Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa

Homeworld Remastered

Anyone who has never played Homeworld and has a PC should buy this right now because it is likely in the top 5 PC games of all time.

I am still kicking myself for not getting the collectors with the ship statue.

Its been a great year for remakes though. Two of my favorite PC games (Grim Fandango and Homeworld) remade and released within a month of each other.
24 replies
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I did not look into the MP options but I believe there will be or there is coop, comp stomp.
Add me on Steam if you want to play MP sometimes.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5934 upvotes
Yeah I was busy when it was announced and missed the CE, kind of sad about that.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
Have never played this game, watched a video, still confused.

Might not be for me.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
squadz wrote: Have never played this game, watched a video, still confused.

Might not be for me.
Not sure why you are confused about it but you should really give it a shot if you enjoy RTS games.
Aug 20, 2009
9825 posts
5934 upvotes
squadz wrote: Have never played this game, watched a video, still confused.

Might not be for me.
It's a 3 dimensional RTS set in space, it takes awhile to adjust to thinking with the Z axis in an RTS but once you do it opens up a lot of possibilities. The games have excellent singleplayer campaigns, great music and a lot of cool little touches like your units carrying over between missions so you have to be careful with losses and etc.

Great games.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Worth re trying missions in case losses are too big, because of the units carry over.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Great controls for 3D movement, maneuvering in 3D was easy but essential for successful combat since all capital ships had differing amounts of armor on each side of the ship (most armor up front, less on the sides, top or bottom and least in the rear) so it takes it to a whole new strategic level because you have an extra dimension to try to outflank your opponents in.

Also, my favourite aspect of the games were the chase and first-person views for every ship including fighters and bombers, watching a squadron of bombers diving through a picket of frigates to do a bombing run on a destroyer in first person was always thrilling. The introduction of flak frigates in HW2 added to that immensely as they could throw up clouds of flak and saturate an area with it, which also obstructed your view and added to the chaos of battle.

Plus, beam weapons! HW2 I think perfected RTS cap-ship space combat. The battles can be epic and insanely intense, hopefully they give you the option to remove some of the unit cap limits so you can engage in larger fleet battles.
SpectralMeat wrote: Worth re trying missions in case losses are too big, because of the units carry over.
Agreed, this was another good feature but I wish they gave more incentive such as having more special or extra abilities from experience earned over the levels and also the ability to name the cap ships as it gives you a more personal connection to it.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
Game looks amazing and so far plays mostly like I remember. Only played the first few missions so far though.

One thing that seems different now is I thought when you put units in formations they would stay in those formations when attacking, but it seems like the second they start attacking they go spread out and do their own thing.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7311 posts
1672 upvotes
Toronto
The original homeworld was quite a masterpiece, I wish they made a sequel rather than taking the easy route and remake the original.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Loving the game so far. Only did the tutorials and about 5 missions last night. Had to redo some missions as I was getting my a$$ handed to me.
The grouping and formations giving me some problems ones the battle starts, but I am sure I will get used to it ones I spend a bit more time with the game.
They did an awesome job at remastering this game
I agree with you toalan I do wish they'd be making Homeworld 3, and I'd like to think based on how popular the remastered edition will be they are going to consider making a Homeworld 3.
Most of the fans are crying out for it, and Gearbox knows that.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
Also played last night.

Went pretty well. The last mission I was on I will have to redo as I spent too much time trying to capture frigates and lost all my salvage corvettes rather than focusing on destroying their fleet.

[possible spoilers]
I managed to capture all of the ion cannon frigates that pop out and attack your mothership in the one mission. I will also be attempting to capture the Destroyer in the mission I have to redo and stop worrying about tiny frigates.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I am on the mission after that one. Right off the bat it's a ton of pain in the back.
I might go back and try to capture the destroyer not sure why I didn't think of that before!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
SpectralMeat wrote: I am on the mission after that one. Right off the bat it's a ton of pain in the back.
I might go back and try to capture the destroyer not sure why I didn't think of that before!
I was totally pissed when he popped in to view and I had already lost 4 salvage corvettes trying to capture lesser vessels :P
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Yeah I've failed that mission the first time because I ignored the enemy resource collector. The second time around I went after the resource collector and managed to destroy the enemy fleet and carrier. I thought that was the end of the painful missions until the next one started, failed in less than 2 minutes lol.
Have to restart tonight maybe :)
Loving the game however.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
SpectralMeat wrote: Yeah I've failed that mission the first time because I ignored the enemy resource collector. The second time around I went after the resource collector and managed to destroy the enemy fleet and carrier. I thought that was the end of the painful missions until the next one started, failed in less than 2 minutes lol.
Have to restart tonight maybe :)
Loving the game however.
I remember back in the day I got to a late game mission that I could not for the life of me beat and I actually had to go back two missions to end up with a fleet that could take it on.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
TripleHelix wrote: I remember back in the day I got to a late game mission that I could not for the life of me beat and I actually had to go back two missions to end up with a fleet that could take it on.
Yep, that's the way this game is. It can be very punishing, but oh so satisfying to just obliterate your enemy and complete those missions.
Can't wait to finish the campaign and do some skirmishes, the Ai is pretty good!
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3803 posts
635 upvotes
Leuven
Salvage corvettes are op as ever. I almost feel I should play a campaign runthrough without using them to see if I could do it.
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
7286 posts
1329 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
I got to mission 8 in SP and the game is kicking my butt like there is no tomorrow.
Then I thought I'd give the skirmish a try against easy Ai again the computer just steam rolled me with destroyers lol
Need more practice I guess
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2008
5861 posts
777 upvotes
Ottawa
SpectralMeat wrote: I got to mission 8 in SP and the game is kicking my butt like there is no tomorrow.
Then I thought I'd give the skirmish a try against easy Ai again the computer just steam rolled me with destroyers lol
Need more practice I guess
I just redid the mission with the destroyers and captured all 3 of them :)

Lost most of my frigate fleet in the process though but these things just steamroll everything in their path. My resource collectors are now harvesting everything on the map while I browse the internet.

Now I must make sure not to lose any of these in the next few missions :)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)