Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto

False advertisement on house’s square footage

I just notice an agent is listing a house with 20% bigger than the builder’s floor plan on the ad (I happen to know the exact size). Is he allowed to do so ? Or it is a fraud ?

I thought the agents can decide not to list the size or list the range only, but not purposely list the wrong size, is it correct ?
46 replies
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rdx wrote: I just notice an agent is listing a house with 20% bigger than the builder’s floor plan on the ad (I happen to know the exact size). Is he allowed to do so ? Or it is a fraud ?

I thought the agents can decide not to list the size or list the range only, but not purposely list the wrong size, is it correct ?
they always have right on feature sheet that buyer is to verify all measurements. maybe they're including finished spaces?

what makes you think the builder's feature sheet is correct? they have the same caveat in their materials.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
Maybe they wrongly included the square footage of a finished basement?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 27, 2011
566 posts
267 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Maybe they wrongly included the square footage of a finished basement?
You can't include square footage for a finished basement?

But ya, thats most likely what it is.
Deal Guru
Jun 7, 2005
10356 posts
1478 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Maybe they wrongly included the square footage of a finished basement?
If they include the basement, the square footage would be more than they listed though, and usually basement is not included in the listed square footage. If they do, they need to specify it or say "total living space" which kind of implying the basement is included.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
Share the link to the listing.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1300 posts
365 upvotes
Toronto
bleysX wrote: You can't include square footage for a finished basement?

Ive seen it done. Sometimes with a * and then states "livable space". Not sure if its right to do though.
Nov 27, 2011
566 posts
267 upvotes
rdx wrote: If they include the basement, the square footage would be more than they listed though, and usually basement is not included in the listed square footage. If they do, they need to specify it or say "total living space" which kind of implying the basement is included.
20% extra makes sense for a basement if you consider unfinished spaces, ie. utility room, storage.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19235 posts
17863 upvotes
GTA, ON
bleysX wrote: You can't include square footage for a finished basement?

I know you can't include the basement, that's why I stated 'wrongly' but this ia likely what they did.

For other RFD, The square footage excludes the basement, and when it is considered it should be written like 2800sqft +1000sqft to signify the extra livable space.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Banned
Nov 1, 2014
4317 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto, ON
chimaican wrote: I know you can't include the basement, that's why I stated 'wrongly' but this ia likely what they did.

For other RFD, The square footage excludes the basement, and when it is considered it should be written like 2800sqft +1000sqft to signify the extra livable space.
although I'm in land development..I don't really deal with builders and the RE side..so i want to ask

is there legislation or some sort of law that governs how livable space is to be divided/included and presented in a listing?

what about 3 storey dwellings? are all storeys included? what constitutes a basement? is a walkout basement included in the space? or is it treated like ground floor?

when does a ground floor become a basement? when half of it is under? all of it? a quarter?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
What exactly is the listing's wording on the square footage?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41788 posts
30051 upvotes
Center of Universe
chimaican wrote: I know you can't include the basement, that's why I stated 'wrongly' but this ia likely what they did.

May be different for "used" homes and singles, but new construction towns that comes with a finished basement; includes it as part of the total square footage.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
maybe Dinning room and living room is 1 room?
but they
separated the listing as i.e

Dining room 17x 12
Living room 17x12

instead of Dining / Living room 17x12
??
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2011
1689 posts
399 upvotes
rdx wrote: It is on kijiji

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-house-for-sale/m ... nFlag=true

Bedrooms (#) 4 bedrooms
Bathrooms (#) 4 bathrooms
Size (sqft) 2500
Kijiji is not an official listing - they can list whatever the heck they want. I'm assuming you know the house to be around 2150 some what sq ft and they're listing it as 2500. That does suck, but most likely the owners just don't even know the exact size since it's not a brand new house. It's normal for the agent to just walk around the house and say, "yeah this seems like a 2500 sq ft house". On the listing it's probably listed as 2200-2500 sq ft or something.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1046 posts
150 upvotes
Burlington, ON
Agents list whatever they want, true or not.
Remember looking for my first home and when I was checking this one home, I got there there was no garage, when it clearly stated there was one in the listing. Was pretty pissed, big thing to have incorrect in the ad.
Nov 20, 2007
350 posts
18 upvotes
Ha I know that house. Definitely not 2500.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3798 upvotes
Thornhill
Ca't find that listing on the agents' MLS site. Do you know the address?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6112 posts
660 upvotes
SW Ontario
Bisons wrote: Agents list whatever they want, true or not.
Remember looking for my first home and when I was checking this one home, I got there there was no garage, when it clearly stated there was one in the listing. Was pretty pissed, big thing to have incorrect in the ad.
I feel your pain. We just went through that. Even saw 2 bdr listed as 3. Some that had a garage, when we got there it was literally collapsing. One place was listed as fully renovated and move in ready. When we got here nothing was done and the furnace wasn't even connected!! What a waste of time.
Deal Addict
Sep 5, 2009
3301 posts
1486 upvotes
It's funny when we bought our home my partner and I would joke, "it's a great listing with amazing photos, so it has to be a dump". It always felt like the more exciting the listing and nicer the photos the worse the actual house would turn out.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)