• Last Updated:
  • Mar 10th, 2015 4:31 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 5, 2007
260 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: It's one of those questions that only you can answer depending on your tastes and usage. We actually like "camping" (actually I don't really consider what we do camping) and I'd much rather camp than stay in a hotel but not everyone feels that way. That said I'm not one for roughing it so my idea of camping isn't like most. Cost is something you have to look at it closely as you can save money camping but you can also travel very cheaply other ways so I'm not sure if camping is cheaper than other types of travelling. With trailers / RVs, there's a lot of compromises - personally, I wouldn't even consider one without a bathroom or a well equipped kitchen. Having a trailer / RV is certainly WAY more expensive than just tenting so it depends what your priorities are.

As far as trailers go, first thing I'd consider is your tow vehicle. Most cars are quite limited in their towing capacity. We'd actually like to have a trailer but for the size we want (big 5W), we'd need a very big truck (3/4T or 1T pickup, possibly with dual-rear-wheels) and I just don't want to drive that the rest of the year.

FWIW, we've had motor homes for close to 10 years. Started with a 37' gas class A and have upgraded a few times since (I think we've owned 4 different ones) and now have a 41' diesel motor home. Many will say that this isn't camping and I agree completely - for us, it's a cottage on wheels. We probably spend about 10-12 weeks / year in it.

As far as cost, it really depends on what you are looking for. You can certainly save tons by buying used but obviously that could mean more potential for repairs. Other than cost of the RV itself, you also have to pay insurance (I have no idea if or how much you'd pay to insure a trailer - we pay about the same to insure our motor home as we pay to insure our house or one of our cars). Depending on where you live, you'll probably have to pay storage - we pay about $50/month to store our motor home. You'll have to pay for campsites; this can vary like crazy - we've stayed a bunch of times at WalMart for free (for us, it's by far the most convenient thing to do when we travel), we're stayed at many $20/night or less campgrounds and we've spent $100+/night at other ones (e.g. FortWilderness at Disney is about $125/night during popular seasons). You'll have to pay for gas - this will depend a lot on your tow vehicle and on the size of your trailer. Our motor home gets about 7-9mpg. And you'll likely have to pay for some maintenance and repairs. The amount of repairs depends a lot on how handy you are as you can save a lot by doing some of it yourself.

Winter storage is usually quite cheap (probably $200 or less for the winter if you store outdoors).
Very helpful post. Thank you so much!
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2009
1995 posts
473 upvotes
We have a 23 foot light weight trailer with a small slide I think loaded the trailer weights around 5000 lb and we tow it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Diesel engine. So by having said that your corolla might struggle, you will need at least a suv or truck to do some towing. This is another expense, when you factor in more on fuel, insurance and maintenance on the vehicle.

Not sure if there are rv rental company's out in your area that bring the rv to your specific campground, set it up, and all you do is bring the clothes and food, but they are usually not cheap.

If I were you and wanted to go camping, I would go on kijij buy an older tent trailer which can be had for around $2500 or less, and your corolla can tow that ok, and like you mentioned you'd might inherit a Pontiac Montana which should be no problem at all for towing a smaller tent trailer.

At least with a tent trailer you are off the ground, you can get a plug in site and plug in a heater if need be, plus you can leave/ store most of your camping gear like pots pans etc in the trailer year round. It is a stepping stone towards a real hard wall trailer, plus if you guys realy enjoy it you can save up for a newer tow vehicle plus rv.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12861 posts
1485 upvotes
Pickering
rotjong wrote: We have a 23 foot light weight trailer with a small slide I think loaded the trailer weights around 5000 lb and we tow it with a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Diesel engine. So by having said that your corolla might struggle, you will need at least a suv or truck to do some towing.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2011
1254 posts
429 upvotes
Rent one first to try it, Here you can rent one for $375 a week with insurance. I have a 25 footer that i put on a lot at my parents cottage and its great. My dad and i ran water, power, WiFi and cable out to it so its like a home away from home. Might be a different story if i had to tow it around. I may rent a tent trailer this summer to take kids up to a real camp ground. Anywho I got a 2003 25 footer for $4800. [IMG]http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 ... jghnbf.jpg[/IMG]
No One Goes to Palmerston Ontario
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
parkbr wrote: I don't know how big/small it should be. We have a family of 3, don't think we'll expand. We might invite our parents to go camping with us (so 2 extra ppl at a time), so 5 total. Not sure whether we need a big one or not. Or whether our girl will like camping. I like it because of marshmellow..... My husband like it because he can burn wood......... hmmmmm

