• Jul 19th, 2017 10:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
tylaw83 wrote: Also, taking a sick day for menstrual cramps is a joke. If your wife is the unfortunate type that feels extreme pain from her cycles then alternative arrangements should be made with the employer (either unpaid or paid if the employer is generous) rather than just taking sick days off every month.
This quote shows how you haven’t been around women much during those bad times. Only a man with a lot of ignorance would write what you just wrote. Menstrual cramps can and will knock you out if you’re the unfortunate one with a bad month or worse bad menstrual cramp for the remaining god knows how many years. Sure there are meds, which is just pain killers but it can and will still knock you out.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2009
2085 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
setell wrote: This quote shows how you haven’t been around women much during those bad times. Only a man with a lot of ignorance would write what you just wrote. Menstrual cramps can and will knock you out if you’re the unfortunate one with a bad month or worse bad menstrual cramp for the remaining god knows how many years. Sure there are meds, which is just pain killers but it can and will still knock you out.
Ignorance? Hardly.

If a woman's menstrual cycle is causing a regular disruption at work, alternative arrangements need to made. Sick days are for acute cases of illness, not regular monthly occurrences.

I have had these discussions with in-house counsel present and can assure you this is a perfectly acceptable corporate practice. As it was, we offered 25 work-from-home days.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2005
6905 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
tylaw83 wrote: Ignorance? Hardly.

If a woman's menstrual cycle is causing a regular disruption at work, alternative arrangements need to made. Sick days are for acute cases of illness, not regular monthly occurrences.

I have had these discussions with in-house counsel present and can assure you this is a perfectly acceptable corporate practice. As it was, we offered 25 work-from-home days.

Your attitude against what women go through every month is very offensive. Your attempt at saving yourself shows how little you know of what women go through every month. Do you honestly think every women is going to go to management and lay out their menstrual cycle and say “look I may be off work every month for a day or two depending if my menstrual cramps are horrible or not”. A lot of women go about their lives during that time of month without anybody knowing. It is those rare times that a bad month hits you hard that knock you out. Hey, I’m not embarrassed to say I’ve been knocked out before out of the blue and had to stay home. Does this happen EVERY month? God no. By your theory, I should have made arrangements with management as calling in sick that day is unacceptable and a joke?! It’s not acute enough in your books!

Man….your attitude gives me the impression you’re a (or going to be) a-hole manager type of person.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
Biff88 wrote: With 20 sick days available it's obviously open to abuse. In non-union work places, you usually get 5 days per year and most people take between 1-3 days and don't get asked for doctor notes. Sounds like some serious abuses have occurred and unfortunately your wife's legitimate illnesses are now caught up in wide scale crackdown on everybody.

You get 10 days minimum as per Ontario labour laws. Good companies allow these plus some personal days to top up.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1368 upvotes
MoneyAndWealth wrote: 20 sick days a year! That's crazy...

Only in N. America is this considered strange. In most other english-speaking nations in the world, this is nothing.

We are not as progressive as some might like to believe.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Expert
May 17, 2008
15134 posts
160 upvotes
Syne wrote: You get 10 days minimum as per Ontario labour laws. Good companies allow these plus some personal days to top up.

You are technically correct, but you may be misleading people.

In Ontario, companies with 50 employees or more are required to allow employees up to 10 days of Personal emergency leave. They are not required to pay them for that time though. Basically they just can't fire you for taking up to 10 days off of work for illness or a few other reasons covered. There is no requirement to provide any amount of paid sick leave in Ontario.
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
959 upvotes
YK
Syne wrote: Only in N. America is this considered strange. In most other english-speaking nations in the world, this is nothing.

We are not as progressive as some might like to believe.
We have 9 days available sick time per year. If you take 9 days, they call you in and ask what they can do to help you get to work more in the next year. So some employees come in to work, visibly sick and spread it to others. At one point, they sent out a mass e-mail reminding staff that there was a respiratory outbreak going on and that staff should stay home if sick. I made sure I kept that e-mail, just in case needed in the near future.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2341 posts
1489 upvotes
Not sure why this is being posted on here?

If she is a union employee there would be a collective agreement that refers to these issues. If in the CA it states she needs to provide a doctor's note if she's sick...then she has to provide a doctor's note that she's sick. It's that simple. If the requirement is have a note supporting days off then I can see why getting a note days later makes no sense.

If she doesn't require a note as per the CA then she needs to contact her union rep ASAP to have some guidance/grieve any disciplinary action.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)