Home & Garden

Shutters - wood vs vinyl, California or plantation?

• Last Updated:
  • May 3rd, 2018 2:24 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 20, 2013
9 posts

Shutters - wood vs vinyl, California or plantation?

We are buying a new home and have just started to think about window coverings but am feeling pretty overwhelmed. Anyone have a good resource for researching shutters? Ie, pros & cons of vinyl vs wood shutters, what the difference is between California or plantation? Also, there are a zillion companies out there selling shutters. How do you start to narrow down good quality since there is a crazy range in price (new house is in Brooklin- east of toronto)

Thanks
19 replies
Jan 12, 2014
68 posts
8 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I got the California Eclipse shutters this past December from http://www.savalan.ca/index.html
They've got every type of window coverings you can imagine and will help you decide what's best for you. I shopped around before going to them and found their prices where also the lowest. They even came over for design and colour consult before I even agreed to do any work.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2009
1072 posts
77 upvotes
Shutters are for war zones to protect glass from bombs.
Dec 31, 2007
417 posts
105 upvotes
Dreamhousedesign wrote: We are buying a new home and have just started to think about window coverings but am feeling pretty overwhelmed. Anyone have a good resource for researching shutters? Ie, pros & cons of vinyl vs wood shutters, what the difference is between California or plantation? Also, there are a zillion companies out there selling shutters. How do you start to narrow down good quality since there is a crazy range in price (new house is in Brooklin- east of toronto)

Thanks
i got the california shutters from pc shutters in mississauga. it was a close choice between them and star shutters. price were very close.

i chose the california shutters because it looks nicer than the plantation style. and i chose the wood shutters because the vinyl will yellow over time and will look ugly.
May 29, 2007
450 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
We went with plantation shutters throughout the the house last year from Star Shutters. The price was better than the three competitors we got quotes from. Plantation let in more light than California. We went with real wood.
Aug 20, 2011
699 posts
34 upvotes
Markham
Shutters ugly imo, they look heavy and block out soo much light, they look like a door installed on a window, I'd go with horiztonal blinds with drapery above it, or maybe roller shade.
Jun 12, 2014
20 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I went with Star Custom shutter, the shutters look very nice. They give me a very affordable price, and 3% more discount if I reccomend relatives to them. Definitely, i will refer Star to my family and friends because the shutters look fantastic.Moreover, they offer 25 years warranty for paint peeling, discorloration and materials.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2010
1620 posts
249 upvotes
Newmarket
5 years ago we got hunter douglas palm beach shutters and they are still as white as the day we bought them.....apparently there is a guarantee that they will never discolour

i decided to go with the thickest panel because it's easier to clean, and i liked the look the best
the only problem i have is that the plastic pieces that hold the magnets have broken on some windows, but those are easily replaceable

i remember shopping around and the place that gave me the best price was some store in oakville on speers rd.
Jun 12, 2014
20 posts
2 upvotes
Brampton, ON
toyopl wrote: We got Plantation from http://www.starscustomshutters.com/
I thought that plantation will let in more light than california, it looks less busy.
Same as mine, i did plantation shutters because it is easy to maintain and it looks more fashion too
Jun 20, 2009
638 posts
149 upvotes
GTA
I am in process of finalizing shutters for my new house. So far I have got quotes from 4 shutters places. First 3 showed me samples of vinyl shutters and the last one had wood and vinyl. He said the price is same but he recommended wood over vinyl. He said vinyl will discolor over the time depending on how much light comes in. The other vinyl guy said that there is warranty for discoloring but this guy said it will discolor.....I personally like vinyl more than wood for the reason that it is easier to clean and the tilt bar for wood is very sloppy but if wood has more benefits I would rather go with wood....I want something long term. What is your experience?
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
3093 posts
458 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
lady at HD was trying to push me to vinyl instead of wood. I asked if it discolors. for sure no she says. then she tells me it is very important in the summer to change the tilts every day so that both sides get the same amount of light...
Mar 10, 2009
463 posts
87 upvotes
I went with Wood shuttters from Star Customs in my old house. No complaints, price was good/better than other quotes we got. The 'staple' system for the tilt bar looked simple/cheap, but worked fine - just made sure my kids weren't rough or playing with them to much.

I went with wood mainly because white paint would match the trim around my windows - even if the vinyl didn't discolour, the white vinly still wouldn't match as well.

No real issue cleaning the wood , just wiped them down or vacuumed them.
Jun 20, 2009
638 posts
149 upvotes
GTA
eldeejay wrote: lady at HD was trying to push me to vinyl instead of wood. I asked if it discolors. for sure no she says. then she tells me it is very important in the summer to change the tilts every day so that both sides get the same amount of light...
Did you go with vinyl?
That's exactly what one shutter company told me but I am wondering why PC shutter guy said that they do discolor over the time......he tried to push wood shutters. He said we give 5 year warranty on vinyl for discoloration whereas the other company said 25 years on fading. Is fading same as yellowing?