Computers & Electronics

If you were to build a new rig, would you add in a DVD burner?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 22nd, 2016 8:20 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
Gee wrote: He is booting from a ROM on his network card and then installing images over Ethernet

No discs, no USB keys. He installs from a NAS
what's PXE? why not just use usb? booting from network seems a pain
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2015
1828 posts
574 upvotes
lol my case doesn't even have drive bays..

define s ftw.

external if needed.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
divx wrote: what's PXE? why not just use usb? booting from network seems a pain
PXE is faster, doesn't require USB keys, is more flexible in some cases (although Windows is a pain).
USB is also good because it's portable, can do Windows easily, especially if you have something like:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/

PXE does take work to set up but in the end it's worth it.
I have a PXE stack at every single site I manage. Sometimes the machine is virtual so USB isn't really an option.
I really should publish my PXE stack so it's publicly clonable.
Deal Expert
Jun 27, 2004
15215 posts
4404 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
killoverme wrote: I have a 'external' drive as well. I use an adapter for my internal (either my sata or my IDE drives) to USB.
Gee wrote: Yes it works, I have several of these adapters. You just need to make sure an external power supply is used
willilumplump wrote: My experience it that it shows up but you can't boot from it - the drivers are not in the BIOS/UEFI. If the device identifies as a USB drive, it may boot, but if it identifies as a CD/DVD it won't. YMMV.
If you're going to go this method, do it via eSATA. If you don't have eSATA, get an SATA to eSATA cable/bracket. Some of these brackets have a molex connector, as well. This would bypass any USB booting issue you might have had.

bowmah wrote: I think For booting I will try and amount into a USB key. There has got to be a way to get Macrium recovery ISO to boot on USB key?
I've found https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to be the simplest, although never tried a Macrium recovery ISO.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2006
3686 posts
1007 upvotes
rabbit wrote: I've found https://rufus.akeo.ie/ to be the simplest, although never tried a Macrium recovery ISO.
Thanks, I did have to use Rufus recently to make a DOS bootable USB Key to roll back to an older BIOS firmware. Worked like a charm.

Just tested Macrium recovery ISO and if you plug in a USB key at the time of recovery media creation, it actually has an option to generate a bootable USB option. Never noticed it before as the USB key was not plugged in! Even copied all content out of the once created, re-formatted the USB key with FAT32, then just copied and pasted content back on the key and it still booted up Windows PE. This worked well as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
2526 posts
1241 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
e-man wrote: If you were to build a new system today, would you add in a DVD burner? The main reason I use it is to install Windows (when I need to). If you don't have one, what are you using to install Windows? USB drive?
No. I use an external blu-ray drive. READ ONLY. My computer has a DVD Burner, and I've used it 3 or 4 times in the last 2 years. There are a few of my son's homework assignments my wife insisted we should burn on DVD. I don't think he ever used the DVD's, just he USB sticks. And there are a few videos I burnt on DVD to lend to my brother, as I didn't have a USB handy. But the last stack of 50 DVD's I purchased in 2009 still has about 30 blank DVD's left...

It is useful to be able to read optical media, but writing it not so much.

What I do use regularly is my USB external blu-ray reader. If I were building a new PC today, I would probably add an internal one instead.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12013 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
death_hawk wrote: PXE is faster, doesn't require USB keys, is more flexible in some cases (although Windows is a pain).
USB is also good because it's portable, can do Windows easily, especially if you have something like:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multi ... b-creator/

PXE does take work to set up but in the end it's worth it.
I have a PXE stack at every single site I manage. Sometimes the machine is virtual so USB isn't really an option.
I really should publish my PXE stack so it's publicly clonable.
The setup is a pain, but worth the effort

I use pfSense (DHCP) and NAS4Free (TFTP) and it works great

I can post my Syslinux config if anyone is interested

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)