Yeah, we need another car. Fortunately, my in-laws have Montana. They might give it to us later, so that might work.
There's a lot more to camping than marshmallows and burning wood. Do you want a travel trailer that you tow around and go to different camp sites, or do you want a park trailer that stays in one campground? If it's the latter, you don't need a new vehicle at all. Go to a trailer and RV lot and go through a bunch of trailers. Figure out what you want in a trailer and go from there.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
parkbr wrote: Is tent trailer a pop-up trailer?
I think they are different. There are so many different styles now its crazy. I think pop-up has the hard walls, but they fold down. Or are triangular shaped. But if someone nows for sure please post here.

We found with a tent trailer, your trip has to be done that day. And you couldnt use it side of the road when you want. Plus taking it down in the rain, not fun, which then also means re-setting it up at home to dry out.

We did it for about 3 years, and while a huge upgrade from our small 14 foot one once it was open. I think it was like 26 feet or more opened, with queen size beds, bathroom, shower, etc.

But there was no use of it while driving. Now with a full camper, we can stop at a road side stop, use the bathroom, eat, etc ,etc. We now camp farther away because we can just stop quick over night and use it, not have to set it up. We have done the Walmart overnight camping in a pinch, dont even unhook the trailer, just put the stabilzer legs down and done. Wake up, pull up the jacks and away we go

Just my two cents
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
parkbr wrote: I don't know how big/small it should be. We have a family of 3, don't think we'll expand. We might invite our parents to go camping with us (so 2 extra ppl at a time), so 5 total. Not sure whether we need a big one or not. Or whether our girl will like camping. I like it because of marshmellow..... My husband like it because he can burn wood......... hmmmmm

Yeah, we need another car. Fortunately, my in-laws have Montana. They might give it to us later, so that might work.
Start out small, we did. I think a mistake many make is going huge for the first time, huge 5th wheel, big truck. Just boom, this massive unit you have no experience with. When we started there was only 4 of us, but we soon outgrew it. But it lasted us a few years and got us into it more. My wife and I were both raised camping and fishing, so we wanted our kids to grow up having the same memories, and plus to get back into stuff we used to do but outgrew it.

If you search, you can find old hard tops from the 70's that are in good shape, but then your car will probbaly not be able to tow them. Our first camper didnt even have a bathroom, but was in great shape, and after some "tweaks" of our own, we sold it for a couple hundred more than we paid.

We had a Montana, and we pulled our 14 foot no problem. But there is defintly more to camping then just sitting around the campfire at night.

To us, it was a great way to have holidays with our kids. They still want to camp with us, and when they are 18 15 and 13 and still want to spend time with mom & dad camping, then thats a win for us for sure.

We also go camping with friends. While camping just the family is fun, add some good friends and their kids, and its a great week or two

