Shopping Discussion

Ebay Global shipping progam - How to stop it?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 11th, 2015 6:32 pm
Banned
Jan 16, 2015
869 posts
87 upvotes
Toronto, ON

Ebay Global shipping progam - How to stop it?

Ebay.ca is ruined now. You select lowest + shipping and it all messed up, it doesn't include 'import fees.' What happened to Nafta? Ebay is too sneaky, they are making more on import fees than the actually item cost. But they have shot themselves in the foot. Have you stopping buying from ebay.ca?
23 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1450 posts
210 upvotes
No, I use a forwarding service in the USA and just ship to them as I don't like that program either. I have the address of the forwarding company verified in my Paypal so it all works great. The forwarding company also bundles orders together to make shipping cheaper
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
Just for clarification:

- ebay contracts the GSP out to a 3rd. party logistics company and they are the ones who set the rates and make some money from it

- ebay's interest is in getting sellers who wouldn't otherwise offer international shipping a simple way to do it (thus ebay gets more revenue from increased sales - in theory)

- it's not just U.S. to Canada, it's worlwide

- NAFTA isn't the point, you get charged duty (if applicable), tax and a brokerage fee based roughly on the value of your purchase and where it was made

- if the purchase is under $20Cdn. the Import Fee is zero

- if it's an auction or Best Offer, the Import Fee can only be an estimate based on current highest offer

- the cost is typically higher than you would want, but can work to your benefit if it's a pricier and/or heavier item (shipping and import fees get averaged out for a group of buyers)

- some seasoned sellers who are used to selling internationally continue to use USPS and ignore GSP

- newer sellers and those that used to do domestic shipping only are mostly the ones now using GSP

- plenty of discussion in ebay forums on GSP so the pros and cons are familiar to high volume sellers

- some lower volume sellers don't understand how it works and how to opt out of it for specific listings

- if only GSP is offered for what you want to buy, and you don't like the pricing, do what putty says above, but you still will not avoid paying tax and a handling fee
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2173 posts
626 upvotes
Toronto
Ask the seller to remove it because it just comes up automatically for them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
cardle wrote: Ask the seller to remove it because it just comes up automatically for them.
It's not that easy on a transaction or listing basis. Sellers are either opted into GSP or they are not (newly registered sellers are IN by default as I mentioned earlier).

When a seller is in GSP, each listing automatically accounts for what it costs for them to send the item to Pitney-Bowes's central depot in the U.S. in the event the winning buyer is foreign.

The seller has to be really on top of their game to stall the GSP at the right point to be able to send the Canadian buyer a custom invoice for plain old USP shipping.
And this earlier thread on the topic implies that it still might not be possible to derail GSP once an auction has been won (see zod's post) : ebay-global-shipping-program-you-victim-1448357/
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4624 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
It should be noted that the system is not perfect.
The GSP calculated fees may not be accurate... I'm not sure if it's based on the listing specifics, or do they come up with it themselves...
Mar 23, 2012
277 posts
89 upvotes
WINNIPEG
Ebay has long since stopped being my first goto place to buy something online. It is now my last.

Also wanted to add that being an Ebay seller myself, it was more than just coincidence how all my international sales suddenly just stopped around the time Ebay rolled out the GSP (being Canadian and not in the program). I guess blocking international sales for anyone not enrolled is the best way to promote the program in their eyes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
7022 posts
2907 upvotes
Victoria, BC
chadurban wrote: .... more than just coincidence how all my international sales suddenly just stopped around the time Ebay rolled out the GSP (being Canadian and not in the program).......
Not sure why your intnl. sales would dry up. Mine didn't

GSP is just for U.S. and U.K. sellers, not Canadian sellers, as you say.
But a European or U.S. prospective buyer should still find your shipping costs as acceptable as they always were, even with Canada Post increases in 2014.
Especially if you are competing with an American seller who is in the GSP program with similar shipping cost to yours but with added import charge.
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
the main problem is that canada is still in the 50's when it comes to their $20 limit on imports, and while it certainly makes them illicit coin (the main purpose of remaining 75 years behind the times), other countries are far more progressive. I guess $20 in 1950 could buy a lot, but obviously not anymore.

for example, the usa lets any personal import package under $200 usd come in tax and duty free. yes, $200.
Jan 17, 2015
8 posts
Toronto, ON
I don't like this GSP either and prefer to use forwarding company in the USA. It's MUCH cheapper and more convenient for me.
Dec 24, 2013
668 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
putty wrote: No, I use a forwarding service in the USA and just ship to them as I don't like that program either. I have the address of the forwarding company verified in my Paypal so it all works great. The forwarding company also bundles orders together to make shipping cheaper
Which shipping company do you use?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1450 posts
210 upvotes
jblast wrote: Which shipping company do you use?
I use boxhop.com. I have had them combine several orders and send them to me. They used DHL both times so I believe they must be their partner to ship to many countries. No issues, everything went smoothly both times. I have no idea if they are the best or cheapest as they are the first one I have used, they are the same company as Borderfree.com.

