Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Home Depot

Weber Smokey Mountain 18.5" $170

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2016 2:44 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1370 posts
265 upvotes
Winnipeg
Homerhomer wrote: thanks for the picture, I had a smoke like the one in the background going for about 45 minutes, started in the chimney and continued in the smoker.
and that could be totally normal. I usually have about 20 min worth of the white smoke in my weber 22.5 kettle. I find once you start dialing in (closing down bottom vents) that it settles quicker, but thats just me. Also, small variables such as type of charoal/briquettes, how they were stored, could be factors as well.
Aug 5, 2005
443 posts
540 upvotes
hyperactiveme wrote: Don't use brickets.....Ever. Use lump coal,Maple Leaf is good. I've never had issue with Kingsford either. Do a quick YouTube search and you'll see how to get it going.
This is kind of a silly statement.

I use lump in my Big Steel Keg, lump in my OTG, but *never* in my WSM.

A) It doesn't burn nearly as long - try getting a 12+ hour cook at 225 on lump.
B) You get WAY more temperature spikes using lump (if a big piece catches, for example)
C) If you want consistent heat, you have to sort through the lump to get similar sized pieces.

You just can't beat the consistency of briquettes. Yes - they produce more ash - but it's worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1402 posts
193 upvotes
I usually only get an initial 20 minutes or so of heightened level of smoke. I use just one sheet of a tabloid size paper in a donut shape at the bottom of chimney. Only when the paper has fully gone and the coals have been going a while do I put on the smoker. It takes me a while to get food on and by then the smoke has died down.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
retr0 wrote: This is kind of a silly statement.
I gave you a thumbs up for explaining yourself, even though your wrong
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
Don't thinks its the fuel. It's from using the chimney with paper. Mine makes alot of smoke too which is why I stopped using paper. I now use the Weber lighting cubes. They work great with minimal smoke. I haven't tried paper towel soaked in oil. Not sure how that smokes.
Homerhomer wrote: What are you guys using for the fuel in your smoker? I bought kingsford bricketts from HD and the amount of smoke it creates is insane, I mean all windows in the have to be closed (and not only mine, neighbours as well), soon I will have not only the neighbours complaining (and I can't blame them, I would be pissed if I were them) but somebody will call fire department.
At first I thought I was doing something wrong, but I think it has to be the brickets, the insane amount of smoke starts in the chimney (started with some paper at the bottom), and then continues for a long time in the smoker.

I think I need to try different fuel, any ideas?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
Try 100% cotton balls with little oil. A bag is a couple bucks for 50-100 cotton balls depending where you shop.
Aug 5, 2005
443 posts
540 upvotes
I agree, it is always a matter of choice, and no one will win the lump vs briquette debate. That being said....

You can't be exactly sure what's in a briquette, but there are ratings online. Kingsford easily wins for this.

And if you are burning lump, and aren't adjusting your vents very often, a spike can certainly ruin your cook if it shoots up 10 or 30 degrees for an hour or until you get out to close the dampers.

So to say 'you're wrong' is not only an insult, it also proves that you haven't had enough experience to even make that statement.

Cheers.
Sep 15, 2008
10 posts
2 upvotes
Montreal, QC
witiku wrote: Man I hate fighting with HD over price match crap in Quebec, it really depends on which way the wind is blowing whether they want to bother giving you the better price. I went to a MTL store tonight and they told me, sorry we can't price match Ontario prices. I'm going to try with the Qc reciept, maybe I'll have better luck. I can't wait for Lowes to get here, I'm so done with HD BS. Thanks for the posting the receipt SiLiZiumm

Edit: Still no dice. The MTL guys said that it's a SKU that is selling well so it's $259 on the Island instead of off Island, where they're selling it for $170. Can I call one of the Ottawa stores, pay for it and pick it up when I'm there next week? I've never done that but I'm gonna try. Believe it or not, it's my wife really wants this puppy.
[IMG]http://tinypic.com/r/34xl73d/8[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i60.tinypic.com/34xl73d.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
retr0 wrote: So to say 'you're wrong' is not only an insult, it also proves that you haven't had enough experience to even make that statement.
Dude, relax. This means not so serious
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1370 posts
265 upvotes
Winnipeg
I've found that the Kingsford bags i've been getting has a stronger taste/smell of what you're referring to. about 3 or 4 years ago their briquettes were fine with me, but for some reason there is something that i seem to be picking up. I'm guessing they are using more filler to cut costs, but don't quote me on that. It's just my guess. Still use it from time to time with my go anywhere. I would never say never use briquettes, they have their place.

