• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2016 8:51 am
Tags:
None
Banned
May 17, 2005
4845 posts
661 upvotes
apvm wrote: Price up service down, starting to get fed up but not yet to the point as OP but will start looking at other options.
+1
I will wait a bit ... but not for to long ...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5534 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
wirebound wrote: I've noticed the same with Teksavvy this week ... its been pretty inconsistent. That said, I've been using them for about four years and the connection has been consistently excellent the entire time bar this week. I also haven't had to call every month about a billing error :)
Ironic that they are upping the price amidst all this instability in connectivity. I wonder if Rogers is screwing around with the lines to piss off teksavvy customers so they switch.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2003
1162 posts
196 upvotes
Wiseman wrote: Ironic that they are upping the price amidst all this instability in connectivity. I wonder if Rogers is screwing around with the lines to piss off teksavvy customers so they switch.
I'm thinking the same thing...haha... my teksavvy interest is down from 10 min to 1 hour these weeks from time to time. Very annoying as I'm on VOIP phone line and working from home someday got disconnected from VPN. I thought it's just my area but looks like many affected....

One question though, the teksavvy bill is prepaid for the month right? If I paid bill just now the service is for the following month? So If i cancel it now the interest will be cut off 30 days later.
Deal Addict
May 2, 2010
3949 posts
3570 upvotes
Markham
Gee wrote: I think we are all experiencing down time this week. The longest for me was 30 minutes.
Yes, TekSavvy cable internet has been flickering for the last few days in Markham, too.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
I have been having this intermittent disconnected even the modem looked as if connected. I found the temp solution, keep renewing new IP address via clone MAC address on the Asus router.
Oct 14, 2007
373 posts
47 upvotes
rkjredflag wrote: I listened to the posts on RFD, and signed up with Start Communications. It's only been three or four months, but so far, I am happy with the service I've received, and the price I've paid.
I know a lot of people recommend Start.ca - I was one of them for a while - then I started having problems.

My case is well documented on dslreports.org. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r302913 ... -the-issue

I was with them for over a year before I started having issues. Their customer service is great and they always follow-up. I have received many referral bonuses (when I was with them) for recommending them.

Unfortunately, having to go through Start to get Roger's to troubleshoot was a big pain. At the end of the day for a minor incremental price increase I was able to switch from the 30 Mbps down to 250 Mbps (for something like $8 more/month). Both start and the Rogers plan were unlimited (add-on for Start).

At one point, I was running Start.ca and Rogers side by side and noticed the slow down only on Start - whether this was sabotage by Rogers or something truly technical going on, I will never know.

I ended up canceling Start and have been with Rogers (only internet service) since Oct 2015 without issues. The speedboat is fantastic and they gave me Shomi (nice gesture) and NHL Gamecentre (biggest advantage) for free. A lot of people bash Rogers but to be honest, I've never had an issue with them (I was also previously a Rogers customer before I left for start but wanted to try out Start to see what everyone was talking about).

Disclosure - I am in no way related to Rogers; I have no friends or family that work for Rogers.

I just feel like people need to know about the "other side" as there are people who go in the opposite direction (back to Rogers).
Jul 29, 2013
300 posts
185 upvotes
Toronto
+Start.ca

I know others have already posted but I'm tired of seeing posts about Teksaavy when start.ca is a clear alternative. I've been with them for about 2 years now and have 0 issues. I didn't experience any network issues and if I do I know that someone will talk to you in a courteous and helpful manner.

Teksaavy was supposed to be our savior from Rogers and Bell but they decided to put profits before customer service and reliability.
Feb 6, 2013
106 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto
I'm done with Tekksavvy too. Too much down time for so much $$.

Any suggestion for Unlimited usage with up to 50 download speed? would appreciate ISP other than Robbers/Tek.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13376 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
Left start 4 years agp when they started to go mainstream and go downhill.

