Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1128 posts
41 upvotes

Signs of a Bad Interview

I wanted to share with others some of the things I've noted on my not so greatest job interviews. Feel free to add your experiences. :cheesygri
  1. The interviewer looks bored and stares at the ceiling.
  2. The interviewer keeps looking at her watch when you're not looking at her. Thinking you don't notice.
  3. The interviewer doesn't smile while talking to you. In fact, she's kind of frowning like she has gas.
  4. The interviewer asks you a million stupid questions to prove herself that you don't know what the f*** you're talking about. What's the difference between extends and includes in use cases? What's a plain vanilla swap? Why did I wake up a complete beeyatch this morning?
  5. The interviewer begins to read your resume for the first time and tells you why you are not right for the job.
  6. The interviewer asks you if you have a sense of humour. Apparently you came across as a robot.
  7. The interviewer doesn't call you for another week. If they like you, they would have called sooner.
  8. The interviewer barely talks about the job and has nothing else to say before 30 minutes has even passed. Why talk about a job to someone you're going to reject anyways.
  9. The interviewer barely looks at you when you say goodbye. She's doesn't plan on seeing you again.
  10. The interviewer asks if you know any friends who are interested in the job.
20 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1128 posts
41 upvotes
Flame_lily wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 9:36 am
exactly how many interviews have you had?
I've had about 10 in the last 2-3 years. Not counting the phone interviews. I really do suck at them.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2005
1016 posts
36 upvotes
Kitchener
chicken_little wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2007 9:50 pm
I wanted to share with others some of the things I've noted on my not so greatest job interviews. Feel free to add your experiences. :cheesygri
  2. The interviewer keeps looking at her watch when you're not looking at her. Thinking you don't notice.
  3. The interviewer doesn't smile while talking to you. In fact, she's kind of frowning like she has gas.
  4. The interviewer asks you a million stupid questions to prove herself that you don't know what the f*** you're talking about. What's the difference between extends and includes in use cases? What's a plain vanilla swap? Why did I wake up a complete beeyatch this morning?
  5. The interviewer begins to read your resume for the first time and tells you why you are not right for the job.
  6. The interviewer asks you if you have a sense of humour. Apparently you came across as a robot.
  7. The interviewer doesn't call you for another week. If they like you, they would have called sooner.
  8. The interviewer barely talks about the job and has nothing else to say before 30 minutes has even passed. Why talk about a job to someone you're going to reject anyways.
  9. The interviewer barely looks at you when you say goodbye. She's doesn't plan on seeing you again.

:lol:

Sounds like you need to stay away from female interviewers.

I find in the best interviews, the employer does about 50% of the talking. Describing the position, their goals as a company and such.
Nov 7, 2003
252 posts
sounds more like a bad interviewer than a bad interview.

Job interviewers should treat their candidates with the upmost respect. A person who may be unfit for a position may be fit for something else. I've actually heard of a manager who had (kindly) rejected a job candidate who later became of their firm's biggest client. This is possible because most people who go for job in a particular industry shows interest/passion for that industry, and it may only be a matter of time before the rejected job candidate rub elbows with the hiring firm again: as partner, supplier, client, or competitor.
Trying is the first step towards failure
--Homer Simpson
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18164 posts
1062 upvotes
chicken_little wrote:
  1. The interviewer begins to read your resume for the first time and tells you why you are not right for the job.
hahah I had this happen to me. This was during the third and final round with the manager.

I know some executives are really pressed for time and might not have time to study your resume closely. But still, take 2-5 minutes before the interview, glance over the resume and educate yourself quickly.

It was a pretty disappointing interview. The manager starts off by saying "My apologies, I have an important meeting soon so we will have to make this quick".

Great, I think, nice to make me feel wanted.

Then the guy proceeds to read over my resume in front of me. Says stuff like "Oh, I notice you did XX and YY..........interesting".

He asked me a few questions, I think I answered them well.

Right at the end, he says something like "Oh, we are really looking for someone with ZZ experience but I realize you don't have much of that".

I couldn't say anything but to reiterate that I like challenges and to learn new things etc.

Really, really bad interview and interviewer. I never got a call back at all, not even "Sorry position was filled".

