Careers

Recent university grads increasingly jobless, study finds.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2014 3:53 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Um.. Ask for a notarized transcript as a condition of being hired.. or at the very least, bring in the degree to be photocopied and put in your file.

Is it really that difficult? The employer simply has to ask.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Jan 21, 2012
362 posts
61 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Syne wrote: Um.. Ask for a notarized transcript as a condition of being hired.. or at the very least, bring in the degree to be photocopied and put in your file.

They would be more keen on asking for job reference than asking which school you went to.

Besides......... Cant you get a fake degree made in minutes @ pacific mall? :D
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3280 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
Syne wrote: Um.. Ask for a notarized transcript as a condition of being hired.. or at the very least, bring in the degree to be photocopied and put in your file.

Ive never got asked to provide such info when interviewing, it should be easy enough as checking with said institution. I think people will always inflate there own education and or experience, its all about maintaining your own personal integrity to me anyways.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Appak02 wrote: They would be more keen on asking for job reference than asking which school you went to.

They need to ask for both, and you may be able to fake a degree, but not a sealed transcript which can be ordered from any college or university. This should be done as a final step once the decision has been made, much like references. BOTH should be done by ANY employer.
olek86 wrote: Ive never got asked to provide such info when interviewing, it should be easy enough as checking with said institution. I think people will always inflate there own education and or experience, its all about maintaining your own personal integrity to me anyways.
Transcript tells all. You can't inflate it. I mean, worst case scenario either you graduated or you didn't. It's a binary concept.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
Appak02 wrote: They would be more keen on asking for job reference than asking which school you went to.

Uhh no. Employers can easily verify their applicant's education easily now. I know Uoft & York that offer degree verification online. It's quick and easy. Just need the student number and some other info which will spit out when the applicant graduated and the degree name.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
2052 posts
409 upvotes
GTA
imflying12 wrote: Uhh no. Employers can easily verify their applicant's education easily now. I know Uoft & York that offer degree verification online. It's quick and easy. Just need the student number and some other info which will spit out when the applicant graduated and the degree name.
Nvm, it seems like almost all universities provide this service now a days to employers. Waterloo offers it too!

It looks like Guelph Humber University or even Guelph doesn't hehe.
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
ShallowJam wrote: I AM doing something with it, you see, it has changed the way I am, it has changed the way I think, it has made me a more thoughtful and brighter person.
Awww... you're coming into your own and blossoming into a lovely young woman! Good for you!

You know that just growing up and learning from life produces the same results, right?

So here's the thing: Knowledge is *FREE*, save for the cost of a library card and your time. If you want to learn & study and soak up all there is to know in this world, there's nothing stopping you. There's no reason why anyone in this country can't pick up the same textbooks and learn the very material taught in universities. If the pursuit of knowledge is solely what you were after and you did NOT get a degree with the intention of getting a job, as you declared, then why spend $30k? Sure sounds like an absence of wisdom and good judgement to me. If you want to learn, then study on your own for free if you aren't looking for a monetary return on your investment. But to say you went to university simply for an education when you don't even have a job is just foolishness.

People can get knowledge on their own and study whatever they feel like (again, for FREE). But they go to university and spend an egregious amount of money for a degree because there is the expectation of a MONETARY return--an expectation of a job. Higher earning potential. Greater opportunities for promotion. They spend the money for the official piece of paper because they believe they need it to satisfy an employers job requirements. If they *just* wanted the knowledge and to study certain subjects, they would do that without shelling out the $$$$... because it would satisfy them just to be learning, and they wouldn't need the degree because they don't need to prove anything to anyone, nor seek validation from anyone.

So please, pardon me for tickling your obvious sore spot by impugning your questionable motives and lack of wisdom in paying $30k for a degree that has led to a net total $0, but has fulfilled whatever bizarre intrinsic needs you seem to have....when you could have done so for no cost at all. Either way, whatever your justification is, I'm not buying it. Really, I think you just have your panties in a bunch over spending so much time and money on useless degrees yet remain unemployed and are desperately holding onto the idea that maybe, just maybe, you weren't duped into getting an Arts degree afterall and that maybe one day it's value will present itself in the form of a J-O-B.
Jul 17, 2011
95 posts
34 upvotes
Wigglepuppy wrote: Awww... you're coming into your own and blossoming into a lovely young woman! Good for you!

You know that just growing up and learning from life produces the same results, right?

So here's the thing: Knowledge is *FREE*, save for the cost of a library card and your time. If you want to learn & study and soak up all there is to know in this world, there's nothing stopping you. There's no reason why anyone in this country can't pick up the same textbooks and learn the very material taught in universities. If the pursuit of knowledge is solely what you were after and you did NOT get a degree with the intention of getting a job, as you declared, then why spend $30k? Sure sounds like an absence of wisdom and good judgement to me. If you want to learn, then study on your own for free if you aren't looking for a monetary return on your investment. But to say you went to university simply for an education when you don't even have a job is just foolishness.