Been with start.CA since and haven't looked back. Great service from them.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
I've been mostly happy with TSI and I can live with the occasional outage, but the recent pricing structure and requirements to upgrade are really rubbing me the wrong way and pushing me to switch.
I'm currently paying $61.95 for 45/4 which seems reasonable enough until you realize 100/10 is $69.95. $8 difference for more than double the bandwidth! Why the hell is 45/4 so expensive? The relative cost saving between 45 and 100 is just dumb.

So why don't I just upgrade to 100/10? I would but then I'll be forced to buy a new overpriced $200 modem despite my current DOCSIS 3 modem being perfectly capable of well over 100MBPS while the new Cisco modem they're forcing down people throats is notorious for having issues. My buddy had a new TSI install earlier last year and still has issues with that Cisco modem.

60/10 for $65 from start.ca is looking like a really good alternative right now, especially if I can keep my current modem.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA
ReeGee wrote: So why don't I just upgrade to 100/10? I would but then I'll be forced to buy a new overpriced $200 modem despite my current DOCSIS 3 modem being perfectly capable of well over 100MBPS while the new Cisco modem they're forcing down people throats is notorious for having issues. My buddy had a new TSI install earlier last year and still has issues with that Cisco modem.
Rogers is deciding which modems TekSavvy can use on their network.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
tk1000 wrote: Rogers is deciding which modems TekSavvy can use on their network.
I can understand that and I don't hold that against TSI, but if that's the case, why aren't they offering me competitive packages that work with my modem? Based on the price 100/10 or 60/10 from start.ca, the pricing of my 45/4 package seems like a rip off and TSI has absolutely no options in between.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5701 posts
3662 upvotes
GTA
ReeGee wrote: I can understand that and I don't hold that against TSI, but if that's the case, why aren't they offering me competitive packages that work with my modem? Based on the price 100/10 or 60/10 from start.ca, the pricing of my 45/4 package seems like a rip off and TSI has absolutely no options in between.
You don't have to buy the Cisco. They offer the Hitron CDA3 for $120. Start has it for $110. It doesn't have wifi capabilities though. It's strictly a cable modem and AFAIK, the Cisco modem issues are mostly with the wifi functionalities anyway.

As for the 45/5 service, it's a legacy profile now which isn't being offered anymore. The pricing structure is set to get people off of it and onto newer modems just like Rogers wants for the "betterment of the entire network". They don't offer competitive packages for the old modem because the entire system is priced to entice you to move off the old plans and onto new ones. That's the whole point.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Dave98 wrote: You don't have to buy the Cisco. They offer the Hitron CDA3 for $120. Start has it for $110. It doesn't have wifi capabilities though. It's strictly a cable modem and AFAIK, the Cisco modem issues are mostly with the wifi functionalities anyway.

As for the 45/5 service, it's a legacy profile now which isn't being offered anymore. The pricing structure is set to get people off of it and onto newer modems just like Rogers wants for the "betterment of the entire network". They don't offer competitive packages for the old modem because the entire system is priced to entice you to move off the old plans and onto new ones. That's the whole point.
Thanks for the explanation and I understand, but that's honestly not an appealing reason for me to drop $120 on a new modem when start.ca is offering 60/10 for $4 more and I can keep my current modem.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
ReeGee wrote: I've been mostly happy with TSI and I can live with the occasional outage, but the recent pricing structure and requirements to upgrade are really rubbing me the wrong way and pushing me to switch.
I'm currently paying $61.95 for 45/4 which seems reasonable enough until you realize 100/10 is $69.95. $8 difference for more than double the bandwidth! Why the hell is 45/4 so expensive? The relative cost saving between 45 and 100 is just dumb.

So why don't I just upgrade to 100/10? I would but then I'll be forced to buy a new overpriced $200 modem despite my current DOCSIS 3 modem being perfectly capable of well over 100MBPS while the new Cisco modem they're forcing down people throats is notorious for having issues. My buddy had a new TSI install earlier last year and still has issues with that Cisco modem.