I find it a great way to unwind, set up stakes, forget about everything at home, and just relax. Our kids our older now so we dont have to spend all the time with them, they go and do whatever they want. Smaller kids is different, but still fun. You just do more exploring as a family together
Apr 28, 2012
129 posts
9 upvotes
Brampton
parkbr wrote: How often do you go camping normally? Just long-weekends only?
We usually go 3-4 times a year. Always on the May long weekend. This year probably again in August, then the big trip in Sept to Wisconsin.
Feb 26, 2012
6 posts
1 upvote
NEPEAN
We started with a small popup trailer (tent trailer). It was only 1200 lbs and easy to tow. Kids loved it. They help to prepare and set it up everytime. We spent 2 to 4 weeks per year. Went to Disney, Key West, PEI, New Brunswick, Perce (Quebec), etc. Camping may not be for everyone but we loved it. There are so much to experience in the nature. I think it is much more economical for us with the small trailer than staying at hotels and eat out every meal. Remember we usually travel during high season with the kids. Cooking your own meal is usually healthier too. You can research on the camp sites before hand. Look for camps with clean bathrooms (Disney is the best!). Quebec camp sites are generally nicer and cheaper than Ontario ones. We mostly camp beside an ocean. Fresh salt water fish right from the ocean tastes great :-). If you plan to go to Florida in the summer, I would highly recommend a built-in air conditioner or bring a portable one. I read it is a marriage breaker without it :-). I even saw a tent with a window air-conditioner at Disney!

We sold the trailer after 6 years when the kids grown up. My wife and I are now considering a small travel trailer (with hard sides) for mostly just the 2 of us. Travel trailers are much easier and faster to setup. They usually come with a full bathroom. Note that Walmarts in the States allow free overnight trailer parking! As for emptying the toilet, I read people highly recommend a special pump to drain it slowly to your home toilet.

Not sure about Toronto, but parking at an outdoor recreational vehicle storage is very inexpensive in Ottawa. I think it costs less than $30 per month for the 19' trailer I was looking at.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jliR ... /photo.jpg[/IMG]

Here's mine. 24' inside/26.5' outside. Paid $15250 brand new. Supposedly 4300lbs dry but it's 5600lbs loaded.

We were a little worried we wouldn't get our money's worth out of it it, but we have. We usually do a couple weeks a year and a bunch of weekends.

A tent trailer is a good start, best to buy something used so you know if you like it. If you don't like it, you won't lose much when you sell it. If you love camping, you might want to upgrade to a TT before long.

My wife grew up camping in a tent trailer, every summer they went to Shuswap lake, and I grew up camping with scouts and lots of trips in my grandparent's van conversion.

If you have to upgrade your tow vehicle, you're often better off looking at a motorhome. It's an extra engine to maintain, but you'll save a lot of money in gas by commuting with your corolla.

I don't think it saves us any money. Mine probably depreciates at least $1000/year. Insurance is almost $300. I haven't had many issues, but long term it will cost me a couple hundred a year in maintenance to keep it going. I probably use triple the fuel driving anywhere compared to a car. Say 20 nights a year at $30/night. Altogether, it's probably more than the $100/night or so that a motel costs. I think it really only saves money if you have a pretty small one, or a few kids and the food savings is significant. But I like staying in the woods as well, where there are no motels at all, I didn't get one to save money.

My camping seasons are lot longer now. I used to go from Victoria day to maybe mid-Sept. Now I can go year round.

In the 3 years we've had it, it's been to Prince George, Yellowstone, Reno, Seqouia park, San Fran, up the Oregon coast, Shuswap, and a bunch of weekend trips.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
Don't you need a special class driver's license to drive a long trailer?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Pavel wrote: Don't you need a special class driver's license to drive a long trailer?
In BC, no. Longest I've driven is 36' inside so probably just under 40' bumper to hitch. (and 8000lbs.) I have a class 5. (I also have the air brakes endorsement, so I can drive a 2-axle truck with airbrakes, but that doesn't change what trailers I can drive.)

BUT, you do need either a heavy trailer endorsement or a house trailer endorsement to tow a trailer more than 10000lbs. If either the tow vehicle or trailer has air brakes, you need a class one.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Pavel wrote: Don't you need a special class driver's license to drive a long trailer?
No, but you do have to be under the towing capacity your vehicle can handle in BC. While they dont check everyone, if your are over your GVRW or capacity, they will turn you around.

Reason I found this out was when we went into BC for the first time and I wanted to be sure, and checked at a weigh station at Sparwood to see if I was over or under. I was under and the officer said if patrols think you are overweight and check they can turn you around.

