• Jul 15th, 2015 1:36 am
Tags:
None
Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes

Teksavvy - Home Phone?

I'm with Bell currently ughhhhh and have Teksavvy Internet.

So Teksavvy offers a Voip call service called TekTalk and also a traditional home phone service?

The traditional home phone service is $25 a month + $3 for call display. How is their traditional home phone quality? Will it be the same as Bell? Are they using Bell lines?

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/phon ... home-phone
http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/phone/tektalk
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I have the traditional service with them for 5 years now, it is no difference than Bell, Rogers and Primus. Excellent!
ar2020 wrote: I'm with Bell currently ughhhhh and have Teksavvy Internet.

So Teksavvy offers a Voip call service called TekTalk and also a traditional home phone service?

The traditional home phone service is $25 a month + $3 for call display. How is their traditional home phone quality? Will it be the same as Bell? Are they using Bell lines?

Banned
Jan 27, 2014
5574 posts
2580 upvotes
Menace wrote: I have the traditional service with them for 5 years now, it is no difference than Bell, Rogers and Primus. Excellent!
Do they give any discount for having 2 services with them (internet + home phone)?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
ar2020 wrote: I'm with Bell currently ughhhhh and have Teksavvy Internet. The traditional home phone service is $25 a month + $3 for call display. How is their traditional home phone quality? Will it be the same as Bell? Are they using Bell lines?
Just as with your Internet, TekSavvy's POTS is provisioned by Bhell.

Problem is that Bhell has put pressure on TekSavvy to not sell their cheaper POTS offering to Bhell's existing POTS customers. If you ask nicely, however, TekSavvy may be able to make an exception. Try on DSLRreports' TekSavvy Direct forum.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Anyone know if this works with a home security system?

I think I checked when they first started offering TekTalk and they said not at the time but was something they were going to work on implementing.

I need to find an alternative, I'm paying Rogers $51 a month (after tax) for basic home phone and caller ID, what a ripoff. No other choice I'm aware of since I need a land line for the security system and our entire area was built without any phone lines, only co-ax apparently due to an exclusivity agreement between the developer and Rogers.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Banned
Aug 25, 2013
745 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto
Tasksavvy is VOIP, not the landline, if you want to use the alarm system, it doesn't work, thx
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
thebellguy wrote: Tasksavvy is VOIP, not the landline
Teksavvy VoIP is VoIP.

Teksavvy POTS (not easy to obtain anymore) is POTS. Alarm systems work perfectly fine with it.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Right but TekTalk is VoIP so nope. Thanks.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29711 posts
29133 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Winkle wrote: Anyone know if this works with a home security system?... I need a land line for the security system and our entire area was built without any phone lines, only co-ax apparently due to an exclusivity agreement between the developer and Rogers.
I thought alarm systems now offer cell phone calling as an option. This would not only address your issue with Robbers but also work if a potential break-in artist cut your coax. With cell phone service you could get a SpeakOut SIM ($10) and pay as little as $25/year for an account.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
There are several ways to get alarm monitoring with VoIP, regardless.

Wireless monitoring with some alarm companies is an option that works/GSM units
Another is VOIP Alarm Broadband Adapter

Got a cellphone? http://www.eyezon.com/?page_id=176
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
9135 posts
7097 upvotes
West GTEH!
ar2020 wrote: I'm with Bell currently ughhhhh and have Teksavvy Internet.

Teksavvy Landline uses bHELL line Network.

Menace wrote: I have the traditional service with them for 5 years now, it is no difference than Bell, Rogers and Primus. Excellent!
+1. switched to Teksavvy Landline service in 2008. call quality is the same as if you had Bell. Just paying cheaper rate. :D $28/month + tax. And this includes call display.
😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 3, 2002
9417 posts
3328 upvotes
Webhead wrote: call quality is the same as if you had Bell
Call quality is the same with VoIP (freephoneline.ca, voip.ms, anveo, etc.) too, provided you get low pings and, especially, low jitter to the SIP servers that you're using. G.711u codec is G.711u is G.711u is normal telephone sound quality (and, actually, VoIP can sound better than POTS)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
No
ar2020 wrote: Do they give any discount for having 2 services with them (internet + home phone)?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Bell landline customer Can't switch over to Teksavvy anymore
must be DAMN BHELL putting this restriction / cutting competition

[QUOTE]Due to certain limitations associated with the Bell service platform, TekSavvy has had to impose stop sells in certain situations. Should you be affected by these limitations we encourage you to consider our digital phone product TekTalk[/QUOTE]
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
ar2020 wrote: Do they give any discount for having 2 services with them (internet + home phone)?
No
but even with no discount, it still cheaper than Bhell
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
11320 posts
3870 upvotes
Nowhere
Keigotw wrote: Bell landline customer Can't switch over to Teksavvy anymore
must be DAMN BHELL putting this restriction / cutting competition
It is not strictly Bell landline customers, it is certain geographic areas that are blocked regardless of who currently provides your service. Either way, it is wrong. I desperately want to get rid of Bell but I do alot of conference calls from home and need a landline.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
I love bell land line very much.
When the power goes out it's the only "land line" that still works.

If saying bye to bell is the plan, please everyone, remember to invest in a Power booster for your cell phone. ( http://www.amazon.com/Portable-Battery- ... 0x70967-20 )
That way, if your laptop powers down (or your phone is plugged into a desktop) you still have something to talk on.

***Note: The provided link is random for example purposes. I do not work for a booser company. Feel free to purchase any brand of booser anywhere, respectfully.
Jul 14, 2015
4 posts
[QUOTE] I need to find an alternative, I'm paying Rogers $51 a month (after tax) for basic home phone and caller ID, what a ripoff. No other choice I'm aware of since I need a land line for the security system and our entire area was built without any phone lines, only co-ax apparently due to an exclusivity agreement between the developer and Rogers.[/QUOTE]

+1

I got a SPA122 and voip.ms but still no success with Protectron.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)