Travel

siem reap, thailand, and singapore, how many days in each country?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 17th, 2018 9:54 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2728 posts
344 upvotes
Vaughan

siem reap, thailand, and singapore, how many days in each country?

I know i sound generic, when i ask how many days in each city or country. I asked about this, when i went to Egypt, and most of you guys were bang on with the number of days in each city.

So i plan to visit siem rep, bangkok, chiang mai, phuket, and singapore. Siem reap, i only really want to go see Angkor Wat, nothing really else. Maybe shoot some guns at a shooting range. In Singapore, I'm probably going to spend at least 1 whole day at the Marina bay sands hotel. I'm thinking of stay there for 2 days. Most of the time, i will spend in the hotel. I don't usually splurge for hotels, but i think i want to stay at least 2 nights at this hotel, and really enjoy what it has to offer. The rest of my trip, in singapore, I'll probably stay at a cheap airbnb or cheap hotel.

A little background info. I'll be traveling solo, so no kids, no time restraints, going at my own pace. I do tend to go at a fast pace. That doesn't mean i go in and out of a tourist spot within a minute. However, I'll look around, check it out, take some photos, and leave. I'm a hobbyist photographer, and i mainly travel to take nice photos, and say I've been to these places. With that said, i like to visit all the touristy destinations, and don't like sitting on the beach. The beach thing is definitely not my thing, but I'd be willing to check out islands, just not sit all day under the sun on the beach.

For those that have been to those cities, how much time do you think i need for each city?

I'm also a bit of a foodie, so I don't mind trying new things. I do plan to eat insects in thailand (yeah i know gross to most people). However, I'm pretty open to trying new food, or something i wouldn't be able to try here.

Thanks.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
23 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2006
3411 posts
344 upvotes
Siem Reap: 3 days. Angkor Wat is just one temple among many others.

Bangkok: 5 days. Try to be in Bangkok during the weekend, not just for the nightlife, but for the Chatuchak weekend market and the Khlong lat mayom floating market, which are only open during weekends.

Chiang Mai: haven't been

Phuket: 3 days, but if you're a hobby photographer, skip Phuket and just stay at Koh Phi Phi instead. Or perhaps consider staying in Krabi, which I consider to be more photogenic than Phuket.

Singapore: 3 days (without your one full day in Marina Bay Sands), maybe 4.
Mar 13, 2018
607 posts
285 upvotes
phuviano wrote:
Aug 7th, 2018 2:07 am
I know i sound generic, when i ask how many days in each city or country. I asked about this, when i went to Egypt, and most of you guys were bang on with the number of days in each city.

So i plan to visit siem rep, bangkok, chiang mai, phuket, and singapore. Siem reap, i only really want to go see Angkor Wat, nothing really else. Maybe shoot some guns at a shooting range. In Singapore, I'm probably going to spend at least 1 whole day at the Marina bay sands hotel. I'm thinking of stay there for 2 days. Most of the time, i will spend in the hotel. I don't usually splurge for hotels, but i think i want to stay at least 2 nights at this hotel, and really enjoy what it has to offer. The rest of my trip, in singapore, I'll probably stay at a cheap airbnb or cheap hotel.

A little background info. I'll be traveling solo, so no kids, no time restraints, going at my own pace. I do tend to go at a fast pace. That doesn't mean i go in and out of a tourist spot within a minute. However, I'll look around, check it out, take some photos, and leave. I'm a hobbyist photographer, and i mainly travel to take nice photos, and say I've been to these places. With that said, i like to visit all the touristy destinations, and don't like sitting on the beach. The beach thing is definitely not my thing, but I'd be willing to check out islands, just not sit all day under the sun on the beach.

For those that have been to those cities, how much time do you think i need for each city?

I'm also a bit of a foodie, so I don't mind trying new things. I do plan to eat insects in thailand (yeah i know gross to most people). However, I'm pretty open to trying new food, or something i wouldn't be able to try here.

Thanks.
Siem Reap - 4 full days, lots to see and do beyond just Angkor Wat

Chiang Mai - 3 days, it's a chill and kick back relaxing place with lots of temples and great food, quite different/refreshing from the really big tourist cities

Phuket - 2 to 3 days, I'm not a big fan of the crowds and how commercialized it is (in tacky way), unless you're staying in a villa to relax, in which case, don't really need to be in Phuket

Singapore - 2 days. Not much to see or do, very boring city. one day in Marina Bay Sands is a lot, there's nothing there or in the bayfront area unless you like to see expats in clones of western chain line places . Just go to the pool and take your gram pictures and leave. If you're going to splurge on a hotel, do it at one of the nice ones on Orchard Road and get the Singapore experience and not generic hotel of marina Bay Sands
Last edited by Gboard2 on Aug 7th, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 8, 2012
420 posts
153 upvotes
Williams Lake
I'm a fast-paced traveller. 2-5 days max per city. For me:

Two (or three depending on how much you like temples) days at Angkor Wat. Do the inner and outer rings, one day each, in the morning. If you can do a sunrise tour, do it (I didn't and I'm still kicking myself). Do not miss Ta Prohm. Take an extra battery for your camera. I stayed at the Diamond D'Angkor Boutique Hotel. The best hotel I've stayed at, in terms of price/service/amenities in all my travels.