He says he has seen trucks with 5th wheels so over capacity its nuts. I know somedays we are close to being the max, but hauling 5 people and 2 dogs and all the stuff for a month sometimes had to pack perfect. We get better ever year, and go on a "trailer diet" after each trip getting rid of things we thought we would need, or have to many of one thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
rotjong wrote: . So by having said that your corolla might struggle, .
Might struggle? I would say with corolla's towing capacity of around 1500lb the possible struggle will turn into death when the vehicle can't stop (assuming it even moves).

I was debating getting a trailer but decided it's not worth it for us, and the choice is very personal, but for anyone getting into it they should understand all the costs related to it, and the main one is having a vehicle capable of doing the work, and in most cases the towing capacity of the vehicle should significantly exceed the weight of the trailer as specified by the manufacturer (since the towed trailer is never towed empty).
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote: Might struggle? I would say with corolla's towing capacity of around 1500lb the possible struggle will turn into death when the vehicle can't stop (assuming it even moves).

I was debating getting a trailer but decided it's not worth it for us, and the choice is very personal, but for anyone getting into it they should understand all the costs related to it, and the main one is having a vehicle capable of doing the work, and in most cases the towing capacity of the vehicle should significantly exceed the weight of the trailer as specified by the manufacturer (since the towed trailer is never towed empty).
I would say if ya person is looking into starting this, is do research on towing capacity, GVRW and all the terms so they understand the concept first before thinking about towing. So many just throw whatever into their trailer and truck/car/suv and are way over capacity. Some dont even realize that the more gas you have the vehcile the greater the GVRW, and that people are part of that. They think that just whats in the truck bed is what counts.

I may be anal when it comes to towing, but Ive got me and my family in my truck, IM not taking any chances.

This is my current rig. I make sure the tongue is always level, or close to. Ive seen vehciles pulling stuff down the road and between the trailer and vehicle it looks like a V. I always shift weight to make sure, and even 50 lbs difference from the back of the truck and mocing it to the back of the trailer affects it

[IMG]http://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y50 ... 1451c6.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Basically, IMO, you want to aim for a trailer about half the weight of the tow rating. Halfton trucks might be rated up to 10000lbs, but you probably don't want to tow above 5000lbs with them. 4Runners, Pilots, and similar are rated around 5000lbs, so aim for something around 2500lbs. That way you'll have space to put water and gear in the trailer, and people in the tow vehicle, and generally not exceed the various ratings.

As as mentioned, there's more to safe towing that just being under the tow rating. Axle and GVWR are legal requirements. GCWR, hitch rating, and tow rating are manufacturer recommendations and should not be exceeded either.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
i6s1 wrote: Basically, IMO, you want to aim for a trailer about half the weight of the tow rating. Halfton trucks might be rated up to 10000lbs, but you probably don't want to tow above 5000lbs with them. 4Runners, Pilots, and similar are rated around 5000lbs, so aim for something around 2500lbs. That way you'll have space to put water and gear in the trailer, and people in the tow vehicle, and generally not exceed the various ratings.

As as mentioned, there's more to safe towing that just being under the tow rating. Axle and GVWR are legal requirements. GCWR, hitch rating, and tow rating are manufacturer recommendations and should not be exceeded either.
While partiialy correct, all half tons arent built the same. Some are built to tow, and while you say a 10000 lb rating should only be 5000, the "half raiting" doesnt make sense. Its when people get close to or over that capacity is where problems arise, have a 10000 lbs towing capacity and buy a trailer dry weight of 7500 or 8000 lbs

Towing capacity is different than GVRW. if you can tow 10,000 lbs, and only get a trailer thats 5000 lbs dry, it would take a lot of stuff to make up another 5000 lbs
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2808 posts
940 upvotes
Newmarket
Spidey wrote: I would say if ya person is looking into starting this, is do research on towing capacity, GVRW and all the terms so they understand the concept first before thinking about towing. So many just throw whatever into their trailer and truck/car/suv and are way over capacity. Some dont even realize that the more gas you have the vehcile the greater the GVRW, and that people are part of that. They think that just whats in the truck bed is what counts.

