Tags:
None
9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
BoombasticSloth wrote: Thanks for the great post, OP. Exciting stuff!
Very exciting,

I can't even imagine the possibilities if what is speculated is remotely true...

We could be in for some VERY small form factor, incredibly powerful machines soon.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
System memory and storage all in one and far better than current memory performance. No lag while the CPU loads since it can all be in system memory all the time. Pretty awesome.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2009
2392 posts
461 upvotes
1000 times faster? Geez. Just release a 10 x faster and I will be damn happy. There's just so many cool technologies I'm still waiting for especially graphene.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Exactly! Call me when it actually gets to market 1000x faster than all the other vaporware.

We'll be able to power it with all the 10x better batteries we should be getting real soon now according to the twice-monthly announcements of breakthrough battery technologies. :)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2014
5219 posts
1679 upvotes
Toronto
JamesA1 wrote: Exactly! Call me when it actually gets to market 1000x faster than all the other vaporware.

We'll be able to power it with all the 10x better batteries we should be getting real soon now according to the twice-monthly announcements of breakthrough battery technologies. :)
You don't think battery tech isn't being attacked aggressively right now? Probably the hottest market for improvement as everything will be battery operated/powered VERY soon. that stuff is worth fortunes I know its a race for the best right now in R&D

this isn't going to hit market for a long time, but it seems they realized a breakthrough they sort of looked over for a long time with this 3d stacking. nothing crazy manufacturing wise.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
The promise of 3D stacking has been around for decades now, frequently the subject of promising experimental prototypes, never cost-effective enough to manufacture since Moore's Law was giving sufficient 2D improvements (double every 24 months). But lately it looks like the 24 months in Moore's Law is stretching out to 30 months, so it may finally be reaching the improvement limits available in 2D. The time for 3D might be coming.

As for batteries, prototype improvements are easy - that's why there's so many of them. Manufacturing is hard. That's why we aren't getting any actual significant improvements. Don't expect that to change any time soon.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2002
1908 posts
491 upvotes
This has already been known. It's coming out on the Purley Platform (Skylake CPU server platform). The platform uses the Apache Pass memory platform (what is basically what this is). It's a hybrid memory platform in which the 12 memory slots can be filled with either traditional DDR4 RAM sticks or hybrid DDR4+HMC sticks which I believe was announced to be available in upto 800GB capacity each. Purley is about a year away from market so I wouldn't expect to see this in traditional desktop/laptop for 2-3 years.

-LeeBear
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2005
13432 posts
297 upvotes
Midland
LEXX911 wrote: 1000 times faster? Geez. Just release a 10 x faster and I will be damn happy. There's just so many cool technologies I'm still waiting for especially graphene.
It will save something to storage even before you press SAVE. :)
"Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - US President, Calvin Coolidge

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)