Students

Osap Not granted

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2014 3:16 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 30, 2013
11 posts
Solsearchin1 wrote: Get your parents to loan you the money or take out a loan. You do what you have to do, your an adult now. Blaming a persons parents isn't the solution, nor is it right.
Parents have nearly no money, needing to pay for the 2 mortgages. So I guess a student loan then...

Unless there's a way to make OSAP think my parents have lower income or something? (Or have them consider this as a special case?)
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1816 posts
302 upvotes
Pluto
Ivanbin wrote: Parents have nearly no money, needing to pay for the 2 mortgages. So I guess a student loan then...

Unless there's a way to make OSAP think my parents have lower income or something? (Or have them consider this as a special case?)
So they make 160k+ a year yet have not a single cent left over at end of year?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
Purgatory wrote: So they make 160k+ a year yet have not a single cent left over at end of year?
Looks like they're cash poor until October.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
Can't they get a short term loan or somthing? with 2 houses and 160k income, should be a huge problem getting 10-15k loan?!
Nov 30, 2013
11 posts
Yes. They are paying for two mortgages right now, because our new house was built, but the buyers didnt want our old house till october.

And they have 800k debt
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
Ivanbin wrote: Yes. They are paying for two mortgages right now, because our new house was built, but the buyers didnt want our old house till october.

And they have 800k debt
Right now, not after the sale is closed.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5805 posts
1972 upvotes
Toronto
well get another 10k and consolidate into the 800k... not a big difference...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2005
7963 posts
1142 upvotes
Anyway, you're not getting OSAP man.
Nov 30, 2013
11 posts
What about if I live in Toronto, and claim to not be supported by parents? Or will their income still count, regardless of anything?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Just from the vague info, your parents have recently purchased a $750,000-$1,000,000 house, make $160,000 combined per year, have no savings even though it seems you immigrated recently (probably for education??) and cant come up with the $3-5k for September tuition?

Just get a $10,000 student loan from TD / RBC / CIBC and they co-sign... if they have $800,000 in outstanding credit im sure 10k wont matter.

you just pay interest not principal, on $10k it would be peanuts to cover the interest until they sell the other house..
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2006
4625 posts
1342 upvotes
^^ Go see a bank. That's what they're there for.......... I don't think OSAP is meant for situations where someone's parents make that much and have two houses (whether it's transition or not).

It sounds like you and your parents just didn't plan appropriately for the timing of when payments were due...
Nov 30, 2013
11 posts
But (theoretically speaking) is it possible to claim to be an independent student if I live in Toronto and want to pay for most stuff myself? (Yes I really wanna try and get the darn OSAP)
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3697 upvotes
Ivanbin wrote: But (theoretically speaking) is it possible to claim to be an independent student if I live in Toronto and want to pay for most stuff myself? (Yes I really wanna try and get the darn OSAP)
Better idea- grow up and talk to a bank. Committing fraud is going to land you somewhere else.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Ivanbin wrote: But (theoretically speaking) is it possible to claim to be an independent student if I live in Toronto and want to pay for most stuff myself? (Yes I really wanna try and get the darn OSAP)
No! And just to be clear here, we don't condone talk of fraud here and fraudulently trying to get OSAP. :facepalm:
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1816 posts
302 upvotes
Pluto
It is understandable you want OSAP but I think you need to sit down with your parents and with a bank. They can easily get another 10k to help you out. (seeing as how they have 800k debt already)
May 23, 2013
37 posts
23 upvotes
Toronto
As someone who works 50 hours a week at minimum wage to pay off my OSAP loans: what the hell, man? By October, your parents will be able to pay off your loans without blinking an eye. OSAP is the only reason I'm able to go to school at all, and here you are trying to trick them into giving you money from a limited education budget. Tired of people trying to abuse the system.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
followifyoulead wrote: As someone who works 50 hours a week at minimum wage to pay off my OSAP loans: what the hell, man? By October, your parents will be able to pay off your loans without blinking an eye. OSAP is the only reason I'm able to go to school at all, and here you are trying to trick them into giving you money from a limited education budget. Tired of people trying to abuse the system.
trust me I cant get osap and im 25+ with no income, busted knees cant work ... old debt from my first student life is making me ineligible ... it sucks having to penny pinch everything and find ways to pay tuition while kids with parents who have 150,000+ income get approved here and there bypassing the system. I aint really mad though, ill find my way through and leave without huge student loans.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ivanbin wrote: So in other words since my parents have an income of 160k a year and a debt of around 800k due to still owning both houses, I am screwed?
Yes.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
2028 posts
173 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Ivanbin wrote: What about if I live in Toronto, and claim to not be supported by parents? Or will their income still count, regardless of anything?
The only way you're getting out of it is if you have yourself legally emancipated.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
lolatyou1 wrote: I also hate defrauding d-bags. Majority of them are those who have parents earning money under table (avoiding taxes).. and people like OP, lying and screwing the system.

That being said, please don't judge people by their salary. you don't know others' situations..
OSAP offered me very little during first year, so little that I didn't bother borrowing anything... My parents didn't lend me anything, I worked all year, multiple jobs.

my parents shoulder a LOT of responsibilities.. OSAP won't take that into perspective, they don't care how many in household are attending university/college.. all they care about is salary which is not fair in some circumstances. i didn't even qualify for 30% off tuition and No, I don't drive a BMW or lexus. We don't live in huge houses or have latest gadgets.. Live according to means and never borrow..
Yes they do and that is taken into consideration in the formula. It's asked specifically on the app and reduces the expected parental contribution in the assessment formula....
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)