I may be anal when it comes to towing, but Ive got me and my family in my truck, IM not taking any chances.

]
1000% agree, safety first. When I was reading up on the subject I quickly realized that having a strong enough engine is just the beginning, brakes, suspension and everything else related to keeping everyone safe has to be taken into consideration first. Then there are ongoing cost, initial cost, wear on tear on the car, storage issues, camping rules, regulations, bookings, municipal bylaws for leaving the trailer on the driveway........There are many variables to consider when getting a trailer apart from just from wants, desires and lifestyle.

Nice set up Spidey.
Deal Expert
Oct 16, 2001
76501 posts
1583 upvotes
Homerhomer wrote: 1000% agree, safety first. When I was reading up on the subject I quickly realized that having a strong enough engine is just the beginning, brakes, suspension and everything else related to keeping everyone safe has to be taken into consideration first. Then there are ongoing cost, initial cost, wear on tear on the car, storage issues, camping rules, regulations, bookings, municipal bylaws for leaving the trailer on the driveway........There are many variables to consider when getting a trailer apart from just from wants, desires and lifestyle.

Nice set up Spidey.
Thanks, big step up from when we started. Has a side slide and a rear slide for the bed. So while 25 feet towing, opens up to I think 30 feet. After a few years we may downgrade to something smaller. We went this big because our kids outgrew the beds in our 21 foot. Our oldest garduates this year and still wants to camp, but eventually it will just be the wife and I (not for awhile but it will happen) and when it does we will go a lot smaller, just for ease of towing, parking, etc, etc, etc.

We have seen some smaller trailes while camping, and some of the setups they have these days are pretty sweet
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
Spidey wrote: While partiialy correct, all half tons arent built the same. Some are built to tow, and while you say a 10000 lb rating should only be 5000, the "half raiting" doesnt make sense. Its when people get close to or over that capacity is where problems arise, have a 10000 lbs towing capacity and buy a trailer dry weight of 7500 or 8000 lbs

Towing capacity is different than GVRW. if you can tow 10,000 lbs, and only get a trailer thats 5000 lbs dry, it would take a lot of stuff to make up another 5000 lbs
It's a generalization.

How many times have you towed 8000lb trailers with halftons? Even one rated for 10k? If you've done it, you'd probably know why it's a good idea to shoot for a trailer with a dry weight around 5000lbs.

My trailer, advertised as 4300lbs dry, has an 800lb tongue weight loaded. My brother in law's, advertised as 7000lbs dry, has a tongue weight of 1400lbs. Halftons usually have a real-world cargo capacity of around 1500lbs. Regular cab 2wd V6s might have more, heavy duty axles might have more, but most halftons on the road are 4x4 crewcabs with a v8, and no heavy duty axle.

The 10000lb tow rating on halftons assumes a perfect trailer with a 10% hitch weight. There are no travel trailers like that. They assume no options on the truck, and they assume just a 150lb driver. Nobody camps like that.

A 5000lb dry trailer is going to be 6000lbs when loaded, with a tongue weight around 800lbs or more. Most families weigh far more than 150lbs, so add a few hundred pounds extra for the wife, kids and dogs. Add a bit for the gear in the truck bed, and add a few hundred pounds for factory and aftermarket truck options. And you're pretty close to the GVWR of the truck.

For a travel trailer and a family in the cab, you'll hit your legal GVWR limit long before you max out the tow rating. That's why I recommend a generous buffer when looking at tow rating.

I've towed a brand new, dry 8000lb trailer, 36' long, in my halfton truck, with just me in the cab and no junk in the back. And it was not an experience that I'd recommend that someone try regularly.

From looking at your trailer, I'd say that you're around 5000lbs dry, but I'd bet you're pretty close to GVWR on the truck, unless it's a 2500.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)