• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2006 6:15 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 16, 2003
407 posts
Vancouver (Burnaby)

signs of a bad tint job

Ag... I bought a Mazda3 but I couldn't pick up the car on the day it was ready. So my parents went in and finished up everything for me. Unfortunately, they agreed to have the dealer do the tint, which came out to close to 500 bucks. I know a big ********* rip off but they had set everythign to the monthly payment as well. Wasn't happy when i found that out.

So i went and got the car tinted by "their" guy. He was in a hurry since he had other jobs to do that day. I'm like.. oh boy.. i hope he doesn't screw up my tint.
Of course, i gave it a couple of days for the tint to set/dry. And finally we have sunny weather here in Vancouver so I can inspect the tint.

There are air bubbles (i can live witht hat i guess) but there are also micro tears in the tint. Light goes through them, so the passengers int he back can see them really well. WTF...

I was serious p'd off when i saw this.. I'm thinking of calling the guy and asking him to do the job again, especially for that price.
Am I wrong for thinking this way?

I got another person to do my tint for our vibe for 160 bux cash, and it was done nicely. I spotted only one micro air bubble but no tears.

What do you guys think?
My Heatware
My Ebay Feedback

now comes with troll repellent
19 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2005
7260 posts
128 upvotes
Whats the warranty they stated for the tint? Since its from the dealership, there MUST be some sort of warranty against: peeling, bubbling, scratching, etc.

For that much money, hopefully life time warranty?

No, you have 100% right to go back to tell them this. Do it fast before they claim YOU scratched it or something.

Tint should let NO light in thru any break/slit. Slit probably means they guy accidentally sliced it with the knife while cutting it to shape.

My tint was cut short and a near 1mm gap was seen, and my tint shop gladly replaced the entire window tint with a new piece.
Aug 2, 2005
238 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
call the guy and ask him to retint your car. For that kind of price on a tint job I would expect a damn good job since you could easily get better tinting done at less than half the cost you paid.
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
11937 posts
569 upvotes
Toronto
Completely unacceptable. That does not qualify as a tint, especially from the dealer. I would be expecting more and that's not it.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18156 posts
1056 upvotes
yeah unfortunately that happened to my tint job as well.

This was at a local Toronto place that shall be left unnamed for now. It was during one of their specials and the guy doing the job was super busy that day.

By the time it was finished it was evening and kind of hard to inspect the tint. I inspected the next day and lo' and behold there were some micro tears in the tint on the passenger side window.

Called up the guy and he told me was really busy, probably call back in a couple of weeks. I figured ok......couple of weeks went by and nothing. So I called and same story, really busy with the special still going on, call back.

And then winter. The place provides lifetime warranty so I am going to call them up this spring and get them to replace it. How likely will they do it ? Or will they accuse me of tearing the tint ?

Mine didn't cost anything near yours so I don't feel as bad. But since yours is so recent, you should get it fixed up ASAP.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
45 upvotes
Kingston
kyo_death wrote:Ag... I bought a Mazda3 but I couldn't pick up the car on the day it was ready. So my parents went in and finished up everything for me. Unfortunately, they agreed to have the dealer do the tint, which came out to close to 500 bucks. I know a big ********* rip off but they had set everythign to the monthly payment as well. Wasn't happy when i found that out.

So i went and got the car tinted by "their" guy. He was in a hurry since he had other jobs to do that day. I'm like.. oh boy.. i hope he doesn't screw up my tint.
Of course, i gave it a couple of days for the tint to set/dry. And finally we have sunny weather here in Vancouver so I can inspect the tint.

There are air bubbles (i can live witht hat i guess) but there are also micro tears in the tint. Light goes through them, so the passengers int he back can see them really well. WTF...

I was serious p'd off when i saw this.. I'm thinking of calling the guy and asking him to do the job again, especially for that price.
Am I wrong for thinking this way?

I got another person to do my tint for our vibe for 160 bux cash, and it was done nicely. I spotted only one micro air bubble but no tears.

What do you guys think?

