Automotive

Whats the benefit of "front wheel drive" platform for the new BMWs?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 5th, 2014 7:36 pm
Tags:
None
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Number 1 reason. Cheaper to manufacture.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
113 upvotes
Kitchener
kay188 wrote: Number 1 reason. Cheaper to manufacture.
That is the only reason.
Deal Guru
Sep 8, 2007
10978 posts
14474 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Cheaper to make + same price to clueless badge seekers = more profit.

RWD BMW's have some darn good driving dynamics that completely flies over the head of many owners that are more concerned about status, Bluetooth and cupholders.
Sep 11, 2014
640 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Buyers don't care what wheel is driven. What is important is the brand. And those who do care, are in the minority which the brand do not care.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
3517 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
cost wise i've read that it's cheaper to manufacturer.

Read an article the other day mentioning that an Audi director is joining BMW to lead their M division. Interesting to see what happens.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
Primarily two reasons, its definitely true that FWD vehicles are less expensive to manufacture relative to RWD and AWD. The main thing is down to how much quicker it is to assemble FWD cars. The entire front sub assembly which includes engine, transmission, differential, etc. can be pre-assembled prior to reaching the body on the line. Contrast to RWD and AWD, short of body on frame vehicles many components have to be assembled at the line which means more workers and more steps to assemble which results in slower build time and higher costs. The second thing is BMW already has a FWD platform in the form of the Mini...currently that platform is not being fully utilized and now BMW will attempt to increase profits in this manner after finding that many 1-series owners had no clue they had a RWD car. Had BMW not actually bought Mini and developed a FWD platform for that brand, they might've not actually done this since it would've cost them extra to build a FWD platform while they had several RWD platforms they could use immediately. This is primarily why its highly unlikely automakers would switch back to RWD platforms from FWD. The cost difference in assembly back in the 70s and 80s was great enough to cause the switch, the cost difference with modern manufacturing has decreased the gap but unless buyers really want RWD we're unlikely to see change here. The only company that has a bit of a dilemma here is Mazda where its engineers want to further pursue the zoom zoom ideology in fun to drive cars which would mean a RWD lineup versus the executives who are finally seeing financial success with the FWD platforms.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
Packaging benefits and better interior space is also a reason. Finally, it no longer makes AWD obligatory in northern climates.

BMW, as a whole no longer cares about driving dynamics. MB and BMW are engaged in a race to the bottom in order to maximize their profits. In ten years I expect them to be where cadillac and Acura are now. Good riddance. At least Caddy and Lexus are still committed to RWD.
Penalty Box
Aug 16, 2014
1043 posts
362 upvotes
Toronto, ON
as long as it comes in white and base model trim, you will see it all over markham richmond hill
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2031 posts
575 upvotes
m4r 1k8
in snow there is less chance for you to get stuck in a FWD vs RWD because the weight of the engine pushes down on the tires as opposed to RWD where you have to fill it up with sand bags and other heavy items as is the problem with most RWD in Canadian seaosons (like 6 months of winter?)
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
None to the buyer... Manufacturer saves $$$ because it'll be cheaper to manufacturer.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2007
1258 posts
287 upvotes
Ontario
dc200 wrote: Image
ROFL! Is this a real BMW ad or something made up?
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
113 upvotes
Kitchener
mr_raider wrote: Packaging benefits and better interior space is also a reason. Finally, it no longer makes AWD obligatory in northern climates.

BMW, as a whole no longer cares about driving dynamics. MB and BMW are engaged in a race to the bottom in order to maximize their profits. In ten years I expect them to be where cadillac and Acura are now. Good riddance. At least Caddy and Lexus are still committed to RWD.
I disagree. Both BMW and Mercedes make incredible cars mostly with RWD and rear biased all wheel drive. Because that's what works best. What they are doing is building entry level FWD cars to introduce people to the brand then have them move up to a proper car.
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Because the average person driving in the city or carting the kids to school (like the yummy mummies in their 3 series) could care less about driving dynamics.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4475 posts
811 upvotes
Not all AWD are the same though, only Subaru is a true AWD, the rest are usually a mix of either FWD+AWD or RWD+AWD.
Usually those expensive brands go with a mix of RWD+AWD which means the car will either start at AWD and switch to RWD when AWD isn't needed or switch back to AWD when road conditions require it. So in a sense it will still use RWD most of the time (default).
I've had an Infiniti like that before and didn't like it.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
flafson wrote: Not all AWD are the same though, only Subaru is a true AWD, the rest are usually a mix of either FWD+AWD or RWD+AWD.
Usually those expensive brands go with a mix of RWD+AWD which means the car will either start at AWD and switch to RWD when AWD isn't needed or switch back to AWD when road conditions require it. So in a sense it will still use RWD most of the time (default).
I've had an Infiniti like that before and didn't like it.
Subaru is not the only true AWD, you're leaving out Audi's Quattro system and several others. Even within Subaru there are several types of AWD systems, if you're thinking of a AWD system that puts a permanent 50:50 ratio from front to back then it'll only be found on Subaru models with a manual transmission. If you got the automatic Subaru(I believe the CVT should be similar) that's a full time AWD system that's often 90:10 when not needed but can be skewed towards 50:50 when situations demand it. WRX STi allows for the driver to control its AWD system to a degree of 35:65. I believe the 6-cylinder Subarus also exhibit a different AWD system. If both drive wheels are being driven by the AWD system at all times, its a full time unit not a part time one, hence why even though BMW's X-drive is very biased towards RWD its still a full time unit since the front wheels are still being used as drive wheels even if its very little of the engine's power getting there. One can make the claim Subaru only makes full time AWD systems but they make several types and can't be generalized as such, but they're not the only ones who do as there are many others that are full time units.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2007
5962 posts
1066 upvotes
Calgary
Because most BMW drivers think they are driving FWD anyway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5272 upvotes
Toronto
nalababe wrote: Because the average person driving in the city or carting the kids to school (like the yummy mummies in their 3 series) could care less about driving dynamics.
I seen too many mummies and daddies stuck in the snow in their BMW, MB, Infinity, Lexus, caddy and even RWD dodge. Good that there will be less coming winter.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)