Wind US Unlimited Roaming - NOT Unlimited

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 6th, 2015 9:53 am
Tags:
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
gilboman wrote: So is it 1gb per month? Day? What?
English buddy, it's there in plain English.

Did you even read the link provided for you?
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
djino wrote: Wind has updated their fair usage policy for data roaming in the US. http://www.windmobile.ca/docs/default-s ... f?sfvrsn=4

It is now 1GB before throttling takes affect.

Djino
That's great, but no mention of call/text

Also note the last paragraph on roaming and primary usage needs to be in service area. Primary usage is still too vague

Actual used texts/min/data in service area, what percentage, and more unknowns. This won't be the end of it
Your Rights as a Wireless Consumer - http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/INFO_SHT/t15.htm

An Android a day keeps the Apple away.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
AndroidRootGuy wrote: That's great, but no mention of call/text

Also note the last paragraph on roaming and primary usage needs to be in service area. Primary usage is still too vague

Actual used texts/min/data in service area, what percentage, and more unknowns. This won't be the end of it

it now says
All calls will be disconnected and require a re-dial after a 2 hour duration. Where reasonable, WIND will provide
you with notice of improper usage before suspension or termination of your service
and, if appropriate, WIND
may offer you an alternative plan.
at least they won't terminated now without warning?
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Keigotw wrote: For data T-Mobile do mention 1st 200MB is 4G, after that is 3G unlimited

voice and txt as I know is unlimited
Correction: 200 MB of LTE and unlimited 2G, not 3G as you stated.

EDIT: All post paid and prepaid plans comes with throttled 2G unlimited data after hitting whatever cap is set for the plans

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay- ... hone-plans
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
E2EK1EL wrote: Correction: 200 MB of LTE and unlimited 2G, not 3G as you stated.

http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay- ... hone-plans
Second correction. Tmobile is first 200mb on 4g (NOT LTE) and rest on 2g.

Tmobile differentiates 4g and 4g LTE. 4G in laymen speak is 3g on boosters.. HSDPA 42Mb + if and when supported.

Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
AndroidRootGuy wrote: Second correction. Tmobile is first 200mb on 4g (NOT LTE) and rest on 2g.

Tmobile differentiates 4g and 4g LTE. 4G in laymen speak is 3g on boosters.. HSDPA 42Mb + if and when supported.

My T-Mobile $3 / Day Prepaid Speedtest in the US

Buffalo Peace Bridge

ImageImage

NYC

ImageImage

Somewhere in VA

HSPA+

This is where it gets a bit tricky. High-speed packet access, or HSPA, is a third-generation (3G) data technology that’s widely used today. A faster version, HSPA+, has been widely considered 3.5G, until the ITU decision in December opened up those terms to a more liberal interpretation. Sprint, Verizon and AT&T weren’t happy. The technology is an incremental approach to upgrading existing HSPA networks, not a whole new generation of technology.

Still, the ITU decision means carriers can start referring to their HSPA+ networks as 4G.

*In short: Real "4G" is technically 100 Mbps - 1Gbps. Special thanks to the International Telecommunication Union, the US carriers are now allowed to re-brand their HSPA+ 21Mbps and DC-HSPA+ 42 Mbps as 4G. You can also through in Sprint's WiMax in there too*
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2012
1765 posts
344 upvotes
Mississauga
Excellent information.

Looks like your first photo is stating LTE and then 4g in others. Tmobile seems to be giving LTE coverage for prepaid is awesome news, but against their wording on prepaid page

Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
AndroidRootGuy wrote: Excellent information.

Looks like your first photo is stating LTE and then 4g in others. Tmobile seems to be giving LTE coverage for prepaid is awesome news, but against their wording on prepaid page

The sad part about this saga I've experienced since 2008; my, your and our friends down south had been brainwashed by bogus marketing the day Sprint launched their WiMax network and all hell broke lose after the ITU World Radiocommunication Seminar in Geneva in 2010. All I hear from my buddies in the US is "We have 4G here, there, 4G this and 4G that", all qouted from their carrier's marketing and branding.

The most depressing chapter to this nonsense, BELLUS has decided to market and rebrand their networks too in 2011

Regarding my screenshots, #1-4 are LTE and #5 is HSPA aka America's 4G. In #3-4 I was in NYC Chinatown Manhattan & Wall Street and the signal / speed was quite weak. Times Square LTE coverage was the same strength and speed as Rogers in Toronto, unfortunately I didn't take screenshot due to insane tourist traffic in that area.

Sorry for hijacking, back to the topic of Wind's US Unlimited Roaming package.
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
ceredon wrote: English buddy, it's there in plain English.

Did you even read the link provided for you?
Nope..because I was talking to the poster who said 1gb...so I asked him 1gb for how long... Much like when I'm talking with somebody ..I ask them a followup question if they say something and I would like clarification

But if its capped now they should at least make it AT&T data only...T-Mobile is crap in places I've used which is in Miami/Orlando/ft Lauderdale and Vegas,LA
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
gilboman wrote: Nope..because I was talking to the poster who said 1gb...so I asked him 1gb for how long... Much like when I'm talking with somebody
Well duh. That's the user that posted the link.

