Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

40% off your next order (Ontario Only)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 17th, 2016 1:45 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
f3times wrote: people are freakin lazy bums
I tried it myself. The advantage is that you get to cook something that is different than the "usual" household ingredients (at least for me, it was anyways). The recipes are accurate and surprisingly tasty too. It is good when yourself + spouse works longer hours and don't have time to research different type of food to put on the table.

However, the portions are a small and packaging is wasteful. The recipe preparation time is for someone who's made the dish before and therefore not accurate.

After trying it once, you can just re-use the recipe and get everything from the supermarket yourself at a fraction of the cost/packaging waste.

IMO, they are selling a take-home cooking class. I would still consider ordering from them again when we get bored of the food we make at home.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
Aside from the price being high without the discount I haven't really heard any negative reviews about their food itself which makes this business a fast pace growing business model.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
mic2074 wrote: I got my order... with the discount it's worth a try... but this is such a bad business model. It's just personal grocery shopping or modified grocery gateway, groceries delivered to your door, and they think of what you should cook. And it leaves such a huge carbon footprint - all the packaging for small amount of grocery and delivery.
Hmmm... I think the biggest value is they think of what you should cook. Honestly, I don't think I'd pay to get groceries delivered but I'll pay if someone can provide suggestions put them together to make a dish. I agree with the wastefulness though -- they put one clove of garlic in it's own tiny ziplock bag :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2008
1615 posts
687 upvotes
Toronto
Did anyone else think the portion sizes were small? Tell me i am not a pig.
Zoomer for phone + Carrytel for internet + Tangerine bank account + Stack debit card + Great Canadian rebates, ebates, drop and paymi for rebates.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
3161 posts
3308 upvotes
archvenus14 wrote: Did anyone else think the portion sizes were small? Tell me i am not a pig.
The portions are small, but will be a bit more filling if you use all the butter/cream/mayo they provide with the meals.

I usually prepare extra portion of vegetables in addition to the delivered portion.
Jan 3, 2011
392 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
The wife cooked the flat iron steak with polenta and collard greens and it was really good! The portion size is actually not that bad. Probably going to refer her to get 2 more meals for next week!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
If you don't live in the GTA, does Chef's Plate use FedEx/UPS overnight or something to ship your order?
Sep 17, 2007
357 posts
270 upvotes
Wasaga Beach
BushCaddy wrote: Tried Chef's Plate a couple of weeks ago, with the free $44 worth of food. ($6 for shipping)

At this price it's a no brainer, and as others have mentioned, you can start and pause at anytime.

Having said that, I won't be using them again. The food was actually very tasty, except that my chicken arrived "off". I realize this sort of thing can happen, but I emailed the company to let them know, and I have received ZERO response. Not impressed with their customer service.
Just a follow up to my above post. Just logged into my Chef's Plate account and noticed an extra 2 free meals to compensate for the problems I had. Good to see that they guarantee their food. Will give them another shot.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
4451 posts
2016 upvotes
Scarborough
BobSagget wrote: If you don't live in the GTA, does Chef's Plate use FedEx/UPS overnight or something to ship your order?
They use their own personal drivers, they don't use 3rd party companies. The box comes insulated with gel packs but they are packed in such a way they need need to be upright. If they used Fedex the box might comes mangled and that is just a nightmare.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
royroces wrote: The wife cooked the flat iron steak with polenta and collard greens and it was really good! The portion size is actually not that bad. Probably going to refer her to get 2 more meals for next week!
I got the 4 free meals thanks to another RFD'er and one of them was the flat iron steak. I didn't care much for it. Quality ingredients, just wasn't my kind of thing I guess. The portion size was good though. I would never pay for this service, at least not full price. I may refer some friends and get a few more free meals, but then I'm going to cancel. Most of the meals I've seen just aren't all that appealing to me. I guess my tastes are much more basic.
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
...I'm set up for a Tuesday delivery of the Maple/Mustard Pork Chop and Tilipia Piccata meals for next week (on the $6 meal plan).

I try and eat a mostly gluten/grain/potato-free, so this has been one of this first weeks that I've been able to order something (two meals) and not end up with a side dish that's going to be wasted.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2007
1425 posts
1326 upvotes
OrangeBerry wrote: They use their own personal drivers, they don't use 3rd party companies. The box comes insulated with gel packs but they are packed in such a way they need need to be upright. If they used Fedex the box might comes mangled and that is just a nightmare.
Incorrect. My order came via FedEx Ground.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2009
2689 posts
2708 upvotes
Ottawa
eugeneo wrote: Incorrect. My order came via FedEx Ground.
+1 London Ontario delivered via FedEx in their fancy little insulated box
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Fed-Ex delivered mine as well
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2016
2297 posts
2777 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Thanks op! Never heard of Chefs Plate until reading your post. Didn't want to p off the mods so I googled a referral code and now have the 4 free meals on my account. @ $3 for a fresh meal , hopefully we'll be licking our plates clean lol

Didn't like this weeks menu, so pass this week for us.

Also read on the site that the products stay fresh in fridge for a few days. One can potentially order on delivery day and cook at another time that is more suitable to ones needs.

Thanks again!
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43245 upvotes
ONTARIO
eugeneo wrote: Incorrect. My order came via FedEx Ground.
chriscabob wrote: +1 London Ontario delivered via FedEx in their fancy little insulated box
Shaner wrote: Fed-Ex delivered mine as well
Thanks, I figured as much.

If you're in the GTA, sure I could see them personally delivering. But no way they would be able to service all of Ontario and personally deliver the orders themselves. They aren't THAT big, heh.

Guess my first order will be coming via FedEx next week!
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2558 posts
823 upvotes
jarko wrote: Whats the point of this? I can go to a supermarket 5 min away from my house and buy ingredients and make food, just like it's been happening for thousands of years. While this only skips the shopping part with a premium cost. Still have too cook.
Good point. I'm just wondering if the food they provide is better (ie: healthier, organic, etc..) compared to what's on the supermarket shelves ?
Aug 3, 2014
275 posts
437 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
has anyone tried using the referral twice to the same address?
Jan 3, 2011
392 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
aysiphu wrote: has anyone tried using the referral twice to the same address?
Yep. Referred the wife and even used the same cc. Just different email and name
Oct 17, 2011
457 posts
610 upvotes
Toronto
aysiphu wrote: has anyone tried using the referral twice to the same address?
Referred my wife as well. Used a different CC just in case though.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)