Buying house right across a school

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2014 12:22 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 2, 2007
933 posts
48 upvotes
There's pros and cons to this. The cons are mentioned above already so lets talk about some of the pros?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
It really depends on the neigbhoorhood...are you talking about newer suburbs or old parts of the city or on major roads?

I live in a newer suburb area...10 years old, and I see very little of a traffic issue, hardly any traffic really.

the houses facing the school have appreciated inline with all the other price increases away from the school....nor have i seen a house for sale for an extended period of time unsold facing the school.

In older neighourhoods perhaps? it might be an issue?
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
lazymonkeygod wrote: There's pros and cons to this. The cons are mentioned above already so lets talk about some of the pros?
if you have kids...easy access to either playgrounds etc...

I grew up 4 mins from a school...i was using it a good 4 times aweek while growing up ....base ball diamond, basketball court, playground etc., a more healthy environment for kids

also was able to go home sometimes during lunch (policy is different in public schools now)...
Jul 10, 2005
380 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lazymonkeygod wrote: There's pros and cons to this. The cons are mentioned above already so lets talk about some of the pros?
For pros...besides the obvious (convenient for families with kids), I'm guessing

- the streets nearby will be properly maintained/plowed in the winter, or at least amongst the first to be plowed I assume
- less chances of break-in during the day, since there are just way too many potential witnesses?

I think you have to be pretty creative to come up with other pros.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5768 posts
3612 upvotes
Honestly, if you post any house, layout, configuration, situation on here there will be lots and lots of posts telling you it will be a bad idea.

e.g. House on a quiet cul de sac backing onto a ravine. People will post: Cul De Sac - bad feng shui, will hurt resale. Backs onto ravine, tons of mosquitos. More leaves to cleanup in the fall. Stay away!

So ultimately it's up to you, but it's fact that houses that back onto parks have a premium and it is considered a desirable feature for more people than not. But of course not everyone (e.g. those without kids or who are bothered by kids).
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1864 posts
1174 upvotes
GTA
I LOVE the location of my house. And yes - I am right across from the rear yard of the school. It's PERFECT!

1) First to be plowed, each and every single snow day!
2) I can see my daughter during recess/lunch - she can't skip class even if she tried bwahaha (granted, she's only 7... I still have time, I know!)
3) The view is awesome. No house in my direct site line.
4) The park/track/yard... it's another oasis right in front of my house that I never have to mow or clean!
5) There are signs during school hours for the loading/unloading zones and bus routes, so I'm rarely inconvenienced at all.
6) If there are any fireworks, guess who has front row seats!
7) I don't have to pay for an ugly playground for my backyard..... my daughter and her friends can have as much fun running right across the street!
8) Safety. There are always lights on around the school. (Obviously this also depends on the neighbourhood!)
9) Extra parking. If I am having a HUGE party, I have tons of parking at the school available!

ETA: My house was purchased in 2005 for $340,000 and can sell in today's market for $900,000. There ya go... it has certainly not affected my resale! :) It really has a lot to do with location, lot size, etc...

As a buyer, a corner lot is not my ideal as you will be responsible for shovelling both sides, you will have more people crossing through, etc...
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
loriblum wrote: I LOVE the location of my house. And yes - I am right across from the rear yard of the school. It's PERFECT!

+1

Of all of you who think backing onto the school yard is so terrible, which one of you actually lived in a house like this? Please raise your hands.

I have and I would do it again, liked it much better than having neighbours behind me.
May 18, 2011
531 posts
75 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I am a Realtor and I have clients that love and ask to be across the road or very close to a school if possible. I always explain the advantages and disadvantages to them, but at the end of the day they have to make their own informed decision. In my opinion, I would not want to live directly across from a school and I would not recommend it, however if it is the perfect house, it should not be a deal breaker.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1864 posts
1174 upvotes
GTA
I think it also depends on the school.

Are we talking a school with 850 students or a school with 150 students? I mean, really, think about the logistics before answering the question. So many relevant questions need to be asked before coming up with a response (in my opinion).

To elaborate on my own response above, we have 170 students at my daughter's school so the impact is fairly small. As well, I don't cross through the traffic at 8:30am so it really has zero effect on me. Everybody has different lifestyles so what works for some might not work for others.
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Jan 2, 2007
933 posts
48 upvotes
Also depends on what side of the school you're talking about...traffic jams often happen at drop off zones of school so if you life across from that zone then you'll see the problem. I wouldn't mind living across from the ball park sides of the school though. Non obstructed view, close access to park, convenience for my son when he's old enough to go to school. There's a lot of plus to this.
Jul 10, 2005
380 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lazymonkeygod wrote: I wouldn't mind living across from the ball park sides of the school though. Non obstructed view, close access to park, convenience for my son when he's old enough to go to school. There's a lot of plus to this.
In that case, then it depends on whether there will be people at home during school time...the kids can be pretty noisey during recesses and lunch time. If your backyard is close to the fields, then you may even have to deal with balls in your backyard...or worse...kids climbing your fence to get the ball back. <--- This is drawing from my experience as an elementary school kid :) .
Jun 26, 2005
81 posts
20 upvotes
sooperG wrote: Any experiences with living right across a public junior school? Does living across a school decrease the value of the house? This house is in a corner lot too. Not sure if that increases or decreases the value. Any thoughts?
i live right across from a public junior school, and there are also 3 other schools not more than a block away, and there's a pre-school behind the junior school. i have not experienced any of the negative things mentioned in this thread. there's lots of green park space, the school has lots of old trees and is covered in ivy, i can go play basketball or baseball or soccer after work at the school, it's easy to go vote, and when i have kids it'll be convenient to just cross the street to drop them off.

and another benefit is that sex offenders won't be allowed to live anywhere near a school.
Jan 2, 2007
933 posts
48 upvotes
My wife and I both work days so no one will be home during school time. The good thing is my kid will be able to walk home for lunch, at least I hope he will grow up to be responsible enough to do that without me worrying. I use to walk through my neighbors yard and climbed his fence to get to the school. Those were good times, I wouldn't mind it as much as my neighbor use to :)
calluses wrote: In that case, then it depends on whether there will be people at home during school time...the kids can be pretty noisey during recesses and lunch time. If your backyard is close to the fields, then you may even have to deal with balls in your backyard...or worse...kids climbing your fence to get the ball back. <--- This is drawing from my experience as an elementary school kid :) .
Jan 2, 2007
933 posts
48 upvotes
You should be more afraid of the ones that haven't been caught yet...
analog wrote: and another benefit is that sex offenders won't be allowed to live anywhere near a school.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
7571 posts
3145 upvotes
Canada
I lived near a school and I would never do it again. The noise just gets to you after a while. If you want to sleep extra, you wont' be able to. Add traffic and it's all a big negative
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
3586 posts
1993 upvotes
Whitehorse
If there are school buses, you will have to stop and wait. A lot.
Sep 16, 2009
163 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Yesterday, we saw a house that is few houses down from a daycare! :o

Is daycare going to be equally bad?
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
sooperG wrote: Yesterday, we saw a house that is few houses down from a daycare! :o

Is daycare going to be equally bad?
Yes, it's horrible, I would never live close to daycare.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10358 posts
1482 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I would not buy the house across the school or park, just too much traffic. Close walking distance to them is good enough for me :)
Sep 16, 2009
163 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
Homerhomer wrote: Yes, it's horrible, I would never live close to daycare.
I'm not sure what to do. Every house we've seen so far has something wrong going for it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)