Can't always expect people to hold your hand. The info was already provided.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
bluebellrose wrote: chatting while driving is still the same. doesn't matter if he was using a bluetooth headset or a cell phone. His attention was still divided. I repeat my stance. I do not want to be on the same road as this dude as he clearly cannot give his undivided attention to the task at hand which is driving. You do not have to be chatting on a cell phone to be distracted. You can be chatting to a passenger and be distracted. This guy was chatting on his cell using the handspree option. His attention is still divided. One half of his brain on the road and the other have involved in a convo. What next? Complain to wind when he ends up in a traffic accident and ask wind why didn't they disconnect him for "excessive" usage?
While I don't condone this during in city driving (even though cabbies do it all the time) for uncongested highway driving I see nothing wrong with this.
There's not much that changes on the highway. If you can't divide your attention between a call and a long boring monotonous road there's something wrong.
If anything having a conversation might be BETTER than driving alone if you're prone to falling asleep.

Again, not that I condone it, but if you want the ultimate touch of irony, there's been a few times where I've driven on the highway while watching Canada's Worst Driver.

While your post does have a point (Mythbusters did a test with someone holding a phone with intense brain utilizing conversation) and they all failed a driving course with extreme driving maneuvers.
But there's a difference between having to do mathematical calculations or logic problems while trying to do an extreme driving course and being on a highway with little to distract you while asking the wife how her day was.
Psykopathik wrote: im most amazed by this mans ability to talk on the phone for almost 3 hours every day for 30 days. who is he talking to? that is some dedicated person to be tied to a phone for 3 hours a day and pretty much cant do anything else. I mean I can't even talk to my best friends for 3 hours a day and expect to have ANYTHING left to say about anything.
There's no reason the person on the other end of the line can't have a handsfree device and do other things.
Well unless you're bluebellrose and can't multitask.
Back in the day I had a headset attached to my wireless phone and would spend hours on the phone.
Nowadays most people just text but that didn't exist when I was younger. And when it did, we T9ed it.
We didn't have those fancy touchscreen keyboards of today.
What I really don't understand is those people that send 90000 texts a month.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
AndroidRootGuy wrote: Excellent information.

Another page for the $3/day
says
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Unlimited Talk
Black Medium Small SquareUnlimited Text
Black Medium Small SquareUnlimited Web - Up to 200 MB of 4G LTE Data

So is LTE
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Keigotw wrote: Another page for the $3/day
says
http://prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/prepaid-plans

Unlimited Talk
Black Medium Small SquareUnlimited Text
Black Medium Small SquareUnlimited Web - Up to 200 MB of 4G LTE Data

So is LTE
I looked at that last month before heading on a trip down south. It says unlimited web browsing so I wasn't sure what ports may be blocked and I also needed tethering which I could not find any information on. Can anyone confirm if these would be issues?

In the end, I just grabbed a Roam Mobility SIM and paid for a week. It work fine since I needed to be able to call back to Canada and TMo didn't have that included but would have been great for regular local use.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Nov 13, 2013
166 posts
47 upvotes
Toronto
Haz wrote: I looked at that last month before heading on a trip down south. It says unlimited web browsing so I wasn't sure what ports may be blocked and I also needed tethering which I could not find any information on. Can anyone confirm if these would be issues?

In the end, I just grabbed a Roam Mobility SIM and paid for a week. It work fine since I needed to be able to call back to Canada and TMo didn't have that included but would have been great for regular local use.
200 MB of LTE and Unlimited 2G of "DATA", no personal hotspots aka tethering to other devices.

Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Haz wrote: I looked at that last month before heading on a trip down south. It says unlimited web browsing so I wasn't sure what ports may be blocked and I also needed tethering which I could not find any information on. Can anyone confirm if these would be issues?

was able to use Fongo to call back Canada using $3/Day T-mobile

Does Roam mobility allow tethering with their $3 day plan? ( I know is still t-mobile )
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Keigotw wrote: was able to use Fongo to call back Canada using $3/Day T-mobile
You can also use Google Voice which includes calls and text back to Canada and you don't have to use a voip app like fongo that depends on your data connection.

Djino
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
djino wrote: You can also use Google Voice which includes calls and text back to Canada and you don't have to use a voip app like fongo that depends on your data connection.

Djino
But with Fongo. People in Canada can call back, and is local call for them
Landline to Fongo. Is better than app to app
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Banned
Jan 11, 2004
19816 posts
572 upvotes
ceredon wrote: Well duh. That's the user that posted the link.

Can't always expect people to hold your hand. The info was already provided.
why not? you expect the big telcos to knock on your door and explain everything and explain again when they send you texts..I mean you said they should tell you not only the bandwidth included and not only the number of web pages (since 50 mb means nothing you said)..... at least I didn't ask how many pages of thestar 1gb can be...what about globeandmail? lol

so are you okay now with providing information now and not a few tutorial classes and a few days of babysitting?

you keep talking about the big telcos should babysit and explain everythign in ELI5 format a few times..I"m a rogers customers..why discriminate? why do you expect me to read a link now? lol... or have you changed position and think sending multiple texts warning of roaming, what data packages are available, how many pages/pics the said data bundle includes is enough?

why the doublestandard?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)