Edmonton, Alta - home of the Oilers
20 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
It works like cash.
The only real catch (if shopping alone-no friend to buy another card) is that you can not buy anything else once the card is empty.
They don't even let you pay the difference if you are simply finishing off the card (ie $3 remaining for a $5.99 item)
You have to hope and pray that you can find something that you actually want for $3.
(at which point they have you, maybe-in hopes that you will put that $3 towards an actual membership.)
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2011
1429 posts
130 upvotes
Edmonton
can someone confirm that non members cannot pay the difference with their own debit card/cash once the cash card is used up, because i heard otherwise
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Medicine1T4 wrote: can someone confirm that non members cannot pay the difference with their own debit card/cash once the cash card is used up, because i heard otherwise
Maybe it's a location discretion. Maybe they do allow finishing up the difference, but they sure won't allow any other items afterward once the card is finished.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
Why not just sign up? Was the cash card a gift? Seems like a strange gift to give someone if they aren't a member.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2011
2351 posts
1122 upvotes
Edmonton
WorldIRC wrote: Why not just sign up? Was the cash card a gift? Seems like a strange gift to give someone if they aren't a member.
The thought that you can just bypass the whole membership process via the gift card backdoor baffles me. It's quintessential RFD in that the whole juggling process is more hassle than it's worth.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6827 posts
1482 upvotes
Manitoba
Also if I remember correctly, as a non-member, you do not get the sale prices. For items on sale you will be charged the full regular price. Don't know if that's still true but I remember reading this some time ago.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Is $55/year going to put you in the poor house?

Get a membership.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
cwb27 wrote: Is $55/year going to put you in the poor house?

Get a membership.
Not even that...
Get an executive and it costs you less than that.
I was paid $100 and change to shop there last year.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
woof wrote: Also if I remember correctly, as a non-member, you do not get the sale prices. For items on sale you will be charged the full regular price. Don't know if that's still true but I remember reading this some time ago.
Some mailed coupon items are restricted to members, and the cashier may enforce it. If the deductions are automatic (most in store coupons), everyone gets it.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Jul 20, 2003
230 posts
13 upvotes
I was told that you don't get sale prices. Plus they now make you "register" at the member desk in order to be allowed in.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: It works like cash.
The only real catch (if shopping alone-no friend to buy another card) is that you can not buy anything else once the card is empty.
They don't even let you pay the difference if you are simply finishing off the card (ie $3 remaining for a $5.99 item)
You have to hope and pray that you can find something that you actually want for $3.

(at which point they have you, maybe-in hopes that you will put that $3 towards an actual membership.)

Wrong, they let me pay the difference in Cash or Debit, not credit - in Scarborough and Markham East anyways.
playnicee1 wrote: Maybe it's a location discretion. Maybe they do allow finishing up the difference, but they sure won't allow any other items afterward once the card is finished.
What does this mean? I have 5$ left in my card, If i buy a 10$ item, and more purchases to go buy, they won't let me buy the rest? They dont scan your card till the end, so not sure how they would enforce that. Though once the card is 0 after the final last tranaction, you cant refill the card
woof wrote: Also if I remember correctly, as a non-member, you do not get the sale prices. For items on sale you will be charged the full regular price. Don't know if that's still true but I remember reading this some time ago.
Still like that, sale prices are for members only.
macdaddy wrote: I was told that you don't get sale prices. Plus they now make you "register" at the member desk in order to be allowed in.

I use the cash card all the time. Scarborough requires me to register, but only take my name and phone number. Not sure what happens with it. My mom gets me the cash cards, and I only visit costco maybe twice a year max.
Deal Guru
Jul 15, 2008
10544 posts
4141 upvotes
Toronto
macdaddy wrote: I was told that you don't get sale prices. Plus they now make you "register" at the member desk in order to be allowed in.
+1 to registering. I think too many people are abusing these, they make you register to keep track of how many cash cards you use or something.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Skadefryd wrote: The thought that you can just bypass the whole membership process via the gift card backdoor baffles me. It's quintessential RFD in that the whole juggling process is more hassle than it's worth.
A few years ago, I went to Costco 2-3 times a years, and used a cash card each time. For people that don't go there often, the cash card makes sense.

As long as the card has a balance, you can use it to initiate a purchase. Once it's empty, you're SOL.
Penalty Box
Oct 17, 2012
2689 posts
124 upvotes
Ottomaddox wrote: A few years ago, I went to Costco 2-3 times a years, and used a cash card each time. For people that don't go there often, the cash card makes sense.

As long as the card has a balance, you can use it to initiate a purchase. Once it's empty, you're SOL.
Once it's empty, you're SOL.?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8976 posts
2827 upvotes
Sorry once it's empty, a member has to fill it though if you have a remaining owing balance at the till you can use cash/debit
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10497 posts
7631 upvotes
ON
TripleTAP wrote: Once it's empty, you're SOL.?
No, just NSF.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
dilligafeh wrote: No, just NSF.
The card is permanently empty once it is empty. You are not allowed to add cash to it unless you are a member. (even then, you may be required to buy a whole new card...?)
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
7000 posts
1122 upvotes
Toronto
Hey OP.

Deleting your thread title and content doesn't do anything once someone has quoted you.....
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
I dislike when OP's try to cover up their silly questions and erase things.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)