Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver

Adblock sold to unknown buyer

The popular Adblock browser extension has been in the news before for selling exemptions to companies that want to bypass their blocking. Now they have apparently been sold to an undisclosed new buyer.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/02/adbl ... sion-sold/

"creator Michael Gundlach posted a note in an update to his Adblock Chrome Extension saying that he was selling the company, with his "long-time managing director" taking over the role of working with that new company. It seems that Gundlach is no longer working with Adblock at all

The update itself turned on the "acceptable ads" feature; Adblock will now show "useful ads" by default, with more aggressive and annoying ads getting blocked. "
25 replies
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
There's an important distinction to be made here. In your first sentence, you're actually referring to the Adblock Plus add-on. They are the ones who started the "Acceptable Ads" initiative.

This Adblock is a different adblock add-on entirely who are now doing the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Didn't realize they were different, thanks.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1540 posts
405 upvotes
Just use uBlock Origin, it's the most efficient adblocker (not uBlock, get uBlock Origin).
Deal Fanatic
Jan 13, 2005
7766 posts
165 upvotes
I bet you Google bought it so we have to watching commercials on YouTube again.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
Acceptable ads is and has always been optional anyway.
Jun 8, 2015
281 posts
49 upvotes
funkland
ToNIX wrote: Just use uBlock Origin, it's the most efficient adblocker (not uBlock, get uBlock Origin).
Ublock origin and Privacy badger are my two go-to mods.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
nano wrote: I bet you Google bought it so we have to watching commercials on YouTube again.
uBlock (no uBlock Origin for Safari :( ) + hosts file, updated weekly
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10543 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
+1 uBlock Origin for Firefox and Chrome.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2012
1135 posts
290 upvotes
Mississauga
ToNIX wrote: Just use uBlock Origin, it's the most efficient adblocker (not uBlock, get uBlock Origin).
What's the difference between the two? Never heard of the origin one.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10543 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
shmogt wrote: What's the difference between the two? Never heard of the origin one.
The creator of uBlock transfered ownership to some other guy. The said new person started asking for donations, creator didn't like it. The owner rebranded his own project and added Origin to it.

The reddit TL;DR.
- gorhill got tired of dozens of "my facebook isnt working plz help" issues.
- he handed the repository to chrismatic while maintaining control of the extension in the Chrome webstore (by forking chrismatic's version back to himself).
- chrismatic promptly added donate buttons and a "made with love by Chris" note.
- gorhill took exception to this and asked chrismatic to change the name so people didn't confuse uBlock (the original, now called uBlock Origin) and uBlock (chrismatic's version).
- Google took down gorhill's extension. Apparently this was because of the naming issue (since technically chrismatic has control of the repo).
- gorhill renamed and rebranded his version of ublock to uBlock Origin.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1638 posts
517 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
nano wrote: I bet you Google bought it so we have to watching commercials on YouTube again.
Google has the means to buy the other blockers too unless some law prevents it.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
it's no longer unknown, reddit user found it was bought by an online ad company doubleclick, although i have not yet verified by a separate source. Either way I have switched to ublock origin.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
3470 posts
728 upvotes
GTA
divx wrote: it's no longer unknown, reddit user found it was bought by an online ad company doubleclick, although i have not yet verified by a separate source. Either way I have switched to ublock origin.
This is why noscript is the best, sure it's annoying when you initially install it because you have to set settings for every site you visit but it's worth it.
I have to say though doubleclick is the one iIsee on every single site when setting noscript settings. Popular, unpopular sites have them. They are very dirty.
Thanks for letting us know. ABE was very good but that dev also stopped supporting it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2693 upvotes
Vancouver
Personally I use the Ghostery add-on to block ads and trackers in my browsers, and it seems to work pretty well.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
If you already use an adblocker then I don't see the point in addons like ghostery, privacy badger, etc. If you enable or add privacy filters in adblock then it does the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
divx wrote: it's no longer unknown, reddit user found it was bought by an online ad company doubleclick, although i have not yet verified by a separate source. Either way I have switched to ublock origin.
"an online ad company doubleclick" :lol:
DoubleClick is Google.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)