People can get knowledge on their own and study whatever they feel like (again, for FREE). But they go to university and spend an egregious amount of money for a degree because there is the expectation of a MONETARY return--an expectation of a job. Higher earning potential. Greater opportunities for promotion. They spend the money for the official piece of paper because they believe they need it to satisfy an employers job requirements. If they *just* wanted the knowledge and to study certain subjects, they would do that without shelling out the $$$$... because it would satisfy them just to be learning, and they wouldn't need the degree because they don't need to prove anything to anyone, nor seek validation from anyone.

So please, pardon me for tickling your obvious sore spot by impugning your questionable motives and lack of wisdom in paying $30k for a degree that has led to a net total $0, but has fulfilled whatever bizarre intrinsic needs you seem to have....when you could have done so for no cost at all. Either way, whatever your justification is, I'm not buying it. Really, I think you just have your panties in a bunch over spending so much time and money on useless degrees yet remain unemployed and are desperately holding onto the idea that maybe, just maybe, you weren't duped into getting an Arts degree afterall and that maybe one day it's value will present itself in the form of a J-O-B.
Again, I'm not unemployed.

You clearly have no idea what a university level education is like since you keep equating it to reading some books. You cannot get what an education gives you from a library. That is absolutely ridiculous. Part of a university education is the critical evaluation of your own thoughts and work by your peers and professors as well as your criticisms of them and the discussion therein. Again,you continue to make completely uninformed and uneducated claims about things on which you know nothing. Furthermore my masters degree allowed to me teach undergraduates as well as participate in research for the university and faculty members, try doing that at a library. I'm not at all in doubt about the value my education has to me,but its quite clear you don't think an education has value because you can't understand something you know nothing about. Unfortunately you aren't wise enough to know to not make claims about things you don't know so you end up looking like an ass on the internet, saying all sorts of uninformed and silly things.

I also find it amusing that your insult is calling me a woman. You must be a real treat at parties.
Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
ShallowJam wrote: Again, I'm not unemployed.
lol?! Errr...maybe you should re-read your numerous posts declaring you are jobless.
ESL?! If that's the case, for your reference: "jobless" has the same meaning as "unemployed".
ShallowJam wrote: I also find it amusing that your insult is calling me a woman. You must be a real treat at parties.
Oh. Well I thought for sure you were a woman, based on your explosive emotional outbursts & overreactions à la PMS.
Jul 17, 2011
95 posts
34 upvotes
Don't have a job in my field, not unemployed.

More sexist remarks, good on ya, making your family proud I hope.

Seriously though, you could do for an education. They teach you how to make arguments that are valid and tell you to not say things that have no foundation in truth. It's clear you've never formed arguments against people who can level valid criticisms against you.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes

Mar 9, 2014
457 posts
216 upvotes
ShallowJam wrote: Don't have a job in my field, not unemployed.

More sexist remarks, good on ya, making your family proud I hope.

Seriously though, you could do for an education. They teach you how to make arguments that are valid and tell you to not say things that have no foundation in truth. It's clear you've never formed arguments against people who can level valid criticisms against you.
Your "valid criticisms" are really just emotionally charged toddler type temper tantrums. So sad that someone else is calling you out for your bogus "I learned so much about myself so it was worth $30k even though I can't get a job" justification rant.

Too bad they can't teach you wisdom in university.
But hey, you keep telling yourself whatever you need to, and continue with your emotional outbursts towards any poster here who disagrees with you. Look back on all your posts in this thread-- you seriously need to calm down, exert some self-control, and apply that *enlightening educational experience* to ponder why you're so viciously offended when someone talks about your useless degree.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
ShallowJam wrote: I don't think the university from which you graduated is of much importance to employers, at least within Canada. (professional degrees aside, like law school)
i agree, general arts degree by itself is not very marketable no matter where you got it from
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2005
1400 posts
355 upvotes
It's not that a BA isn't marketable ... Its that a BA is the bare minimum expected nowadays and therefore everyone has one. BA's are just kinda an expectation that HR expects you to have if you are applying for entry level corporate jobs.

