Pets

sick expensive munchkin kitten - help

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2020 11:58 am
[OP]
Feb 12, 2020
3 posts

sick expensive munchkin kitten - help

My cousin who was in need of a therapy pet found herself a munchkin kitten - I go with her to pick it up as she needed a ride -- I died a little when the breeder said that will be 1200 - yup all here, thank you! So I get over my shock, this was not even 6 months ago... they just got a 4000.00 vet bill and growing from this kitten as it was vomiting excessively and all thus far that is determined, the kitten had a blockage, nope maybe FIP - but still not certain that it will even live... we live in bc, Canada.. is there any agency that helps with the legality of this? or is it all caveat emptor?
67930753_502857410460421_2404787837258956800_n.jpg
5 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 9, 2012
1441 posts
142 upvotes
Pluto
What does their contract with the breeder say?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1858 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
That's terrible. I would suggest to call the breeder first and let them know about what has been happening.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2014
3105 posts
483 upvotes
OP - I second Purgatory's question regarding your paperwork. Was the person you purchased the kitten from a "real" breeder or a backyard breeder. I do understand that your cousin has bonded with the kitten - probably almost immediately and it is horrible situation to be in.

First, you have to know exactly what the health issue is - even if you call the person your cousin adopted the kitten from your cousin will be asked this.

We live in Ontario. I do not know what the current rules are but going back a few years, rescues would take in a pet and have surgery or whatever was required to be done to save the pet (within reason) - BUT - the pet would not be released back to the original owners but adopted out. These days rescues are overwhelmed with pets so I do not know how the situation would be handled.

There is also Care Credit if your cousin qualifies. No interest for 12 months (Care Credit can be obtained for either a human or a pet).

But you have to find out what is wrong with the kitten before you can proceed.

Regarding a "therapy" kitten - do you mean an Emotional Support Animal? I really want to know because true "therapy" animals for say someone who is blind etc. are generally dogs.
[OP]
Feb 12, 2020
3 posts
Thanks for your thoughtful response!!! <3 THe owner is high functioning autistic and this is her first on her own living experience so adulting on her own is a new for her experience. She has heightened anxiety on almost all social functions. The cat, due to its small size is a huge help for her. On the topic of the Kitten itself. I do not know the details of the breeder aside of where it was purchased as I was only the driver and observer. I am going to look into as much as I can to see if anything can be done. As of this posting he is seeming to improve in health. They were not able to entire diagnose what caused it be so sick. PIF was one of the suggestions, initially it appeared to be a blocked intestinal tract. It is so exhausted from the entire thing as this has been going on since monday, that it is not a simple thing for the vet to sort out apparently. I am just furious about the costs and stress for the situation. I am also going to assume back yard breeder is most appropriate term from what I saw.
Thank you again.
[OP]
Feb 12, 2020
3 posts
no contract was filled out - darn good idea though on that kind of a purchase! i truly was an innocent bystander who gave her a ride to get this kitten. Apparently they are not easy to come by and as I look up about them, they are a bit of a mutated breed. Its disgusting to me that someone can make money doing this sort of work. Wish I knew a way to stop it, this is why I am here asking about it... to see if there are any experienced in the field as whistle blowers or about success stories of health for them. Thanks!!!