[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto

Sigma 70-300mm DG Macro Good Purchase?

Hey,

(too many new posts in photography section from me but oh well); wondering what the concensus is on this lens. I found three reviews for the non APO version and they say the lens is not bad with IQ being mediocre.

The lens is at a pretty good price of only $170 and the Macro end (200-300) puts things at 1:2 scale. Although I know this isn't a true Macro lens; the reviewers mentioned it is good for capturing larger insects. I also examined the pictures on FlickR taken by these images and am quite impressed at the ability to pick up the detail.

Now here is the questions:

Is the APO version worth the extra $100 (I just want to fool around with the macro and capture further details than my kit lens; move to a true Macro lens when I progress)?

Is the IQ much worse than the 18-55mm EF-S Lens?

Since there is no Image Stabilizer; would I ultimately need a tripod for ultimately all my shots?

Should I opt for the [rfdlink=38]Canon[/rfdlink] EF 80-300mm lens instead (can be had for the same price) with the Ultrasonic Motor and IS; and would I be able to take Macro shots with that?

Thanks.
11 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
I think you need to slow down and master your existing lens. A 50 1.8 with Kenko Extension tubes works. I would really recommend against getting dual purpose lenses that are the jack of all trades and the master of none because you will end up selling them later at a loss to get what you really want.
Aug 19, 2004
722 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
This is a great lens. I would not get it specifically for Macro, as it does not excel at that, but it is a great telephoto lens. IQ is much better than the 18-55 IS. I have the APO lens and am tempted to spend the money on a 100-400 Canon L, but just cannot justify it with the increased weight/bulk and the slightly better IQ. I have used this mainly for outdoor canoeing trips and for my sons soccer games. For the aperture, you need a fairly sunny day and high shutter speed to get good hand held shots at 300mm.

Not certain about the $100 difference. On the US sites, the non APO for Canon is $130 and the APO is $175.

I have some DealExtreme extension tubes which really make the macro pretty decent, but it means fixed aperture and manual focus.

I was seriously hoping the new Sigma 120-400 OS would pan out, but it's apparently an absolutely mediocre lens.
Mark Higgins
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
3286 posts
41 upvotes
Ottawa
AudiDude wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 9:30 pm
I think you need to slow down and master your existing lens. A 50 1.8 with Kenko Extension tubes works. I would really recommend against getting dual purpose lenses that are the jack of all trades and the master of none because you will end up selling them later at a loss to get what you really want.
+1

I recently got into DSLR photography and first used my kit lens for 1-2 months and took it on a week vacation to California. After that I felt I had the basics down, knew the kits lens' limits, and also learned what I was looking for in lenses (focal lengths, max aperture, etc) and other accessories.

Master your camera's functions first, read the manual over a few times, and get out there and shoot!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
AudiDude wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 9:30 pm
Hmm I just wanted to try out macro/telephoto photography and most of the extension tubes are more expensive than this lens; haha. The 18-55mm is a good lens from my experiences so far (will still use that); but it has been pretty dissapointing on the zoom capability when I wanted to shoot more telephoto. Would the extension tubes work will all my lenses?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2004
12862 posts
1466 upvotes
Pickering
Asad_A203 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2008 11:29 pm
Hmm I just wanted to try out macro/telephoto photography and most of the extension tubes are more expensive than this lens; haha. The 18-55mm is a good lens from my experiences so far (will still use that); but it has been pretty dissapointing on the zoom capability when I wanted to shoot more telephoto. Would the extension tubes work will all my lenses?
Yes, they will and they retail for $200.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm Checking Dealextreme and they have an extender for $10 but is extremely backed up. No electric contacts so no AF/Apperature but is this the same one you are talking about Dirtylude?

They also have a lens hood that I wouldn't mind mounting on my 18-55 for $10; the only thing is on the forums some guy with a 24-105L got this stuck on his lens but it clearly states it is for an EF-S 18-55mm. Anyone used a cheap lens hood before?
Aug 19, 2004
722 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Ya, the cheap DX extension tubes are what I'm using. I've really only taken a few test shots with them but they work pretty well for what they are.
Mark Higgins
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2006
4913 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto
DirtyLude wrote:
Jul 21st, 2008 8:07 am
Ya, the cheap DX extension tubes are what I'm using. I've really only taken a few test shots with them but they work pretty well for what they are.
Do you think the lens hood will get stuck on my lens? Alot of people haven't had any problem and I am pretty sure they are just OEM lens hood (I think Canon produces all their cheap stuff in China anyways).

Thanks for letting me know; I will pick one up (can't go wrong for $12).
Dec 31, 1969
I generally prefer Sigma lenses but the Tamron 70-300 isn't too shabby at all. Great bang for the buck, it's hard to beat.