Experience on the other hand is by far the more preferred currency in addition to one's education. In many cases a lack of education will be looked over if one has practical work experience.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
Wigglepuppy wrote: So here's the thing: Knowledge is *FREE*, save for the cost of a library card and your time. If you want to learn & study and soak up all there is to know in this world, there's nothing stopping you. There's no reason why anyone in this country can't pick up the same textbooks and learn the very material taught in universities. If the pursuit of knowledge is solely what you were after and you did NOT get a degree with the intention of getting a job, as you declared, then why spend $30k?
It's hard to self-analyze and a big part of university is to debate varying perspectives - I don't think a split personalities is very healthy.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
Bamelin wrote: It's not that a BA isn't marketable ... Its that a BA is the bare minimum expected nowadays and therefore everyone has one. BA's are just kinda an expectation that HR expects you to have if you are applying for entry level corporate jobs.

Experience on the other hand is by far the more preferred currency in addition to one's education. In many cases a lack of education will be looked over if one has practical work experience.
HR gets stacks of resumes for a entry level position that doesn't really need a degree nor critical thinking skills, nor experience for that matter, they just use whatever they can to find the best candidate out of the bunch. This is purely due to the economy.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wigglepuppy wrote: +1
Degrees don't equal common sense!

I also love brand new grads complaining about not finding work, all the while scoffing at, and refusing to take "Entry level" positions.
HEL-LO?!! What do you think ENTRY LEVEL means?! If you have NO work experience in the field, that means you need to take an entry level job. Because that's what an entry level job is for. An entry level job will teach you the fundamentals of working in that specific field and give you experience you can't just magically absorb by sitting in a classroom. Instead they're waiting for a high up position earning 6 figures to start because they think they know everything now.

These grads need to get over themselves and boy, I can't wait to see the tidal wave of reality checks to come. Now all that has to happen is for their parents to kick them out of the house and stop enabling them.
Is this from graduates you have actually spoken to, or just what you believe is going on?

I would love to find an entry level posting that I could actually apply for given that the few that I've seen all required a minimum of 2 years of very specific professional experience + knowledge of various programs that you could only obtain through on the job learning. Companies love to put all sorts of PR about hiring new grads on their website and all of the exciting career streams that you could go into, but check the actual listings page and you'll see that they are almost always empty. Maybe once a year they will open up 1 or 2 entry level positions that require experienced qualifications, basically trying to get employees from other companies.

I believe a large part of the problem is that people are not taught how to do a proper job search beyond using websites and it is just assumed that it should be obvious to everyone. The most the education system ever taught me is how to write a very basic kind of resume filled with the standard buzzwords that might have been applicable 10 years ago. It also doesn't help that most of the (visible) market is filled with postings from agencies that all read like they are copied and pasted from one another, it becomes difficult to tell if they are even real postings sometimes. I know there are white collar jobs out there, just that they aren't advertised properly and are filled through word of mouth.
Deal Guru
Nov 6, 2010
10018 posts
1967 upvotes
Montreal, QC
divx wrote: i agree, general arts degree by itself is not very marketable no matter where you got it from
Well depends on the industry. Art Institute of California for example is a very renowned school and places like Pixar hire directly from their graduate pool. In Canada it doesn't really matter though...
Jul 17, 2011
95 posts
34 upvotes
Wigglepuppy wrote: Your "valid criticisms" are really just emotionally charged toddler type temper tantrums. So sad that someone else is calling you out for your bogus "I learned so much about myself so it was worth $30k even though I can't get a job" justification rant.

Too bad they can't teach you wisdom in university.
But hey, you keep telling yourself whatever you need to, and continue with your emotional outbursts towards any poster here who disagrees with you. Look back on all your posts in this thread-- you seriously need to calm down, exert some self-control, and apply that *enlightening educational experience* to ponder why you're so viciously offended when someone talks about your useless degree.
I am perfectly calm actually, and not emotionally worked up believe it or not. I'm sorry you're so upset that someone criticized your unfounded claims, but I'm not personally invested in my statements here, that is to say, I've learned that someone criticizing my ideas is not the same as someone criticizing me. This is something you could stand to learn.

I'll try to stay on topic even though you've completely degraded to personal attack: nothing you have said is based in any truth. You can not get a university education with a library card, university is more than just reading. You can get a lot of information from a library but not much knowledge. I'm not sure why you so vehemently argue that a liberal arts degree is useless, there is value in it outside of getting a job. I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand and it seems to be our main disagreement. Please let me know how I can better explain this. I don't expect you to understand the things being taught, as that's kind of the point of the degree, but it confuses me that you don't even seem to allow for the possibility of their existence. I believe this is why your argument is so shallow. You are just denying the existence of the other side of the argument, not proving it wrong. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, a university education would have taught you that this is not a valid way to counter argue.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2012
1116 posts
207 upvotes
DealSeeker3000 wrote: This right here. I'm astonished by how many of my peers told me they willingly chose not to a co-op term because they wanted to graduate sooner. /smh
I call BS.
almost every student wants coop experience. Many schools simply do not offer or have poor selection and connections. I had to resort to unpaid internship myself.. still better than nothing

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)