Leafs Talk (2022/23): Chat away

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 9:35 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2003
16073 posts
910 upvotes
Stouffville
Jimboski wrote: How does having better numbers than the previous #1 goalie not beneficiary? Good excuses though but you'll need better ones, he clearly could have capitalized on the first attempt at taking back the starting job but clearly he didn't show up.. That's his fault, no one elses.
Calm down about that.. Reimer had just as good, if not better SV% up until the Winter Classic that Bernier did... and was 10-5-1.. yet Carlyle/Nonis still felt that #1 should definiitely go to Bernier and not Reimer.. even Bernier has given up more stupid/weak goals than Reimer as well... Reimer has been quite bad his past 7 games (sans Kings game) but Bernier has also not been that great his last 3 games as well..even with lots of shots on goal by St Louis.. he still let in VERY weak goals..

oh, and then there is Phaneuf too
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Jimboski wrote: You're the one making false claims saying other people (probably me) only said that Bernier was the answer, nice try though - you may be the delusional one.
Sigh, what are you saying then? I've always said that it was a useless trade yet my opposers said it was great. Nothing was gained, Bernier is better this season (but vs Reim's past record, not quite) and the Leafs are still wallowing for a playoff spot. They should have spent their efforts elsewhere. Doesn't matter, they still wasted effort in goal when they could have gotten *anything* to better their D. This is the result.

grappos13 wrote: Calm down about that.. Reimer had just as good, if not better SV% up until the Winter Classic that Bernier did... and was 10-5-1.. yet Carlyle/Nonis still felt that #1 should definiitely go to Bernier and not Reimer.. even Bernier has given up more stupid/weak goals than Reimer as well... Reimer has been quite bad his past 7 games (sans Kings game) but Bernier has also not been that great his last 3 games as well..even with lots of shots on goal by St Louis.. he still let in VERY weak goals..

oh, and then there is Phaneuf too
Agreed. I'm not alone in this fight it seems!

It was a foregone conclusion once those 2 knuckleheads (Nonis and Carlyle) decided to go for Bernier instead of Carlyle doing the honorable thing and performing seppuku on open ice at the end of Game 7 for such abysmal coaching failure. It was just a matter of subtle, skilful and sneaky moves to ensure later on in the season to anoint their 'Chosen One'.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5236 posts
813 upvotes
grappos13 wrote: oh, and then there is Phaneuf too
The 7 mil pylon was the only -2 tonight with less ice time than other dmen.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1026 posts
277 upvotes
Can't and shouldn't blame the goalie's when there's 40+ shots against on a regular basis. Doesn't matter who's in net, Carlyle needs to mix up the lines. Not really much else left to do.

Would help to bench Clarkson so its not a 5 on 4 for the other team whenever he's on the ice.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
23197 posts
2328 upvotes
Singapore
skwigglyline wrote: Can't and shouldn't blame the goalie's when there's 40+ shots against on a regular basis. Doesn't matter who's in net, Carlyle needs to mix up the lines. Not really much else left to do.

Would help to bench Clarkson so its not a 5 on 4 for the other team whenever he's on the ice.
Isn't that like the theme of this season? I don't know of any other playoff contending teams that face that many shots on every given night.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3785 posts
6265 upvotes
Seemingly, just a month ago, The Toronto Maple Leafs were a shoe in for a playoff position. Well, they just made history. The Titanic was not the biggest sinking disaster, the Leafs are ! The Fukushima Nuclear power plant, was not the biggest meltdown disaster, the Leafs are !
May 18, 2006
997 posts
24 upvotes
Allen84 wrote: Seemingly, just a month ago, The Toronto Maple Leafs were a shoe in for a playoff position. Well, they just made history. The Titanic was not the biggest sinking disaster, the Leafs are ! The Fukushima Nuclear power plant, was not the biggest meltdown disaster, the Leafs are !
Ouch. I'm not even Japanese and I found that reference a little offensive - too soon, maybe?

Anyway, congrats on post #1000!
May 18, 2006
997 posts
24 upvotes
inntents wrote: I can't believe that no one has come up with my ultimate solution??!!

Why is Doophagoofa not moved from defenceman to forward? He LOVES to be on the rush, hopefully his aim will be a little better closer to the goal from the blueline, and when he spends a large portion of his playing time standing in front of the net screening a goalie, it will be the OTHER team's goalie!

Think Phil Esposito, people! He made a career of standing in front of the opposition net. Doophagoofa can do his rotating flamingo garden ornament routine as per usual, except at the other end of the ice, AND BE EFFECTIVE! Just imagine the goals! the screens! the tips! the times at the end of shifts where he has no stamina left! - he wouldn't have to worry about getting back to mess up on defence.

Best of all, he could cut his ice time by 6 or 7 minutes, easily. At the end of the game, when he normally has absolutely nothing left in the tank, and little boys knock him over or skate circles around him as he waves his held-in-one-hand stick at them, he might actually contribute. To his OWN team!

One can only dream. Aaaahh....... :)
BuddyGuy wrote: standing in front of the net screening a goalie
rotating flamingo garden ornament routine
waves his held-in-one-hand stick at them

Damn, I almost fell off of my chair laughing at that... I swore that I wasn't the only person who thought Phaneuf looked like a weathervane in the middle of a windstorm at times...

But seriously, getting taken down by Alex "I'm shorter than you by at least 6 inches" Steen was too much...
No laughing matter.
I'm actually serious here. Why not?
Plus, he's such a dope he'd think it was a promotion, 'cause of how much of an offensive force he is.
Otherwise, he needs to go. I don't care what they get for him, or how much of his salary they need to eat.
Addition by subtraction.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2006
3785 posts
6265 upvotes
inntents wrote: Ouch. I'm not even Japanese and I found that reference a little offensive - too soon, maybe?

Anyway, congrats on post #1000!
Lol ! Thanks ! I didnt realize I reached 1000 posts ! Yayyyy. Not trying to be offensive, its just the name of the power plant. Was going to use Chernobyl, but after a little research, this was the worst meltdown that ever happened. But now after last night, the Leafs almost certainly took that crown !
Deal Guru
Jul 20, 2006
12736 posts
6257 upvotes
Starting tonight, they are going to win 5 of the next 7 games and make the playoffs and upset the Penguins in the first round. You read it here first, assuming that's who they will play in the first round.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2009
1026 posts
277 upvotes
bobcat99 wrote: Starting tonight, they are going to win 5 of the next 7 games and make the playoffs and upset the Penguins in the first round. You read it here first, assuming that's who they will play in the first round.
lol maybe..or ill up that and say they take on Boston in the first round and beat em in 7..!
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
This thread has turned into a fantasy novel thread.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7578 posts
576 upvotes
York
Who's starting in net tonight?

Leafs recall D'Amigo. Good call. Let's hope Clarkson is a healthy scratch.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 3, 2005
5295 posts
1266 upvotes
Georgetown
4 homes games... then 3 road games... need to get points on these home games.....
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
dankup wrote: Who's starting in net tonight?
Better question is who'll coach? Isn't Carlyle in the ICU of some hospital?
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
To the guy saying we did nothing to improve our defence this year.. Uh, Gleason?

Not sure what else could have been done if players weren't available..
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2012
3280 posts
489 upvotes
Mississauga
tranquility922 wrote: Better question is who'll coach? Isn't Carlyle in the ICU of some hospital?
What, he is behind the bench for the game I believe.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)