Bangkok. Three days. Temples, markets, and the river. I loved the river, and the cheap boat taxis, particularly after dark. I'm not a nightlife traveller, but I've heard Bangkok's is "extensive and varied".
Jan 31, 2007
296 posts
92 upvotes
Just chiming in here.

Angkor Wat - we stayed 3 days in March but wish we had added an extra day - but this is family travel so maybe 3 days is right for an individual. Definitely get the evisa (not Visa on arrival, unless you are a sadist and enjoy lining up at the passport auction with a mass of Chinese tourists). We stayed at the Golden Temple Retreat. I can't say enough about the guys at the resort. Rockstar service, great rooms and breakfast and their tour offering was excellent. Definitely the high end of service expectations as your money goes really far in Cambodia.

Bangkok - it's been a few years but I would say 3 -4 is plenty. Unless you really enjoy the nightlife. Skip taxis, tuk tuks are the answer to get anywhere. And don't get pulled into the "I can take you to my cousin's store" trick, you'll spend eons going from store to store as they get comped for how many stupid tourists they bring. Total killer in your day.

Singapore - 3 to 4 days is about right. Great metro system, but some spots you will need to take taxi (they didn't do uber at the time).
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2004
1343 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
As a photographer, you would probably be taking more photographs in Cambodia as well as in/around Chang Mai. Chang Mai visit can be as short at 2 nights or as long as 7-10 days if you plan to go out of the city into villages, hike,etc Unless you are into photographing tourists in bars, I doubt you will take many images in Phuket. Though from there you can take tours to other islands that have more to offer than prostitutes, drunken bars and scammers.
As others pointed out, there's more to Cambodia than Angkor Wat. The surrounding villages, cities, rivers are full of life. You can easily roam around for a week.
Dmitri Markine Wedding Photography: My 500pix||My Flickr||My Pinterest||My Instagram
Dec 24, 2006
441 posts
56 upvotes
Vancouver
Siem Reap: since you mentioned food, if you are not too far away check out The Touich... it's in the middle of residential area (we were there 5 years ago and now looks like there's an actual Google Maps entry and even street view! Both of which didn't exist back then) Food was delicious and staff friendly, hopefully the tuktuk drivers aren't as confused nowadays in getting there. For me that was better experience than the ones at the bustling tourist area near the hospital and the river (where Hard Rock Cafe is)

Also for Angkor Wat, if you're thinking of taking the sunrise picture looking over the reflection pond at the majestic temples as the sun rises behind it, get there super early right when the gates open to stake out your spot (5am if I recall) as the crowd builds early - best if you already bought tickets the day before or arranged a tour/taxi with prepaid tickets. When I was there some of the towers were undergoing restoration work so there was scaffolding all over which may not be desirable to you. There were two ponds on either side of the main walkway so maybe scout it out the day before?

Thailand: you mentioned you're not really too into the beach thing, so Phuket is almost a pass unless you go there just to go to the islands (for pictures) because sadly Phuket itself does not have much untainted Thai culture that you might seek (for pictures) anymore. You'll get some interesting pics at the (touristy) floating market in Bangkok or if you're game for it, try to hire a long boat to take you into the canels where you have a better chance of catching a glimpse of more local life.

Singapore: again if you're into photography try walking around the different neighbourhoods like Chinatown, Little India, or Kampong Glam (Malays)
Hawker/Food Centres: Bukit Timah, Tiong Bahru, Chomp Chomp, Newton, Whampoa, Golden Mile; spread throughout the region, pick the ones closest to you at the time, can't go wrong with any of them really if you're into trying different foods
Apr 4, 2017
575 posts
80 upvotes
Toronto
Been to all three countries. I would say 3 days in Singapore, 4 days in Cambodia and rest in Thailand.

Lot to do in Thailand .
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
5021 posts
1870 upvotes
In Siem Reap, we liked Angkor Thom better than Angkor Wat as it is much, much larger and just more impressive IMO. Also, a visit to Pub Street in Siem Reap is a lot of fun. Lots of action, people, bars, and restaurants.

Have spent several weeks in Thailand so not fair for me to answer that question as I'd spend way more time than you're likely to have. If in Chiang Mai, however, I'd also go to Chiang Rai. As for Phuket, you can skip the town and stay somewhere less ridiculous tourist wise. We stayed at Karon Beach which was excellent. It's also just down the road from Patong Beach if you feel the need for some tourist trap.

