service with http://aws.amazon.com/ and get free 720h a month for a mirco server service. Install one of the free vpn or dns virtual machine images from the aws market place. See how it works for you. Friend currently in Europe is using netflix that way.

(And thank me, if you did it and liked it! :) )
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
rapsrealm wrote: I was looking at this...on one review it was saying that speeds seem to be quite slow due to its popularity is that true?
Appears to be slower during prime time hours Toronto time, that would be 8pm-midnight. That could change if they add more capacity later on.
Oct 25, 2012
236 posts
48 upvotes
North York
Using ibVPN for almost 2 years. Good speeds at all times.
Maxing out 2,5 MB/sec torrent download out of 25 Mb/sec connection between 7 and 10 pm.
Don't go long commitment, try several providers month by month.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
mcmn243 wrote: Using ibVPN for almost 2 years. Good speeds at all times.
The web page says "Torrent & P2P are not allowed!" on the USA and Canada plan. Is that just a cover your butt statement, or is that something they actually enforce.
Oct 25, 2012
236 posts
48 upvotes
North York
Read carefully Plans page. Torrents are allowed on Ultimate VPN, Total VPN and Torrent VPN.
First year I had 'Torrent VPN' plan $36.95- torrent allowed. Not interested in US DNS, US Netflix etc.
Second year I got 50% off promotion and took Ultimate VPN for $42 and I have everything including torrent in Ca, NL and LU.
For five bucks a year maybe I'll use two simultaneous connections.
I've already tried a few US and CA regular servers, not torrents, the speed is almost 25 Mb/sec.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2010
1879 posts
1407 upvotes
Barrie ON
mcmn243 wrote: Read carefully Plans page. Torrents are allowed on Ultimate VPN, Total VPN and Torrent VPN.
yes I read carefully. It says if you are using a server outside of USA and Canada you are allowed use torrents. I'm sure they are saying "no torrents" on the USA and Canadian servers to prevent problems with the DMCA regulations. The question was, will they actually be monitoring what I use the service for, and would they enforce this limitation, or is it just a statement to protect themselves. Obviously I would like to get least expensive plan that would suit my requirements.

Edit: It seems the Ultimate plan does allow torrents from the CA site.
Oct 25, 2012
236 posts
48 upvotes
North York
From their Privacy Policy:
2. LOGGING POLICY

We do not spy on our users and we don’t monitor their Internet usage. We do not keep logs with our users’ activity. We will however record and keep the following data for 7 days:
•Time, date and location VPN connection was made.
•Duration of the VPN connection.
•Bandwidth used during the connection.
This information enables ibVPN to enforce our Terms of Service, spam, crimes using the service, etc. If there is a violation we will use these trace logs to determine which account is in violation and we will terminate the service and/or take further action.

I got on my P2P torrent server list:
3 from NL
2 from CA
1 from LU

Anyway, I'm sure every single VPN provider will keep some data for 7-14 days or even more and they won't admit it.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
2045 posts
637 upvotes
BC
My bad :D
“The difference between humans and animals? Animals would never allow the dumbest ones to lead the pack.”

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)