None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2956 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa

Signing up with Shoppers Optimum?

I only go to Shoppers once or twice a month, but they've got another big, tempting signup bonus for their points card at the moment.

There's nothing wrong with signing up for this, is there? I won't be bombarded with useless junk mail on a regular basis?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6030 posts
581 upvotes
SW Ontario
Lots of people have them, including me, but it's just a pain of a points system in my opinion, so I don't much pay attention to it. I just scan my card when I'm there once in a while. Their points system is far too complicated to make it really worthwhile. Too many multipliers and redemption conditions, as in the value per point is never clear.
Jul 31, 2008
219 posts
42 upvotes
It depends what one determines as "junk".

They send a weekly email that tells you:

- how many optimum points you have
- link to weekly flyer
- weekly promo - if available (spend x dollars, get gift card)
- links to any bonus offers - if available (like the bonus points this week)
- links to coupons (if available)

One might consider it a lot of detail but if you're planning to buy something during the upcoming week - it might be helpful.

I personally don't find it that annoying. (I already spent my 30 dollar minimum this week to get the bonus points)
Jan 16, 2009
242 posts
11 upvotes
You can unsubscribe to the weekly email and keep the card, it's not mandatory.

I have an Optimum card, but it's usually pretty hard to work up to $50 in purchases for the big bonuses (even $30 like this week). My rule of thumb is never to buy anything I wouldn't have without the card, because otherwise you are just spending money now to maybe get some back later, and that's not wise.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1787 posts
179 upvotes
avp77 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2010 5:47 pm
You can unsubscribe to the weekly email and keep the card, it's not mandatory.

I have an Optimum card, but it's usually pretty hard to work up to $50 in purchases for the big bonuses (even $30 like this week). My rule of thumb is never to buy anything I wouldn't have without the card, because otherwise you are just spending money now to maybe get some back later, and that's not wise.
Thats a good rule...

The thing with Shopper is that, they are a little bit more expensive then most places. However if they have the spend $50/$75 and get x points or x times the points and if the Gillette cartridges are on sale then I go buy a bunch of them, no matter what I will use them. Right now I have about 36 new cartridges. It should last me for quite sometime.

I usually never buy anything from shoppers unless its on sale or I need it. The thing is that Shoppers is just few mins walk from my place so its convenient.
Jan 11, 2009
117 posts
5 upvotes
Oro Station, ON
Yes, generally speaking when SDM has sales - it's a good sale. But their regular prices are ridiculous.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2003
2956 posts
353 upvotes
Ottawa
I was thinking about this again recently when I saw a neighbor had somehow gotten an SDM $20 off next purchase of $60+ coupon in the mail.

Is there a promo code somewhere I should use when I sign up?
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2006
9577 posts
2152 upvotes
its probably the best points system in Canada. easy to spend money at shoppers if you have young kids, I buy diapers there all the time, they are always on sale.