If you want a referral link to get a free Platinum membership and a free $15 shipping credit for Boxhop send me a PM.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
putty wrote: I use boxhop.com. I have had them combine several orders and send them to me. They used DHL both times so I believe they must be their partner to ship to many countries. No issues, everything went smoothly both times. I have no idea if they are the best or cheapest as they are the first one I have used, they are the same company as Borderfree.com.

If you want a referral link to get a free Platinum membership and a free $15 shipping credit for Boxhop send me a PM.
Can I ask few questions? I went to their website but didn't see the answers or am not sure

1) do they charge you duties on all packages over $20, if so how significant is the benefit if using them?
2) do you have issues using ebay, I buy and sell on ebay occasionally, would I need to have to have separate accounts
3) any issues with credit card payments, many places require to have the credit card address matching the shipping address.
4) any other issues or benefits to look out for?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1450 posts
210 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote: Can I ask few questions? I went to their website but didn't see the answers or am not sure

1) do they charge you duties on all packages over $20, if so how significant is the benefit if using them?
2) do you have issues using ebay, I buy and sell on ebay occasionally, would I need to have to have separate accounts
3) any issues with credit card payments, many places require to have the credit card address matching the shipping address.
4) any other issues or benefits to look out for?

Thanks
1. Boxhop does not charge or assess you duties, duties are paid (if there are any) when you get/pickup the package from the courier. I assume the importer (DHL) assesses the duties or possibly CRA? I don't know exactly what happens.

2. I use Boxhop for buying on ebay and the Boxhop address I have is verified on my Paypal so I have only used this shipping method for things I buy off of ebay and pay for using paypal

3. I have never used this service with items bought by credit card. I understand that some credit cards will allow you to have an alternate address possibly AMEX but I have never investigated this by calling AMEX to find out.

4. Just the duties, since Boxhop never assesses your items for duty you won't know what you have to pay unless you investigate yourself beforehand.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
3086 posts
1101 upvotes
Toronto
Global shipping basically makes me look for another item. If I'm ever buying from USA I always make sure to find USPS 1st class or international only.
Feb 15, 2015
4 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
putty wrote: No, I use a forwarding service in the USA and just ship to them as I don't like that program either. I have the address of the forwarding company verified in my Paypal so it all works great. The forwarding company also bundles orders together to make shipping cheaper
What is the name because i would really like this.i am constantly paying uowards of 10 dollars for import fees everytime i need a new part for my arduino.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
putty wrote: 1. Boxhop does not charge or assess you duties, duties are paid (if there are any) when you get/pickup the package from the courier. I assume the importer (DHL) assesses the duties or possibly CRA? I don't know exactly what happens.

Thanks Putty, appreciate the answer.
When I buy something and they use US postal I have never been charged duties or sales tax regardless if the item was $20 or $300, so obviously I prefer this method, if the shipper charges all that on delivery than having company like boxhop kind or defeats the purpose, as the savings will be minimal.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
ashihtaka wrote: Global shipping basically makes me look for another item. If I'm ever buying from USA I always make sure to find USPS 1st class or international only.
same here, I made an exeption few times but it was on very inexpensive items, apart from that global shipping means I am not buying from them, it kills the deal for me.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2003
1450 posts
210 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote: Thanks Putty, appreciate the answer.
When I buy something and they use US postal I have never been charged duties or sales tax regardless if the item was $20 or $300, so obviously I prefer this method, if the shipper charges all that on delivery than having company like boxhop kind or defeats the purpose, as the savings will be minimal.
If the seller ships to Canada and the rates are reasonable I will buy the item and have them ship via USPS, FedEx, USPs. If the items I am buying on ebay are from sellers who don't ship to Canada or their rates are ridiculous such as in the ebay global shipping program then I will use the mail forwarding service.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Is anyone aware of the mail forwarding company that would use USPS since with them you usually don't end up paying any fees at the door?
Thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)