Bangkok is huge and busy and difficult to get around in. Three or four days there seems like it might be enough. One of our highlights, and a place we stayed, was the Lebua at State Tower. The open air bar near the top of the building is where scenes from the Hangover were filmed and the views are spectacular.

Singapore is a clean modern city as compared to a few of the other places you've mentioned. Clarke Quay and the Gardens by the Bay (right by the Marina Bay Sands) are very interesting and a cruise tour around Marina Bay and to Clarke Quay is alright.
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3814 posts
382 upvotes
when I had 2 days in CM I still took it easy because it's sucha laidback atmosphere...pick a few places and don't too crazy
that said, I used my 3rd day for a day trip to chiang rai...so worth it, don't miss the new blue temple
take it form someone who's shutter-happy...i got more than enough photos from northern Thailand in short amount of time...to put it in perspective a usual week traveling fills around 100gb
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
2728 posts
344 upvotes
Vaughan
twitchyzero wrote:
Aug 10th, 2018 6:08 am
when I had 2 days in CM I still took it easy because it's sucha laidback atmosphere...pick a few places and don't too crazy
that said, I used my 3rd day for a day trip to chiang rai...so worth it, don't miss the new blue temple
take it form someone who's shutter-happy...i got more than enough photos from northern Thailand in short amount of time...to put it in perspective a usual week traveling fills around 100gb
Thanks, i was thinking 3 days in chiang mai, and taking a tour to chang rai. Not sure what i want to do yet though. Never knew about a blue temple, cool, thanks.

As for being shutter-happy. I can be like that sometimes, but i think i control myself most of the time. What i do, most of the time is review the photos of a specific area, and delete the ones i don't like. Yes i will delete photos, even before uploading it to my computer. The only time i get a bit trigger happy is when i go to a museum or aquarium. I mainly do long exposures anyway. To me, its not about how many photos i take. I take the time to get the right composition, angles, etc... I take more time to compose, rather than be trigger happy. I'll probably take less than 500 shots on this 2 week trip. I've taken more in the past, in shorter periods of time.
For Sale
Banana Republic Mens Top Coat
banana-republic-mens-top-coat-1846703/#post24082895
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1167 posts
206 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
A few years ago we spent 2 days in Bangkok (too short), 3 days in Chiang Mai (also too short, I loved the place and could have stayed longer), 6 days in Krabi (too long) and 1 day in Singapore on the way back. Although one day in Singapore was not much, I think I wouldn't stay any longer than 2 days there.
Jul 11, 2007
949 posts
93 upvotes
Bangkok tends to be love or hate and I think even people who love it might hate it their first few days there. It's chaotic, dirty and smells, but there is a certain charm to it once you get used to it all. I think 5+ days is needed to explore and understand why Bangkok really does have everything to offer. You can get some great shots at many of the Skybars there.

Singapore doesn't really take too long to explore. The transit is awesome there and you can get around everywhere quickly. Attraction wise, I wouldn't even say there's that much to see. Sentosa Island is not too bad, but really touristy. The highlight is the food at Hawker Stalls and exploring the different districts. There's not much to do around MBS unless you're into shopping, Gambling and Celeb Chef Dining. The hotel is also way overpriced and I wouldn't say worth it unless getting in the Infinity Pool is an absolute must. 3 days should be enough to do everything you want there.
May 11, 2008
473 posts
143 upvotes
Vancouver
Siem Reap: 3 to 4 days
I'll echo @Conquistador's sentiments about Angkor Thom, I found it much more impressive as well.
I'd recommend getting a tuktuk to explore the temples and go at your own pace.
Pub Street is fun and there's the Old Market and Art Center Night Market near by as well.

Thailand: 4 days Bangkok, 5 days Chiang Mai, 2 days Phuket
I was in Chiang Mai for 4 days in November and it wasn't enough time.
Granted I was there for the Yee Peng Festival so that took up a day and another day was taken up going to Chiang Rai to see the Wat Rong Khun (White Temple), Wat Rong Suea Ten (Blue Temple) and Baan Dam (Black House).
Phuket you can get by without spending too much time there, I didn't find it too interesting besides the islands. I didn't spend much time here because I was on my way to Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Party and Koh Samui after.
In Bangkok 4 days would be good, it takes about a half day just for the Damnoen Saduak Floating Market. If you're a foodie, consider taking a cooking class.

Singapore: 3 days
I spent only 2 days on my last trip and it wasn't enough time, mostly cause I spent half the day visiting a friend.
You'll basically spend a day exploring around Gardens by the Bay/Marina Bay Sands.
For hawker centres, I recommend checking out Maxwell Food Centre, Chinatown Hawker Centre and Tekka Centre.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)