Cell Phones

iphone 6 for USA only sold in Canada, hmmmm?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 29th, 2016 4:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener

iphone 6 for USA only sold in Canada, hmmmm?

Hi All,
So a buddy is visiting form the states this weekend. He saw this on Kijiji and asked me if it was legit.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/city- ... 1124996010

I've no idea why/how they are selling these at the stated price. It's significantly lower that what he paid for his. His daughter needs a new phone and their plan is AT&T so this would save him a couple of hundred and he'd be one happy guy.

Would someone kindly explain why they won't work in Canada and comment on the deal.

Thanks in advance for your time and input.
18 replies
Aug 6, 2009
521 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
Very odd - I'm not aware of REGION locked iPhones (Samsung does this with some phones). If it's unlocked and works on USA carriers it SHOULD work on Canadian carriers.

The price certainly seems good - in CAD$ too? Your buddy would save a fortune... which makes the deal even more confusing.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
Toraen wrote: Very odd - I'm not aware of REGION locked iPhones (Samsung does this with some phones). If it's unlocked and works on USA carriers it SHOULD work on Canadian carriers.

The price certainly seems good - in CAD$ too? Your buddy would save a fortune... which makes the deal even more confusing.
My thought as well. Thanks
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Maybe they know is blacklisted?
And they think backlist is for Canada only. But should be for North America.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
Keigotw wrote: Maybe they know is blacklisted?
Interesting, as I understand it, even if I check to make sure it's not blacklisted now, it could be listed later.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Maybe they know is blacklisted?
That would be my guess too. In fact the blacklist is international but it takes time to propagate through all member carriers.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2013
1311 posts
667 upvotes
Toronto, ON
ceredon wrote: That would be my guess too. In fact the blacklist is international but it takes time to propagate through all member carriers.
Blacklist is not international. A Canadian blacklisted phone will 200% work outside of North America
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
Varian wrote: Blacklist is not international. A Canadian blacklisted phone will 200% work outside of North America
Good to know, but the phone will stay in NA, so the blacklisting remains a concern. I've called them and they are supposed to get back to me sometime today according to the service that answered for them. I'll reply when I get more info from them.
Anyone have any questions that I should ask?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
9925 posts
7089 upvotes
Mississauga
sam123 wrote: Interesting, as I understand it, even if I check to make sure it's not blacklisted now, it could be listed later.
That's correct. Seller could claim it was "stolen" after the fact and then your buddy ends up with a very expensive iPod.
Aug 6, 2009
521 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
The picture implies that these are new units - can they be blacklisted out of the box? (Or perhaps, they're not new, and that's just a picture of a box)

edit: Actually it says BRAND NEW IN BOX in the description regardless of the picture
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Varian wrote: Blacklist is not international. A Canadian blacklisted phone will 200% work outside of North America
Umm, the IMEI database, formerly known as the [C]EIR registry is an international database of all IMEIs maintained by the GSM Association and which includes the international IMEI blacklist. A blacklisted IMEI in Canada will eventually propagate through out all member carriers internationally. Whether they choose to enforce it is another matter.

http://www.gsma.com/latinamerica/wp-con ... erview.pdf
The IMEI DB also supports what is known as a “black list”. The black list is a list of IMEIs that
are associated with GSM or 3G devices that should be denied service on GSM or 3G
networks because they have been reported as lost, stolen, faulty or otherwise unsuitable for
use. Previously known as the Central Equipment Identify Register (CEIR), the IMEI DB acts
as a central system for network operators to share their individual black lists so that devices
denied service (blacklisted) by one network will not work on other networks even if the SIM
card in the device is changed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_E ... y_Register
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Toraen wrote: The picture implies that these are new units - can they be blacklisted out of the box? (Or perhaps, they're not new, and that's just a picture of a box)

edit: Actually it says BRAND NEW IN BOX in the description regardless of the picture
If they were stolen from a carrier store, they could easily be blacklisted while new in box. Before we had the Canadian blacklist for consumers, our carriers used it for phones stolen from their stores and warehouses for years.

http://bgr.com/2009/03/06/rogers-to-implement-eir/
Aug 6, 2009
521 posts
79 upvotes
GTA
ceredon wrote: If they were stolen from a carrier store, they could easily be blacklisted while new in box. Before we had the Canadian blacklist for consumers, our carriers used it for phones stolen from their stores and warehouses for years.

http://bgr.com/2009/03/06/rogers-to-implement-eir/
If this happened - I guess there'd also be a risk that the serial numbers would be flagged or reported as stolen?

Does Apple even do that? You go into an Apple store for warranty or support, for example?
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
Toraen wrote: If this happened - I guess there'd also be a risk that the serial numbers would be flagged or reported as stolen?

Does Apple even do that? You go into an Apple store for warranty or support, for example?
Apple could, but they could also just brick the phones remotely.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
So they called me. The phones are brand new replacements (the ones they send out under warranty claims) and have chargers/earbuds etc. that a new phone would have. They are directly form Apple. They are unlocked for all US carriers and can be unlocked for use in Canada if they are first activated in the US with a carrier and then you ask that particular carrier to unlock it. Once unlocked by the carrier, they are good for any sim, as in totally unlocked.
They are brand new, sealed and have a one year warranty. He said to call and make sure they have one available when I want to come. They will hold it for a couple of hours if I call.
I'll leave it up to my buddy as to the decision to buy or not.
Thanks everyone.
Oct 14, 2014
498 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I assume these phones are SPRINT version. It's not easy to unlock.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
RobinHou wrote: I assume these phones are SPRINT version. It's not easy to unlock.
I don't know. They will work on all US carriers. As I previously stated by the seller, they can be unlocked by a US carrier once they are activated.
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10950 posts
3262 upvotes
sam123 wrote: I don't know. They will work on all US carriers. As I previously stated by the seller, they can be unlocked by a US carrier once they are activated.
Likely they are Verizon phones, which because of their agreement with the FCC for the 700Mhz band must be unlocked for other US carriers. That's the only case I have ever heard of where iPhones would be used on any US carrier but not internationally. If that is the case, then AT&T and TMo etc won't be able to unlock them for international, only Verizon. And from what I have heard, getting them to do the unlock can be a bit of a nightmare.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2350 posts
806 upvotes
Kitchener
ceredon wrote: Likely they are Verizon phones, which because of their agreement with the FCC for the 700Mhz band must be unlocked for other US carriers. That's the only case I have ever heard of where iPhones would be used on any US carrier but not internationally. If that is the case, then AT&T and TMo etc won't be able to unlock them for international, only Verizon. And from what I have heard, getting them to do the unlock can be a bit of a nightmare.
Good information. My buddy is on an AT&T plan, so it shouldn't be a problem for him. He doesn't need an unlocked one.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)