60/10 for $65 from start.ca is looking like a really good alternative right now, especially if I can keep my current modem.
ReeGee, get on Start.ca.

I haven't looked back. Seriously, when have I ever led you astray?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9850 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote: ReeGee, get on Start.ca.

I haven't looked back. Seriously, when have I ever led you astray?
It's honestly looking like my only option for better internet unless I wanna drop cash on a new modem.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
3083 posts
1445 upvotes
GTA
Unless I'm missing something, start.ca has their 25/10 DSL package with 300gb bandwidth for $50, whereas Teksavvy's 25/10 DSL package has 400gb bandwidth for $48.99.
Feb 26, 2011
80 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
check out worldline, I'm paying $54.95 for 30mbps down and 5mbps up with unlimited data
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
2565 posts
1642 upvotes
GTA
Wiseman wrote: Ironic that they are upping the price amidst all this instability in connectivity. I wonder if Rogers is screwing around with the lines to piss off teksavvy customers so they switch.
Yes they are, its been documented and widely speculated. For sure they (RoBBers) are doing this to force people back to RoBBERs services from the other indy ISPs. Not to mention, RoBBers screwing with the connection, not following up on customer ticket requests from vendors or just taking their sweet arse time about it, and then inflating the CBB costs astronomically so the little guys can barely make any lower price adjustments to try and compete then with RoBBers. They are doing this on purpose so people get fed up and leave. It seems to me amazing how RoBBers can only offer UNLIMITED on their highest tier packages, but say for majority that 60/10 connection would suffice and you wouldn't need a high-end modem, they CAP you at 200GB/month on the up and down. That's total B/S on RoBBers part these days with internet caps, they should be unlimited no matter what the package. The lowest tier 5/1 is capped at 25GB? That is the lowest of low you can possibly do.

In 2001 RoBBers was 3/256k UNLIMITED for $39.95 incl' modem in most urban areas that were offered that service. Now their 5/1 tier is only 25GB for $32.99? Why cap it so low? Why not give 100 or 200GB? Same thing with the 30/5 package. Suitable for most people but capped at 125GB for $65.99/month + tax .... now thats a joke, BELL does the same thing and its disgusting.

drdtyc wrote: Yes, TekSavvy cable internet has been flickering for the last few days in Markham, too.
It's an ongoing issue, documented that people on RoBBers and some on Shaw have been experiencing this in some areas as well. It's not just limited to the Teksavvy POI's ... its the RoBBers ones are well, and since RoBBers only has access to the POI's, god only knows what they do to 3rd party POI's when they go service their own hardware. They could be spitting and kicking the junipers for all we know.
Clocksmith25 wrote: +Start.ca

I know others have already posted but I'm tired of seeing posts about Teksaavy when start.ca is a clear alternative. I've been with them for about 2 years now and have 0 issues. I didn't experience any network issues and if I do I know that someone will talk to you in a courteous and helpful manner.

Teksaavy was supposed to be our savior from Rogers and Bell but they decided to put profits before customer service and reliability.
They (Teksavvy) did not put their profits together actually, its RoBBers being a-holes and doing this to INDY ISP's on purpose. Teksavvy's DSL is more stable and reliable then their cable services. Usually the problems that relate to DSL are line stability issues and distance from the remote and in-home wiring. If you factor those out because we all know that DSL works over distance and older houses have older lines and NID's ... so you have to take that into account. Most people with a clean phone line get good and reliable and constant service. I am lucky to live in an area where all my telco wires are underground and the area was built in the late 70's - early 80's so the copper is still fairly consistent and reliable. Most people in my area can get 50/10 packages with FIBE TV, and those further away from the remotes max out at 25/10 if they get FIBE TV, again because of distance issues and the fact that FIBE shares the line with the internet which maxes out your connection.

