Shopping Discussion

Locked: [SCAM] BE WARN of Just Energy, Energy Savings, Elecricity and Gas Retailer !!!!

Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1816 posts
302 upvotes
Pluto
Just Energy has come to my door 3 times in the past 7 days.. the last guy I said to not even bother talking and to just leave. He said something sarcastic and walked off.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
sonic wrote: i have this on my front door & it actually deters them from knocking.

http://www.print2logistics.co.uk/index. ... icle_id=15
Yeah, I've seen signs like that, but I shouldn't have to have a giant neon sign on the front of my house to keep these guys from knocking. The existing "No Solicitors, Agents or Peddlers" should be more than adequate. Honestly, I'm just waiting for the next ***** to come knocking, I'm going straight to the pic/police next time.
My nick doesn't mean I'm happy any more than yours means you're a sex machine.
Dec 22, 2012
233 posts
22 upvotes
Just bumping because these guys are out and about again, so hide yo kids, hide yo wife
Jul 13, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
This is the first time I am posting a comment online - I usually read but have never posted. However, this time around, I know I will feel very rotten if I don't contribute my piece to others so I signed up as a member today and here goes...
So, I agree that 39.99/moth unlimited hydro is an amazing deal – afterall, who wouldn’t enjoy the luxury of using the a/c throughout the summer without having to engage in strenuous mental calculations :) . However, I opted for a month waiting period for installation of the smart meter despite the agent's persistence to get it done right away because it’s “cool”, can be programmed from my cell phone with an app and will save me soooooo much money. I still gave them a date a month away so that I can have enough time to do some extra research and convince myself that this is ACTUALLY a good deal.
While going through the contract, I noticed that Part B indicates that Just Energy will be charging an extra fee dubbed "Forecast of Global Adjustment" (referred to as FGA in the rest of this post) which is based on your monthly usage!!! Now, if this is included in the calculation (which the reps will never do either b'cos they have not been adequately trained OR they intentionally choose to ignore) your calculations show that you end up paying HIGHER than what you are currently spending with the ‘devil that you know’.
I was flabbergasted to say the least, asked the rep for an explanation and he tells me that it is money that goes to the government – really?????? So, I asked him why would I want to sign up with you if the government is going to charge me fees which will result in me paying a higher monthly bill? Response was the FGA does not show up on my current bill bcos the gov’t hasn’t started charging it yet, so Just Energy will not be charging it until the gov’t rolls it out and then everybody will be charging it…...
Long story short, I contacted Just Energy (via email – do all your communication in writing, avoid phone) and this is the response I received -
Re your inquiry about Global adjustment: Every consumer in Ontario pays for this charge, It is included in utility pricing, Once consumer decides to go with energy retailer then this charge appears as a separate line item on the bill.
SUMMARY: the 39.99 fixed pricing that is innocently OR otherwise advertised by the reps is inaccurately represented because Just Energy subtracts the FGA from the usage fee per kWh which obviously results in a lower fee and then they turn around, add it up and you get surprised and confused for the next 5 years of your contract. The contract clearly states that “you will have to pay the FGA every month…..and that the actual amount may vary - which in my language means the sky is the limit, ding ding ding! So, make sure u read the fine lines and don't make a decision based on only the big bold 39.99 advertised fee.
Maybe, for some people based on the household usage, after doing the calculations, this may be a better deal for them. But for me, after doing the calcuations for 3 bills, I realized this is absolutely not for me. Hope this post helps someone out there…..at least, I’ll have done my community outreach for the year (check – will update my pastor) and if I am lucky, get a gift from Santa in Christmas :)
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
kotoula wrote: I just signed up for this, I fail to see what the scam is. Im paying the same rates that easy max was charging me and I'm getting all my electricity from green solar/wind power. It's not costing me anteing more per month, and if the rate goes down, I'll pay the lower rate. The rates they gave me were max caps, electric was 8.6 cents per KWH and 5.9 per GJ. Those are the same rates I paid thru easy max last year, so I don't really get what the 'scam' is? I'm in Calgary.
Well I just about got sucked in. I canceled on the second day after I signed up, and despite the CSR saying it was cancelled, the buggers DIDN'T CANCEL it so a few days later I get a 'welcome to just energy' email. I was outrated and phoned again to cancel, and also called Enmax. I filed a complaint here: ConsumerInvestigationsNorth@gov.ab.ca I finally got their crap cancelled, but now they want me to pay for a few hours of their 'service' for $25. I'm disputing that as well. Let Better Business Bureau also know about their unethical practises. What a bunch of jerks. I just heard on the news this morning that their stock is plummeting lol. What goes around, comes around.
Nov 27, 2004
279 posts
100 upvotes
Calgary, AB
These guys just rolled through our neighbourhood in Calgary last week, glad I found this thread. Luckily the rep wasn't pushy and I didn't sign anything but I did end up showing them my bill. They are totally misrepresenting themselves, they said they were the providers/suppliers for energy companies and wanted to make sure I was getting some sort of "administration rebate" and that I had been "missed" after seeing my bill and said to go visit their website.