My go to is Royal Oak Lump. I find you get good decent size pieces, and Walmart sells the 4kg bag for about 6 bucks.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
AirTimid wrote: Don't I haven't tried paper towel soaked in oil. Not sure how that smokes.
I have actually soaked it in a bit of oil first time and thought this caused the problem, so the second time I just used the paper with nothing (cleaned the smoker before using it second time) and go the same results.

I am gonna give my bag to my buddy to see if he has issues with it as well, this will tell me if it's the product or me. He gets barely any white smoke when starting his.

Thank you for the replies everyone.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
popcorneater wrote: I've found that the Kingsford bags i've been getting has a stronger taste/smell of what you're referring to. about 3 or 4 years ago their briquettes were fine with me, but for some reason there is something that i seem to be picking up. I'm guessing they are using more filler to cut costs, but don't quote me on that. It's just my guess.
There's been a bunch of complaints about that for a while on the smoking forums. If you like briquttes, try maple leaf.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2008
5026 posts
1789 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
White smoke is generally ok. It's the blue smoke you want to avoid.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2003
7813 posts
852 upvotes
Vancouver
$259 in BC if it was $170 I would be on it stat, may consider the 14.5 if I can get it cheap
Aug 5, 2005
443 posts
540 upvotes
I'm sorry this had to divulge into a typical Internet/RFD debate. The difference is that i provided facts, not opinion as to why a certain product is better for a certain type of environment. You provided opinion, stating that 'you can taste the briquettes'.

Everything has it's place. So to say something along the lines of 'Never ever' is ridiculous. That's my opinion.

To each their own. I'll have to go home soon to get some more experience.

Cheers.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1476 posts
473 upvotes
Halifax
The amount of smoke you're experiencing sounds unusual. Are the briquettes damp? Maybe you just got a bad bag. It's kingsford blue, not the competition or easy to light kind ? Try the weber cubes. They are awesome. Avoid the zippy ones you can get at Canadian Tire or the grocery store. They stink and they suck.
Homerhomer wrote: I have actually soaked it in a bit of oil first time and thought this caused the problem, so the second time I just used the paper with nothing (cleaned the smoker before using it second time) and go the same results.

I am gonna give my bag to my buddy to see if he has issues with it as well, this will tell me if it's the product or me. He gets barely any white smoke when starting his.

Thank you for the replies everyone.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
4114 posts
2261 upvotes
Toronto
damn any more of these around the GTA. My uncle just told me he's got the larger version of this and it's a great smoker.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
AirTimid wrote: The amount of smoke you're experiencing sounds unusual. Are the briquettes damp? Maybe you just got a bad bag. It's kingsford blue, not the competition or easy to light kind ? Try the weber cubes. They are awesome. Avoid the zippy ones you can get at Canadian Tire or the grocery store. They stink and they suck.
thank you, it's this kind
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/kingsfo ... bag/996948
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
I use briquettes.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_techniq ... rcoal.html

If your charcoal is smoking a lot, then it is not properly lit. Use a chimney starter.

From CI:

[QUOTE]Conventional wisdom dictates that hardwood (or "lump") charcoal flames up fast and furious, while charcoal briquettes burn low and slow. For that reason, most of the outdoor-cooking guides in our library (including our own) recommend briquettes for barbecue (cooking ribs and briskets) and hardwood for quick, direct-heat grilling (cooking burgers, steaks, and chops). Two dozen grilling gurus couldn't be wrong, right? We headed to the test kitchen's back alley to find out.

We filled 6-quart chimneys with either hardwood charcoal or briquettes. Just before lighting the match, we outfitted the cooking grate with seven thermocouples -- wire probes that feed temperature data to an attached console -- and set about recording heat levels at five-minute intervals. We ran the tests a dozen times and then analyzed our data.

The results were startling. In every test, the briquettes burned as hot, or hotter, than the hardwood. In the grilling tests, the fires produce nearly identical heat for about 30 minutes-enough time for most quick grilling tasks. From there on, the hardwood coals quickly turn into piles of ash, while the briquettes slowly lost heat.

As we've always contested, slow-cooking a pork shoulder for eight hours would be a high-maintenance affair with hardwood. Our briquettes took nearly three hours to fall below the 250 degree mark; in that time we'd have to refuel the hardwood fire twice. The slow, steady descent of the briquettes is perfect for this job.

So what about our old assumptions? Hardwood is, in fact, the hotter-burning charcoal, at least when comparing charcoal pound for pound. But most outdoor cooks measure out charcoal by volume (filling a chimney), and a 6-quart chimneyful of briquettes weighs more than twice as much as the same volume of hardwood.

And briquettes are cheaper: Filling a chimney with lump charcoal costs about $2 compared with just $1.37 for briquettes. [/QUOTE]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)