• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2015 7:44 pm
Tags:
None
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
232 upvotes

Company that will set up streaming services in your home

My father in law told me about a company that will come into your home, and set up your entire home network to stream tv, movies, netflix etc from your pc to your tv. It was called Break away from cable or something like that

It was an all inclusive package, setting up routers, wi-fi, etc, they did everything that was required. He heard this on am 640 or 1010 yesterday on the radio but can't remember the company name or which radio host had it. I've tried searching it but was unsuccessful.

I've tried doing this in the past but ran into issues, it's a service I would gladly pay for.

Does anyone have any idea which company this was or know of anyone who does it?

Thanks
11 replies
Penalty Box
Apr 25, 2013
7398 posts
1338 upvotes
I am sure guys here on RFD or Craigslist would do it for less than half the cost they were going to charge you.
Better if you buy the hardware yourself then to let them sell you whatever limited overpriced selection they are offering you.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2010
6145 posts
2957 upvotes
Kanata
Were they going to network your whole house and have streaming services everywhere, or just one comp streaming to the TV. Depending on your needs and the equipment you he may already have setting up one comp connected to tv and setting up steaming isn't too hard.

If they're going to do more things and he has the money to spare sure good idea.
Uh, yeah, I'd like to speak to a Mr. Tabooger, first name Ollie.
Deal Guru
Oct 24, 2012
11641 posts
2620 upvotes
Montreal
Setup stream service using illegal services from Kodi and such, for people who have no clue or to update/fix the add-ons when (not if) they break.
Nice......
I bet they have no after-sales service.
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
232 upvotes
alkizmo wrote: Setup stream service using illegal services from Kodi and such, for people who have no clue or to update/fix the add-ons when (not if) they break.
Nice......
I bet they have no after-sales service.
Actually no, I am some what capable when it comes to technology, (I'm not great, but not totally incapable) and that's not what I need the service for.
Apr 2, 2009
851 posts
232 upvotes
Tabooger wrote: Were they going to network your whole house and have streaming services everywhere, or just one comp streaming to the TV. Depending on your needs and the equipment you he may already have setting up one comp connected to tv and setting up steaming isn't too hard.

If they're going to do more things and he has the money to spare sure good idea.
It's more involved than streaming to one tv, at least in my case,
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't think it would be a very good idea. Aside from the simplest commercial services like Netflix, it's not just a one-time thing - it takes constant work to keep up to date and keep fixing or substituting for things that are broken.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12015 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
It is not hard. I have it setup in my house. I can stream to anything with a screen including cell phones, tablets and televisions.
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2014
1251 posts
120 upvotes
Toronto, ON
+1 what alkizmo said. Netflix should be pretty straight forward. But for others like Kodi, what happens after they set it up for you, are they going to provide support? Kodi is not for everyone, you need to be hands on and have time/patience to find solutions. With forums, vids and other internet sources, there is plenty of support for common problems.
Yes this service might be good for people who don't know much, but at same time, what do you do when you run into an issue?

Are they going to setup something like tv services from vmedia or the likes? That seems to be as simple as buying a box and subscribing. If you know the basic of technology, like coming on here, I would say you should be good enough to set things up yourself. Kodi is not very hard to get going at all. You just have to have the patience and desire to learn. If not, its probably not for you.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
TIL I can charge people for setting up Plex.

Also anyone want Plex set up? Only $499!
Now includes Monster cables for extra quality.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)