• Last Updated:
  • Oct 10th, 2017 9:05 am
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39339 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
Financials wrote: oh and XBOX ONE + W10 is amazing. that combo *****s all over owning a PS4.
*disclaimer, this guy works for MSFT, probably owns stock too
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I did. It does and you can toggle between power options. I'm sure it was a left click on my touch enabled laptop.
====

Anyone know how to stop Chrome browser from shrinking (and placed on the center of the desktop) whenever I swipe or drag around the left edge of my screen?
Weird....

I plugged in external kb/mouse clicked on it and nothing happened, hovering shows the batt level, right click brings shows "adjust screen brightness" "power options" and the mobility center.

The swipe left edge is for multi tasking, kind of like alt tab with swipe gesture
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
AzureD wrote: Weird....

I plugged in external kb/mouse clicked on it and nothing happened, hovering shows the batt level, right click brings shows "adjust screen brightness" "power options" and the mobility center.

The swipe left edge is for multi tasking, kind of like alt tab with swipe gesture
Let me double check tonight.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
Calling it a day for now. The setup on my Asus 64 bit Win 7 says I must reboot the computer because it couldn't install the 32 bit version for my other machine to the connected flash drive...

Rebooted and it still says it can't run the media creation tool even in admin mode! Okay...
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2012
2830 posts
700 upvotes
Ottawa
AzureD wrote: Weird....

That's weird, when I hover over the battery icon, nothing happens. If I left click it it'll show the battery level and show me Power & Sleep Settings. I get the same options like you when I right click. Left edge swipe is indeed multi tasking.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I think RFD just installed Windows 10 - we had a half hour of weird glitches there!
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
JamesA1 wrote: I think RFD just installed Windows 10 - we had a half hour of weird glitches there!
noticed that.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2012
5437 posts
4856 upvotes
Toronto
Gutty96 wrote: What are you basing that on?

I have been running Linux daily since Kubuntu 5.04 (they are on 15.04 now, new version every 6 months).

I find Linux SO much easier to get up and running, and keep running compared to Windows. For example, this new AIO PC I bought, opened it up, turned it on 4 HOURS LATER Windows 10 was ready to use, but still needs all my programs installed.

Linux - Pop in a USB key with Kubuntu on it, 20 minutes later the desktop is ready, 2 minutes to install any proprietary drivers, and 15 more minutes to have all my programs installed. Now that it is running, it takes ONE, yes ONE command (sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade) to update my entire system, including all my programs at the same time. I just have simply never experienced that with Windows. Everything with Windows must be updated by itself. How is that "not ready" for most people? Admititly, yes sometimes you just need Windows, but the biggest issue is simply, people just use Windows because it is what CAME on the PC when they bought it. Remember most people buy PCs ready to go, not build them, and don't even know something as easy as Linux exists out there.

In the years (likely 5 or more) I have had 1 time I had a driver issue so bad I had to either revert back to the older OS version, or buy another card. (I bought a $50 card, and never had the issues again)
In the past I've run arch/*buntu/debian/etc full time for many years not to mention experience with servers, and probably installed various distributions on various hardware several hundred times. I also test out stuff on VirtualBox and VMWare on a monthly basis. The state of Linux desktop is nowhere near ready for mass adoption, it all comes down to *****ty driver support. Both NVIDIA and AMD drivers suck, wi-fi drivers on many devices do not work, peripherals will either not work or lose features.

Another major issue is updates in Linux, now this all depends on the distribution but I've had systems completely break from a simple update now and again on many different distributions.

Furthermore the fragmented nature of Linux with so many window/desktop environments, lack of standards, etc creates all sorts of issues for mass adoption.

Not to mention the increased level of technical know-how required to run most distributions, but there has been an improvement in this area in the past 10 years. Now I'm not saying I'm against Linux, I love it and run it on servers and some of my computers, but it's far from ready for the mainstream desktop and may never be unless Google (or whomever) does to desktop Linux what it did with mobile & Android.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
DougO wrote: Calling it a day for now. The setup on my Asus 64 bit Win 7 says I must reboot the computer because it couldn't install the 32 bit version for my other machine to the connected flash drive...

