Art and Photography

Sigma 30mm - buy now or wait for the new verision?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2013 7:57 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes

Sigma 30mm - buy now or wait for the new verision?

Just picked up the canon version for $533 at Henry's and loving it so far. Needed it for a shoot yesterday. Could have bought from b and h but I likes the Canadian warranty.

My question is whether I should return it to Henry's and wait for the new verision? B and H has the new one going for $499 but I haven't seen Canadian pricing yet. Photoprice has the older lens historically about $100 or more up here so I'm thinking new version will be the same.

Any thoughts? TIA!
13 replies
Dec 13, 2006
623 posts
31 upvotes
Return it and get the new one. Even if you buy from USA dealer Canon will honor the warranty in Canada. Nikon will not. Nikon is too pansy.
-----------------------------------------
Feb 10, 2005
785 posts
126 upvotes
Richmond Hill
If you haven't bot the lens, then I would say to wait for the new version.

If your copy is sharp on all focal points and no shutter blades visible when you see through the lens from the small end, what else you are going to gain from the new version ?

Another variable to consider is the resale value of the old version. That said, having a perfect copy of lens is priceless.

OP, can you see the shutter blades on your new lens ? Or you see a perfect circle when you look through the small end of your lens.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
guardianflash wrote: Return it and get the new one. Even if you buy from USA dealer Canon will honor the warranty in Canada. Nikon will not. Nikon is too pansy.
Yes but you get a longer warranty from buying up here.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
guardianflash wrote: Return it and get the new one. Even if you buy from USA dealer Canon will honor the warranty in Canada. Nikon will not. Nikon is too pansy.
Aggy wrote: Yes but you get a longer warranty from buying up here.
NO. Get your facts straight. BTW, open is not talking about a canon lens. He's talking about the canon version of the sigma 30.
Do not listen to these users.
You will not get sigma Canadian warranty if you BUY from the USA.
You only get Canadian warranty if your receipt is from a Canadian store.

What you should do is return it and BUY it used if the classified.
The used market price for this lens is $400.
Many people are selling it with the original Canadian receipt too.
M-e-X-x wrote: Booty call AND you get gas money? Sweet!
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Little Johny wrote: If you haven't bot the lens, then I would say to wait for the new version.

If your copy is sharp on all focal points and no shutter blades visible when you see through the lens from the small end, what else you are going to gain from the new version ?

Another variable to consider is the resale value of the old version. That said, having a perfect copy of lens is priceless.

OP, can you see the shutter blades on your new lens ? Or you see a perfect circle when you look through the small end of your lens.
I saw your thread regarding the blades ;)

No blades. Just a perfect circle.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
kay188 wrote: NO. Get your facts straight. BTW, open is not talking about a canon lens. He's talking about the canon version of the sigma 30.
Do not listen to these users.
You will not get sigma Canadian warranty if you BUY from the USA.
You only get Canadian warranty if your receipt is from a Canadian store.

What you should do is return it and BUY it used if the classified.
The used market price for this lens is $400.
Many people are selling it with the original Canadian receipt too.
Thanks I might return it. I know if the lens is from US they charge $50 extra in first year for service and $120 after the first year at gentec.

I think I'll hold off for the new version of this lens but i hope the Canadian pricing will be announced soon.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Aggy wrote: Thanks I might return it. I know if the lens is from US they charge $50 extra in first year for service and $120 after the first year at gentec.

I think I'll hold off for the new version of this lens but i hope the Canadian pricing will be announced soon.
That price is not worth servicing your lens though. Gentec themselves told me that people bring in their super telephotos to get serviced so often because they get banged into trees and stuff.

So if you ever bang your lens, or something throws the focus off then paying that price to service it is not worth it.

Just buy a used Sigma 30 off Kijiji. I've seen a good amount being sold for $400 with receipt.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2007
2002 posts
1465 upvotes
The new version is supposedly much sharper at the edges. Also, it has the new USB dock feature, which might be helpful if your lens has any AF issues. I'd personally go with the new version.
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Thanks. Returned it to Henry's. told him I wanted to wait for new version since it'll be close to same price. He laughed and agreed with me lol.
Feb 28, 2008
498 posts
33 upvotes
I'll give credit to Henry's, they may not have the most competitive prices but their customer service is top notch.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2008
1754 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
I''m a 23 year old grad student. I have walked through several Henrys stores and their associate haven't bothered to even ask if I need help and rather talk amongst themselves. Henrys customer service is terrible. Only time I went to a camera store that people treated me like they really wanted my business was the NY BHphoto store.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2007
5823 posts
346 upvotes
Toronto
Never buy from Henrys. If you're smart, you will never ever buy from them.
My HEATWARE
100% Positive
Deal Fanatic
May 5, 2007
5834 posts
1677 upvotes
Maybe depends on location? I've only rally dealt with oshawa and scarborough and both have been excellent with me. I will continue to shop there as long as they will price match.

I also don't like to be bothered when I shop so unless I ask them first I'd rather be ignored ;)

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)