• Jul 26th, 2016 7:17 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
349 upvotes

city vs country used cars?

Does it make sense to avoid buying used cars from city dwellers? Rural people will use the highways more?
23 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
33237 posts
21168 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a myth to me.

Lot more stone chips too ... Add to the myth
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2907 posts
2135 upvotes
Calgary
the latter might come with really shitty radio presets. So yeah maybe (J/k)

Honestly, all it matters is that car is maintained and thats all you should care about.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
I'd imagine the selection would be less out in rural areas.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
rural area may have more rich folks using said car for their weekend cruiser

for something like a honda civic though who cares
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
I've seen a few cars from out in the country being sold much cheaper, with much lower KM's.

Pretty much steals of a deal and scooped up pretty quickly.
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
349 upvotes
Strange thing is that there is a dealer way out in the country and his prices for used trucks is crazy high. I thought dealers go wsy out of town fir cheap real estate and offer cheap prices.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
964 upvotes
Country folk are more simple minded and drive very slow and careful. So better to get a used rural car.

Plus rural people are all in their 70s and 80s (everyone) and don't drive much so car will have lower km and all dealer service records.
Originally Posted by uruha:
I saw a customer returning a book at Costco + telling the employee that the book was good.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
26998 posts
4337 upvotes
One owner only lightly driven on Sunday mornings
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
Country folks actually put more mileage on their vehicles, having to drive into town more regularly.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5909 posts
2223 upvotes
Space
Every rural car deal I've bought has been amazing. Far better value and the cars are almost always well maintained. I figure these people live far from anything, so they do all the maintainance to prevent break downs. Just a theory though. Like mentioned though, inspect whatever vehicle you buy. An inspection can save you big money, especially if you can't do your own wrenching.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
A car can be pampered or abused by owners in either the country or the city.
The vehicle needs to be inspected no matter where you get it from.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
vkizzle wrote: Country folks actually put more mileage on their vehicles, having to drive into town more regularly.
Yes, the distance travelled to get to places is greater, but the type of driving differs greatly. In rural areas you're mostly driving highway like speeds, consistently, not stop and go traffic as you'd see in the city. Additionally, those living in the city often have daily errands, more running around, more taking the kids to various activities, driving them to and from school, etc. Compare that to rural living, where you tend to enjoy the simpler things, doing more at home with what you have given the distance and/or expense of city activities. So one living in a rural area may not actually do nearly as much driving around on a daily basis as compared to one living in the city.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4235 posts
880 upvotes
Ottawa
I recently bought two older vehicles, one was driven less than 5000km a year, the other less than 13,000 a year. Both were "city dwellers"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5853 posts
1695 upvotes
as a city dweller all 3 of our cars get less than 5000 km a year each.
my friends who live far away do that every 2 months.
city cars are often parked underground for most of their lives. see what 20 years of being outside does to a car.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30056 upvotes
Center of Universe
milolai wrote: as a city dweller all 3 of our cars get less than 5000 km a year each.
city cars are often parked underground for most of their lives. see what 20 years of being outside does to a car.
Are you that ignorant?
Houses in the country have garages to park their vehicles inside also!
Penalty Box
Jul 14, 2014
1365 posts
349 upvotes
In other words, a high mileage country car could be less depreciated than a ow mileage city car.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2007
1005 posts
191 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
milolai wrote: as a city dweller all 3 of our cars get less than 5000 km a year each.
Are we talking "City" ie: downtown big city, or "City" ie: suburbanite?

The question may not be so much how much milage is on the vehicle, but rather what kind of mileage. Stop and Go, short distance driving that is common in large cities/suburban areas, or consistent highway like speeds and longer distance driving as is common in rural areas?
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Rural car - higher chance of hitting a deer/cow/aliens. More manure particles in the air filter and ducts.

City car - higher chance of having hitting a cyclist, door dings. More fast food crumbs, spilled coffee on/under seats.

Take your pick.
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2014
5217 posts
7141 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Indoor temperature-controlled garages are often worse than parking outside for winter when your car is covered in salt.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)