Rebooted and it still says it can't run the media creation tool even in admin mode! Okay...
Isn't it obvious? You are trying to install/upgrade a 32 bit system over a 64 bit system.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
25986 posts
10378 upvotes
LEXX911 wrote: Isn't it obvious? You are trying to install/upgrade a 32 bit system over a 64 bit system.
No, I am trying to use a USB key to create a bootable USB drive version of the 32 bit version of Pro for my other machine. It's in the install when you first run it. It asks if you want to create a USB version for another machine. Then it asks you to specify which version. Then it detects the flash drive and wipes it. At that point, it crashed on my Win 7 64 bit. Now the installer wont even run. Everything else on that machine working fine though...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I read on a blog the activation is done over at Microsoft servers, somehow obtaining hardware information and storing it for future activation.
yes, the gloves are finally off. MS had this capability way back. Now that they're openly saying they can unique ID your computer based on hardware from a pool of 100+ millions PCs out there with windows, you can now install windows without ever entering a key, provided your hardware doesn't change.

Testing a clean install after upgrading, no key is ever entered and windows becomes active after windows is installed.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
122 upvotes
My new Windows 10 Mail App isn't working... when trying to sync my account (Rogers/Yahoo and GMail, ftr) it says "Still working on it".

It's been a whole day now. Won't sync.

Also, any ideas on when this "amazing" Cortana feature will be made available in Canada? I've never used Cortana before but I hear it's all that and a bag of chips.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
Redguard wrote:
Also, any ideas on when this "amazing" Cortana feature will be made available in Canada? I've never used Cortana before but I hear it's all that and a bag of chips.
It data mines you....
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2007
1743 posts
122 upvotes
george__ wrote: It data mines you....
Now that you mention it, the rep at the Microsoft Store said something similar when they were doing my installation for me yesterday.

He said that Cortana memorizes everything that you do in order to help make you're "experience" as personal as possible. Guess it is sorta like Big Brother.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2008
1787 posts
275 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: Let me double check tonight.
Kwonie wrote: That's weird, when I hover over the battery icon, nothing happens. If I left click it it'll show the battery level and show me Power & Sleep Settings. I get the same options like you when I right click. Left edge swipe is indeed multi tasking.
Gets weirder now, the menu shows up only when I have the tablet plugged in, when I unplugged the battery menu wont show up again
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58648 posts
24637 upvotes
I'm moving to OSX once Apples gives both s/w and h/w for free.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
Redguard wrote: Now that you mention it, the rep at the Microsoft Store said something similar when they were doing my installation for me yesterday.

He said that Cortana memorizes everything that you do in order to help make you're "experience" as personal as possible. Guess it is sorta like Big Brother.
yeah it does, but some features are nice. I mean the whole point is it provides stuff you would be interested in, sports team updates, news preferences, where you travel and eat, shopping deals. its all toggleable though.

to get it working you just set region / language to US not Canada and it should start up.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
DougO wrote: No, I am trying to use a USB key to create a bootable USB drive version of the 32 bit version of Pro for my other machine. It's in the install when you first run it.I don't even know what you mean by this. It asks if you want to create a USB version for another machine. Then it asks you to specify which version. Then it detects the flash drive and wipes it. At that point, it crashed on my Win 7 64 bit. Now the installer wont even run. Everything else on that machine working fine though...
I'm banging my head here trying to decipher your posts since it's a little confusing. First you are saying you are trying to install a 32bit OS on your Win 7 64. Now you are just saying you trying to create(NOT INSTALL) a bootable Windows 10 32bit onto your USB flash drive using your Windows 7 64bit. If you are using Windows 7 64 bit you need to re-download the 64bit Tool version and try again. Or else run the MediaCreationToolx64.exe and select Create Installation media for another PC>choose your Windows version>choose ISO FILE(instead of USB flash Drive) and it will create a ISO for you on your computer(should be in C drive). After that use Windows USB/DVD Download Tool to make a bootable USB for your Windows 10.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
WARNING! If you been using a Local Account and need install Apps and stuff and log into your Microsoft Account. But if you want to log back into your LOCAL ACCOUNT again it will ask you to create a PASSWORD. Whatever you do make sure your PASSWORD matches because it will not give you an ERROR if your first PASSWORD does not matches your RE-ENTER password. So use the PEEK to see your PASSWORD matches after you re-enter it. I learn this the hard way on my first install and have to do a PASSWORD RESET. If you uses different PASSWORD for LOCAL ACCOUNT and your MICROSOFT ACCOUNT. Make sure that you remember you Microsoft Account Password because that will now be your login if you set your computer with a password protection.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)