Home & Garden

First time BBQ - confused - which charcoal bbq to buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 19th, 2015 10:37 am
Sep 19, 2010
113 posts
4 upvotes

First time BBQ - confused - which charcoal bbq to buy?

Hi BBQers,

This is my first time at BBQ. I am thinking to start off with a small BBQ to test the waters.

Between gas and charcoal; I have decided to go with charcoal. I want to experience the real deal :)

Minimum once a week hopefully more. No Steaks but everything else (basic stuff).

I have 3 BBQs shortlisted. I am confused with the size.

I will be getting chimney too.

Should I go with the 18.5 inch one?
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/backyard-gr ... 0191463095

Is the 22 inch walmart square/rectange with the slide table?
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-deluxe-s ... 0190264463

Or should I spend the $20 more and go for the 22inch Kettle from CDN tire?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... XXYKc94ppg

It's not the money that I worried about it. I just don't something too big for my purpose.
I want something that will satisfy my cooking needs with easy storage.

Please provide some feedback and suggestions.

Thanks for all your time.
18 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1286 posts
355 upvotes
Spend $100 and get a basic Weber you will be happy.
Apr 8, 2007
566 posts
202 upvotes
I would agree with the basic Weber kettle because of the build quality but also for the accessories that support this particular product. There are tons of stuff out there made for the Weber already.

However, this wasn't one of the options that you have mentioned so I'll just give you some extra factors that might help you choose.
1. Which model has better airflow control?
You will want the model with both bottom and top damper openings so you can control your temperature. Remember, you don't have a dial to set temperature, you will need to learn proper air flow management to get the temperature you want.

2. Ease of clean up
I'm not sure about the walmart models but the CT one has an ash catcher. When cooking with lump charcoal or briquettes, you will have ash and residue that you need to clean up and you don't want to have to spend 10 minutes each time cleaning up your grill before you fire it up. This will add to the stigma that charcoal takes forever to start cooking on.

3. Size
Aside from determining how many people you need to cook for size will also help determine what you can cook. If you had a larger grill, you will have an easier time doing indirect cooking because you can create a better separation of the coals. Also, the dome shape on the CT will give you extra clearance for larger items such as turkeys or if you want to cook vertically like beer can chicken. With the flatter Walmart bbqs, you will be limited to pretty much flat items(you can always spatchcock to make it fit). Not sure what you will cook in it mostly but you can take this into consideration.

Which ever one you pick, how you enjoy it will depend what you make of it. There is always a leaning curve but doing test cooks and consistent use of the grill will be your best teacher. Charcoal cooking is not built for speed, however if you are smart about it you will find ways around it and it will be a great experience. You can grill something for dinner when you get home from work on a weekday the same way you can do it with a gas grill. With the chimney starter, it speeds up the process as well.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
13011 posts
3095 upvotes
Toronto
lessca wrote: Hi BBQers,

This is my first time at BBQ. I am thinking to start off with a small BBQ to test the waters.

Between gas and charcoal; I have decided to go with charcoal. I want to experience the real deal :)

I will be BBQing for 3 adults only. Minimum once a week hopefully more.
No Steaks but everything else (basic stuff).

I have 3 BBQs shortlisted. I am confused with the size.

I will be getting chimney too.

Should I go with the 18.5 inch one?
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/backyard-gr ... 0191463095

Is the 22 inch walmart square/rectange with the slide table?
http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/21-deluxe-s ... 0190264463

Or should I spend the $20 more and go for the 22inch Kettle from CDN tire?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maste ... XXYKc94ppg

It's not the money that I worried about it. I just don't something too big for my purpose.
I want something that will satisfy my cooking needs with easy storage.

Please provide some feedback and suggestions.

Thanks for all your time.
I say pick number 3. It's on sale right now for $60 ($20 off). Definitely get a chimney. A weber one.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16872 posts
2557 upvotes
lessca wrote: Between gas and charcoal; I have decided to go with charcoal. I want to experience the real deal :)
Charcoal tastes good, and is a nice novelty, but after a couple times you'll get sick of starting a charcoal BBQ, tending it, and disposing of the embers.

Spend the money on a gas grill. When you're skilled, moved to a Charcoal grill (or use one at the park).
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3097 posts
474 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
Weber 22.5" One-touch. Easy ash disposal, good airflow, easy to clean, cooks lots of burgers. Get a Weber chimney for starting, takes 10 mins to get to 400F easy. Read the guide that comes with it for cooking different things. I hated BBQ chicken and now I love it. I learned something. The flavor will blow your mind if you've only eaten off gas grills for years. The few minutes extra prep is so worth it.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1370 posts
265 upvotes
Winnipeg
I have the canadian tire one and it barely lasted a season. I went out and got the Weber 22 in on clearance at target for almost the same price and the difference is night and day!

Save yourself the pain and troubles of the master chef and get the weber!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2012
5381 posts
4998 upvotes
Toronto
Stick with charcoal. It is worth the minimal effort involved. Use a chimney starter and you'll be grilling in 20 mins.

Don't use briquettes. Get real lump charcoal. You can get nice stuff at Costco for $12 a bag (green and white bag) or Maple Leaf at Rona for about $18 is also nice.

Get some different chunks of wood like hickory, apple etc. to toss in when you're doing up a longer cook like a beer can chicken.
Aug 3, 2011
418 posts
100 upvotes
Toronto
coolspot wrote: Charcoal tastes good, and is a nice novelty, but after a couple times you'll get sick of starting a charcoal BBQ, tending it, and disposing of the embers.

Spend the money on a gas grill. When you're skilled, moved to a Charcoal grill (or use one at the park).
++

You will get more consistent result with the gas-grill since you can control the heat much easier.

With the charcoal grill, you will always get either the best result... or the worst result (under/over-cooked). After wasting a few quality meats, you will regret it.

After a season of gas-grilling, you can go for the charcoal version.

As for me, I never do charcoal grill really. I always do the gas-grilling for the steaks/chickens/etc. I, however, use the smokers (charcoal) for the boston butts/picnics.
Oct 4, 2014
138 posts
10 upvotes
bowmanville, ON
at1212b wrote: I say pick number 3. It's on sale right now for $60 ($20 off). Definitely get a chimney.
agree with this. i use kingsford charcoal and i highly recommend you do as well. i use briquettes. never liked lump.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2004
2171 posts
1017 upvotes
Toronto
Another vote for Weber charcoal.
Jul 3, 2014
59 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Weber Performer will be the last charcoal grill you buy. Nice big table, one touch ash removal, two baskets for 1,2 and 3 zone cooking plus a gas ignition. Lump is a little harder to control but about 60% less ash.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
Get a weber. Charcoal is great, if we're not in a hurry I'd prefer the Weber over the grill any day. Plus it's fun. The work involved makes even burgers an event :D
Jul 11, 2009
853 posts
887 upvotes
Toronto
I've got a weber gas grill (s-330). it's great. complete meal (meat, veg & carb) grilled in 20 minutes, 25 minutes including pre-heat.

Last week, I pulled out the old weber go-anywhere portable charcoal bbq for fun. takes some getting used to, but it's also great. 20 minutes for the chimney to light and variable for the cooking.
I mistakenly lit a full chimney only to learn it only fits 3/4 of a chimney. steak was done medium rare in 5 minutes flat. sealed it up and used the left over charcoal for chicken thighs, but that took 45 minutes rather than 18 on the gas grill. appreciated the hints of charcoal smoke flavour.

if you love grilling, they both have a place. gas grilling is like a science, charcoal grilling is like an art.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
282 upvotes
The big green egg ftw

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)