Its usually only the RoBBers customers of Teksavvy that suffer. Users on Teksavvy that are on Bell, Telus, Shaw & Cogeco experience the least amount of issues. Majority of the complaints stem from RoBBers based services and networks, and again, they are doing it on purpose.

I'm not targeting you, but I'm tired of seeing posts from people bashing Teksavvy when other 3rd party providers suffer from similar issues such as Acanac and Vmedia. Start.ca is a relatively new company and I will laugh in the face of those when congestion does finally hit them in the arse. It is bound to happen, you'll see soon enough, just give it time. Don't be surprised if their prices increase as well also. Tek had an increase so I expect to see the other 3rd party raise their prices as well because the incumbents raised the costs on the little guys and they take the brunt of the force.
ReeGee wrote: I've been mostly happy with TSI and I can live with the occasional outage, but the recent pricing structure and requirements to upgrade are really rubbing me the wrong way and pushing me to switch.

Well in order to find out about your modem you will have to compare it to the list of approved modems for Start.ca. If you want to get a higher tier like 100/10 then nope, you won't be able to keep your current modem unfortunately. For all of you BLAMING TEKSAVVY about changing modems if you want the upgrade the tier stop blaming the messenger and blame the incumbent - ROBBERS. They are the ones that implement the new speed package changes and force ridiculous prices on their old GRANDFATHERED PLANS to lure people over to newer tiers and then force those higher costs on INDY ISPs to force them to use newer modems in order to piss people off. That is why your 45/4 plan goes up because they know it was a good plan and a good deal, and want to bump people off it, thats why they are rising the costs.

Don't know how many people are pissed that had the 25/2 or 35/3 or 45/4 that got screwed over by RoBBers for this. When their modems are more then capable of maintaining those speeds and giving a decent connection with unlimited downloads. It's RoBBers being the a-hole again, not TEKSAVVY.

So what does this mean? Yea the modem you have right now might and should work for 100/10 without a hitch, but Rogers (RoBBers) won't provision that modem on their network, (for Start.ca or Teksavvy or Acanac or Vmedia) forcing you to get mad at Teksavvy like its their fault. Same thing with Start.ca. Try and provision that modem for 100/10 and they will tell you - keep dreaming, why? Because Rogers said so. Bell is not as bad in doing this, only Rogers. Back in the ADSL2+ days you could basically use any modem on BELL. Only recently with the VDSL2 service (15/10, 25/10, 50/10) you are forced to use 1 of 2 provided VDSL2 modems. SmartRG being of course the clear winner because even BELL had problems with the Sagemcom modems for their own customers so they switched. So again, please don't blame TS. It applies to all indy ISPS.

Look at the list of compatible modems for Start.ca
https://www.start.ca/services/highspeed/modems

Cisco DPC3848
Hitron CDA3 (4.5.0.14)

Unless you own those 2 modems I posted above, you are not compatible with 100/10 service on Start.ca :)

I wish people would get more information before bashing Teksavvy and HOLY-GRAILING Start.ca .... because sooner or later their network will congest just as well, and the prices will go up, only time will tell. One user already posted about issues with Start.ca and he is not the only one. Depending on area you live in and POI's and capacity available you will experience some type of congestion.

Oh and not to mention that Start.ca are the only INDY ISP that doesn't offer unlimited on their 100/10 plan. You are capped at 500GB a month :) Useless :)

At least with Teksavvy's 150GB or 400GB plan only downloads are counted towards your cap (uploads are not) so if you backup daily to cloud 5GB you are safe from never it counting towards your limit. Oh and downloads are still free from 2am-8am so if you program your computer to do heavy downloading at those times you will never go over your cap.

There are TS users banging in 500GB a month in downloads on a 15/10 @ 150GB plan by knowing how to prioritize their downloads. And it works for them while TS eats up the costs. Still a fair trade off if you ask me.
tk1000 wrote: Rogers is deciding which modems TekSavvy can use on their network.
thank you for explaining this. many people think its TekSavvy's fault. When its not. Its all RoBBers that has to blame.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)