• Sep 25th, 2014 9:01 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1128 posts
206 upvotes

CUBA or Mexico or Panamas or Dominican R

couple of friends are looking to go on an all inclusive trip (leaving from Montreal) to somewhere warm during christmas/new years....
only issue is that they are travelling with toddlers....(hence only direct flight from and to montreal)

any suggestions? deals? (eg...when to book)
21 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Been to Mexico and just came back from Panama. Panama doesn't have many north American tourists, so be prepared for staff to not speak English or very poor English at best. Unlike Mexico, you will mostly see people from Columbia and the surrounding area. My parents been to Cuba and Dominican, I haven't myself, but my dad really liked Cuba but food wasn't that good they said. They also said to book 5 star in cuba to get a good hotel, as their star system is like "Star - 2". They are on their third trip to Dominican (just bought their tickets today actually) and they like it as well, but from what I gather their favourite to date has been Mexico. I like Mexico myself as well but the fact that it's a direct flight from Calgary makes it much preferred, but since you are out east you got many options.

As for when to book, like yesterday haha, seriously, if you plan on going around Christmas, your options now are getting more and more limited and if its anything like from Calgary (which connects many flights to Dominican through Montreal) then the flight times suck big time and prices are getting pretty ridiculous.
Jul 23, 2009
911 posts
434 upvotes
Ireland
Dominican Republic or Mexico will probably be your best bet. Been to Panama and the resorts there are a lot more expensive due to distance and it is less of a tourist country for sure. Cuba is cheapest but the quality of the hotels are not as good as in Mexico or DR for the same stars and the food they serve up at the AYCE buffets are pretty bad too I heard.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
You need to look at the weather patterns around this time of the year if you want to lay on the beach, in Cuba especially Havana you may get 18 degrees or so, but in DR you are almost guaranteed to have 25. Mexico depends where.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1128 posts
206 upvotes
thanks for the responses... couple of friends have book 1-2 weeks before Christmas ... and that wasn't really more expensive.... should I wait?
Apr 26, 2004
546 posts
71 upvotes
Cambridge
magic18 wrote: thanks for the responses... couple of friends have book 1-2 weeks before Christmas ... and that wasn't really more expensive.... should I wait?
Christmas is peak time. It's hard to say what prices will be like compared to now. What I would be most concerned about is the resorts being booked full and therefore having limited choice as to where I could stay.
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1128 posts
206 upvotes
we are leaning towards DR.... Punta Cana has most flights (daily)... there are also other cities with nonstop flights.... (where is the best/safest spot?)
quick expedia search showed tons of resorts in punta cana though.... hard to pick from
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
I went to Paradisus Varadero in Cuba 2 years ago, and actually enjoyed it more than the 5 stars resort in Mexico I went to last year. (Gran Bahia Principe Luxury Sian Kaan) Just look for reviews on tripadvisors before you go, Cuba does have some good resorts, and their beach is the best.

Im leaving for DR in less than 2 weeks! Another Gran Bahia Principe.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Madevilz wrote: Im leaving for DR in less than 2 weeks! Another Gran Bahia Principe.
Which resort are you going to this time? My parents been to Samana, Punta Cana and are going to La Romana this time around. Samana they said was very small and filthy water with a bunch of garbage, Punta Cana was a very crowded resort they said, as it's huge, and they are trying La Romana this time around, all Gran Bahia Principe.

I don't know if you have been to the other Gran Bahia's in Mexico but the last time I went I stated at Sian Kaan as well and to tell you the truth, I much prefer Akumal or Talum even though it isn't their Luxury brand, so if you go there again may want to stay there, close to the ocean vs. in the middle of nowhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7467 posts
4051 upvotes
Montreal
eblend wrote: Which resort are you going to this time? My parents been to Samana, Punta Cana and are going to La Romana this time around. Samana they said was very small and filthy water with a bunch of garbage, Punta Cana was a very crowded resort they said, as it's huge, and they are trying La Romana this time around, all Gran Bahia Principe.

I don't know if you have been to the other Gran Bahia's in Mexico but the last time I went I stated at Sian Kaan as well and to tell you the truth, I much prefer Akumal or Talum even though it isn't their Luxury brand, so if you go there again may want to stay there, close to the ocean vs. in the middle of nowhere.
We are going to GBP El Portillo, it's in Samana, but far from the city, and supposedly has an amazing beach.