Their BBB rating is F (http://www.bbb.org/kitchener/business-r ... a-on-17632).

They are listed on this government of alberta website (http://www.ucahelps.alberta.ca/just-ene ... itive.aspx), so they are a real company and not a scam in that sense but still they way they do sales is very shady. And they are not "suppliers" just another retailer.

Caveat emptor!
Nov 25, 2013
4 posts
Calgary, AB
Well, you folks were right. About three months ago I had my second visit from these guys. In both cases they were very aggressive and it was all I could do to get them off my property. I put in a complaint to the BBB which they forwarded to Just Energy. About three weeks later I got a response back from Just Energy that they were sorry and that my name and address had been taken off their sales listings. How wonderful!!! Well, not so wonderful. At 8:00 pm here in Calgary I answered the door and it was a representative from Just Energy!!! Surprise!!! I let her finish the Hi, I'm from Just Energy, and I said not interested and closed the door. I think she may have waited at the door to see if I would open it again. When I didn't she left. So much for assurances from Just Energy!!!
Feb 5, 2009
664 posts
150 upvotes
Yup, they're making their rounds in Alberta. Had a guy show up at my door asking to look at my electricity and gas bill to confirm that I was getting the rate. I was suspicious and didn't show him. Then he mentions that they'll have lower rates. He begins to fill out the form and I said I wasn't signing anything today and to leave the info and contact so I can look it over. Continues to try and fill it out and I turn him down again. Finally he says I can't help you.

These guys are dirt and shady as hell.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3531 posts
642 upvotes
Corktown
gizmo8 wrote: There must be a good energy supplier in Ontario.We must sign with some one so whats the best options?..
Why do you think you have to sign with someone?

You are likely in an area that is serviced by Enbridge or Union Gas. Go direct and do not involve a 3rd party.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2003
2808 posts
83 upvotes
Calgary
they got $3100 out of me.

They show up at my house, I was at work, father shows them the bill, they jot all the crap down and then put some random year of birth and signature and boom! its an official contract. The contract has the correct house address, yet they mailed the invoices to a different address. 1 year or so passes by ( which is how this $3100 accumulated), and I get a collections letter...funny how the collections letter shows up at the correct address but not the bills.

I tried to fight it, but of course the westernized greed system was of no help, no one was willing to help clear the item off my name. It damaged my credit and because of it I had issues buying a car or a house, one of my credit cards was shut down, 1 or 2 others decreased the limit on my cards etc. I wish I could take this to court and get a million dollars for all the hassle and insult I have had to go through when its not even my fault.

Ultimately, when we did refinance our house, I had to agree to pay it off. So thats what I did...This is such a terrible province, never experienced nor heard of this kind of scam in Vancouver, Toronto, or Montreal in all my life. Next time I see any of these greedy bastards at my door, I will yell at the top of my lungs to harass them. I don't care if they can't get another job, if they will stoop so low then they can live with the harassment.
RIG SPECS: ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO X570 - Ryzen 9 5900x @ 5GHz - XPG 32GB @ 3200MHz - MSI RTX 4090 - EVGA SUPERNOVA 1000W G2 PSU - AORUS Gen 4 M.2 1TB SSD
HEATWARE
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3456 posts
3341 upvotes
Just want to chime in here. I used to be a youth worker with the Children's Aid Society. Many of my clients got jobs with these companies.

A good portion of my clients were kids that spent a great deal of time in and out of jail, sometimes for major offenses. These are not the types of people you want to annoy.