And this was the third and final round. The first two went very well. Oh well, life goes on and I have a really good job now while that company is really struggling. Things happen for a reason I guess.
Mar 5, 2007
614 posts
chicken_little wrote:

The interviewer asks you a million stupid questions to prove herself that you don't know what the f*** you're talking about. What's the difference between extends and includes in use cases? What's a plain vanilla swap? Why did I wake up a complete beeyatch this morning?
#4 Happened to me once in a panel interview. Interview lasted 40 minutes. The first 10 minutes went well. Interviewers started attacking me with hard questions for the last 25-30 minutes making me look stupid and silly. I even had to say "I'm not sure" for a few questions because it was too specific. Either I knew it or I didn't. They kept on targeting questions...

--
Another interview i had was more professional. First 20 minutes with the HR person which made me feel very comfortable (More like a generic interview), then had a 10 minute break. Then the real manager came into the room, while the HR person is gone. All I had to do was listen to the real manager speak for 15-20 minutes. lol
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2004
6964 posts
97 upvotes
New Westminster
chicken_little wrote:
oh #4 is so true. I've had some very specific questions regarding C++, which really only take 2 sec to google the answer but can't remember off the top of the head.

hmm, I think extend is more for the rare/exception cases and include is for general/base cases.
insert witty comment
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2005
14828 posts
1497 upvotes
Final Lazy wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 10:21 am
sounds more like a bad interviewer than a bad interview.

Job interviewers should treat their candidates with the upmost respect. A person who may be unfit for a position may be fit for something else. I've actually heard of a manager who had (kindly) rejected a job candidate who later became of their firm's biggest client. This is possible because most people who go for job in a particular industry shows interest/passion for that industry, and it may only be a matter of time before the rejected job candidate rub elbows with the hiring firm again: as partner, supplier, client, or competitor.
Not to mention - a disgruntled interviewee could bad mouth the company and generate negativity PR. It's in the interest of the interviewer to sell the company to the job candidate regardless if the person is qualified or not. The candidate should always leave with a positive impression of the company.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2006
1042 posts
4 upvotes
yeah, I find that a lot of interviewees open with saying how great their company is, their low turnover rate, etc. etc.

i guess that's a sign of a good interviewee...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2004
1128 posts
41 upvotes
SomeGuyGG wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2007 10:11 am
:lol:

Sounds like you need to stay away from female interviewers.

I find in the best interviews, the employer does about 50% of the talking. Describing the position, their goals as a company and such.
I've had equally bad luck with both men and women.

And you're so right...when I find myself doing most of the talking it usually means I'm not getting the job. On good interviews, the employer is so busy talking about the job, we end up going past our allotted time.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2006
1094 posts
13 upvotes
It was a pretty disappointing interview. The manager starts off by saying "My apologies, I have an important meeting soon so we will have to make this quick".
If I ever get one of those, I would fire back at him.
"Oh really, well I have a better job interview soon so I will make it quick for you. Nice to meet you all and good bye!"

:D
Aug 20, 2006
620 posts
9 upvotes
TORONTO
I've had bad interviews and these are with union places like governments/Univs and pvt few law firms.
I had an interview with one on one which is good! I did get tired staring at their face tho.
then came the nightmare with 2 interviewers in the room.It was fine.There is always one person not speaking.Like a truth watcher!

Then i had one with 3 at an (unnamed dt university toronto) where i felt humliated.They already had someone in mind for the job.Why bother waste other ppls time.This was going back 2 yrs back.
The actual honcho! guy was yawning and well not even looking my way.

And then finally, the worst was with a government office dt with all their politics in hiring process - They were 6 ppl interviewing you and get this...It was for a 1 year contract in IT position where the actual IT manager didnt say a thing n just doodled on the paper.Mmmm...shows you the type of ppl we have hiring n keeping the job market upbeat! And plus I hate the job agencies! Its like ure signing your life away with all the paper work for peanuts.

I had an excellent job now and happy with it.

Well there you have it.

Sometimes, you know ure interview went well, when you feel comfortable with the person(s) interviewing you and dont feel like ure confessing to a murder!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2005
5670 posts
162 upvotes
GTA
chicken_little wrote:
My first real interview with TDCT back in October 1994 was really disappointing to me. I thought I blew it big time. During the interview, as I was talking, the interviewer stopped me to say "Oh look, its snowing outside". Right then and there I thought its over. No chance in hell TD will be hiring me. Low and behold I was called back for a 2nd and 3rd interview and just b4 Xmas I was offered a job that I couldn't refuse!!!! Needless to say, exactly after 10 years with TDCT, I quit on good terms, but it is one interview that will stick to me forever!!! So take it from me, don't read into things too much!!!

sk
× < >