Yeah Sian Kaan wasn't my cup of tea, if I return, Id rather go to one of the three other GBP. Almost booked at Coba, but went with DR instead.
The buffet and restaurants of Sian Kaan were amazing though!
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
eblend wrote: Samana they said was very small and filthy water with a bunch of garbage, Punta Cana was a very crowded resort they said, as it's huge, and they are trying La Romana this time around, all Gran Bahia Principe.

do they actually enjoy the vacation anywhere ;-) ?

Been to both Punta Cana and Samana, loved both places but much preferred Samana because it's more quiet and still underdeveloped. Loved just walking around the area and exploring, super friendly people and beautiful area ;-)

ImageUntitled by Homerhomer50, on Flickr
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Homerhomer wrote: do they actually enjoy the vacation anywhere ;-) ?

Been to both Punta Cana and Samana, loved both places but much preferred Samana because it's more quiet and still underdeveloped. Loved just walking around the area and exploring, super friendly people and beautiful area ;-)

ImageUntitled by Homerhomer50, on Flickr
I think it's one of those things where Dominican was their first real "third world" experience. They complained about Somana Gran Bahia because the ocean is I guess in an inlet of some kind, so it brought all the garbage in. Never been there so I don't know. I am thinking of going to Levantado when I do go. My mom said that after the fact when she thinks about it she liked it, but I guess they were just disappointed when the first went, and in Punta Cana Gran Bahia they just said it's crazy busy and a ton of people, so they didn't like that.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
Madevilz wrote: We are going to GBP El Portillo, it's in Samana, but far from the city, and supposedly has an amazing beach.

Yeah Sian Kaan wasn't my cup of tea, if I return, Id rather go to one of the three other GBP. Almost booked at Coba, but went with DR instead.
The buffet and restaurants of Sian Kaan were amazing though!
Sian Kaan buffet was very good indeed, so much seafood! That's one of the main reasons I stayed at Sian Kaan, mainly because you get access to the whole resort through there, vs staying in Coba/Talum/Akumal, where you get access everywhere except for Sian Kaan. Going back I think we will be staying in Talum as it's more central and right on the ocean.
Feb 28, 2009
921 posts
541 upvotes
Ottawa
How is GBP coba? I'm getting a good price for feb $1300 all in from ottawa. Is it good for bring 13 month toddler?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
WGretzky wrote: How is GBP coba? I'm getting a good price for feb $1300 all in from ottawa. Is it good for bring 13 month toddler?
We were there in May. It's awesome. There is a huge waterpark for little ones and lots of kid activities. 2 other pools as well as 2 jacuzzi pools. Food was good too. You need to take the train to the beach but it's good too. Lots of chairs. Just not impressed with the dolphin pool/show as I just think ethically it's wrong. Everything happens in Coba lobby/section at night. There would be train after train arrive from other sections full every night. But that didn't make it noisy or anything in our room. For those not aware, Akumal section is being converted to a luxury GB starting Nov 1. Tulum section has a very zen vibe.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
1128 posts
206 upvotes
Christmas/new years period is insanely expansive... anyone got last minute deals from previous years?
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2005
2087 posts
1134 upvotes
Alberta
CSK'sMom wrote: Akumal section is being converted to a luxury GB starting Nov 1.
Sweetness, didn't know! Will book there next time I go.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
I've been to GBP Tulum 3 times. this resort needs some renovations. last year there were time share people at the resort which I did not like.. they sold some units to time share people
Coba section is the newest and the buffet is air conditioned. although not on the beach I would recommend Coba
overall it's a great resort and a great location close to Tulum and Akumal (I mean the villages and not the GBP sections)
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1810 upvotes
you can try Eurostars Santa Maria in Cuba. it was opened last year
the food was not bad, the beach beautiful and the entertainment was great. the problem was with small flies and the distance from anything else. I went there last Nov
IBEROSTAR Ensenachos looked also good. I rented a scooter and went there for a visit
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2005
5218 posts
1240 upvotes
Burlington
I have always enjoyed Mexico as the resorts I've been to have been lush and the food top notch. I recommend Mazatlan.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)