All I'm trying to say is I would just politely say no thank you, shut your door, and walk away. Many of these people are the types who if they feel 'disrespected', they may come back later to damage your property or worse, harm you.
Aug 22, 2003
105 posts
7 upvotes
These guys are scum, I had my elderly neighbour ring the doorbell with the guy and he had a contract all filled out just needing her to sign. The JE guy had her all flustered so I'm so glad she came to me. When I told him neither of us were interested he got right abusive, he probably thought he had a commission in the bag.
Jul 6, 2010
5 posts
1 upvote
So sick of these guys. Between the water heater rental scammers who say they're "just here to do a routine inspection" to the Just Energy scammers who say they're "not trying to sell anything," I'm out of patience. The Just Energy folks just knocked on my door and said, "I'm not selling anything. I just need to check your bill to make sure you're getting the benefit of the flex time plan." I said, "No thanks." They said, "No, no... I'm not selling anything. I just need to look at your bill." I said, "No thanks." Do they rehearse that astonished, "are you crazy?" look as though they can't fathom why anyone in their right mind wouldn't open the door to a stranger and fork over their hydro bill and/or sign up for a new supplier on the spot? Some of them put on a sad face and claim they'll "get in trouble with the boss" if they don't get a look at your energy bill. Not only do they attempt to scam you, they treat you like you're stupid in the process. I can't believe people actually fall for this and deal with door-to-door cold callers.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
tim-x wrote: Just want to chime in here. I used to be a youth worker with the Children's Aid Society. Many of my clients got jobs with these companies.

A good portion of my clients were kids that spent a great deal of time in and out of jail, sometimes for major offenses. These are not the types of people you want to annoy.

All I'm trying to say is I would just politely say no thank you, shut your door, and walk away. Many of these people are the types who if they feel 'disrespected', they may come back later to damage your property or worse, harm you.
That's a gigantic load of *****. Not what you're saying, I believe you, but that anyone should be scared to treat these guys like the assholes they are. All the more reason to do exactly what I did, take their picture and call the police. Anything that happens to my house, they'll be the very first people I go to, and the company's going to be liable for it.

That said, the police are an extremely effective way of getting rid of these guys. The last two that have come to the door, I've just told them "The last guys got the police called on them" and they turn and run. No arguing or going through their usual "I'm not selling anything" spiel....they're taught to do that.
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
tim-x wrote: Just want to chime in here. I used to be a youth worker with the Children's Aid Society. Many of my clients got jobs with these companies.

Door to door soliciting should be banned in the province of Ontario. This province needs to strengthen laws against scammers. There are more older people now who live by themselves.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2014/0 ... r-17-years

This door to door salesman killed this woman.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 6, 2006
5882 posts
998 upvotes
Toronto
SteveRoss wrote: Door to door soliciting should be banned in the province of Ontario. This province needs to strengthen laws against scammers. There are more older people now who live by themselves.

http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/2014/0 ... r-17-years

This door to door salesman killed this woman.
I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. They tried (and failed miserably) to ban telemarketers but they still let these scammers come to your home.

A few weeks back I had 3 different guys on 3 straight days come to my door to introduce themselves as financial planners offering help with my portfolio. Who in their right mind would use a financial adviser who just showed up at their door? They are definitely preying on older people. Two of the three made their way to my older neighbours next door after leaving my place I yelled out to them to skip that house.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 30, 2003
7613 posts
1105 upvotes
kindred_99 wrote: I'm surprised this hasn't happened yet. They tried (and failed miserably) to ban telemarketers but they still let these scammers come to your home.

A few weeks back I had 3 different guys on 3 straight days come to my door to introduce themselves as financial planners offering help with my portfolio. Who in their right mind would use a financial adviser who just showed up at their door? They are definitely preying on older people. Two of the three made their way to my older neighbours next door after leaving my place I yelled out to them to skip that house.
Really, financial planners? That's a new one for me. We get real estate agents coming to the door a lot, but they usually bug off a lot faster than the energy guys....they need to work with you if you hire them, so it kills them if they're rude.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2025 upvotes
Fernando Poo
A door-to-door salesman from Kitchener is facing a charge of impersonating a police officer, while in Kingsville.

OPP say back on Wednesday they received several complaints from Kingsville residents about a man selling water heaters and being belligerent and pushy.

Authorities say one resident claims he got into a disagreement with the salesman and threatened to call police, and that’s when the salesman said not to bother because he was a police officer. It’s alleged the salesman identified himself as one of the officers he had dealt with earlier in the day during another complaint.

James Storton, 37, of Kitchener is set to appear in court once again September 25.

http://blackburnnews.com/windsor/windso ... nates-cop/
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3296 posts
433 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
I used to be pretty courteous when dealing with these people when they came to my house, but they were super annoying and persistent. Then I just started slamming the door in their faces as soon as I saw them. Works every time and saves 5 minutes of telling them to f*** off lol

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)