Yup, you got screwed. If he doesn't redo it, sue the dealer. You paid the dealer, right?
[OP]
Mar 16, 2003
407 posts
Vancouver (Burnaby)
lol yeah i know i got screwd for price already. i was pissed at my parents but can't do anything about that.

BUT i can for the tint. I'm gonna inspect it again today ( checked yesterday just before the sun went down) and check all 5 windows he did. I just makes me angry that some people can do their job like that cuz its a waste of time and money for me and him.

Thx for the responses guys, i'm glad to know that other have experienced those micro tears (well not really, its a hassle for you and me as well) but i didn't have any comparison cuz all of my friends who have had tints done dont' have any micro tears at all.

I'm wondering if i should open the windows and see if it makes it worse. Darn vancovuer weather. Makes it hard to check for these things.

I have lifetime as well, so I will create hell if i get any hassle, just gotta control my temper
My Heatware
My Ebay Feedback

Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
18156 posts
1056 upvotes
hey just curious how long ago was the tint done ?

Probably should wait 3 weeks as the micro bubbles will dissipate. I didn't really have any problems with micro bubbles but the tears are a biotch.

Two nice slices on the passenger side rear window (this is a coupe so the window is small).

Driver side main window has like a pretty long slash but not deep enough to be a tear. So material isn't broken but you can see this slash/mark on it.

Oh and you know the rubbers that hold the windows in place ? Guy cut up both the driver's side and the passenger side rubber. Not massively, but enough to notice.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2003
407 posts
Vancouver (Burnaby)
i did the tint last tuesday, and was adamant that iw asnt' in a rush but he was.

I drive a mazda3 (m3 kekeke, just to annoy bmw fan boys, yes i like it too), so it was my 2 rear passenger windows, the 2 small windows behind those, and the rear glass.

As for waiting, that's why i waited a week to take a look at the tint just get an idea of how good of a job he did. Not really concerned aboutt he bubbles as long as there aren't too many that can be noticed by others. Tears on the other hand make me angry ^^
My Heatware
My Ebay Feedback

Aug 7, 2005
325 posts
16 upvotes
Newmarket
kyo.. if you don't mind me asking.. how much you paid for your mazda3?? like for down and monthly payment? cause my friend is looking for one also... wants to know what kind of deal is going on.

thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1667 posts
kyo_death wrote:.......

What do you guys think?
where can i find that better guy ? (kyo_death)
Do you have the phone number ? PM me
Deal Guru
Nov 2, 2003
14294 posts
602 upvotes
Scarborough
get it done again.
Deal Addict
Apr 16, 2004
1387 posts
67 upvotes
When I had a tint job done a few years ago there were micro bubles for like a week but they went away.

Call the tint guy and the dealership and let them know (Maybe in writing?) right away so that in a few weeks, id the problem is there you will have a documented case.

If they DO rempve the tint, the only safe way to remove it from the back window with defogger is via chemicals. Also, dont let them remove/reinstall the same day because their will be bits of glue that they will most likley miss with the razer and the only thing worse then one tint job is 2 back to back.
Jan 17, 2006
594 posts
13 upvotes
Boy oh Boy, when you hear my story..you'll cringe..

I also sent my car to an unnamed Tint Company. Dropped the car off Thursday morning @ 9:45 AM, patiently waited until they called us to come down there @ 10:00 PM. We inspected the car's tint in the shop, but it was already dark inside and so it was hard to see the level of "detailing" done. After a tiring day of work, it seemed OK so we drove off....UNTIL....

We discovered the following day while inspecting, in broad daylight, a huge 6 cm scratch on the right front passenger's seat near the speakers, grease stains around, and loose door panels on 3 of our doors. There were also noticeable gaps on the tints in the rear passenger seats. We were a bit dazed as you can imagine.....

Just yesterday, we also discovered that there were dents and other huge noticeable scratches where the handle to open the door is (lock mechanism). Feeling extremely betrayed, we also found an incorrect and poor alignment in the rear windshield.

WE really don't know what to do now. Yes, humans make mistakes, but to make mistakes and to damage our car, really strikes me as ODD. If there was a problem like bubbling, on the tint, I would say...fix it..but to make the car already worse than before, is, I think, really serious.

At the moment, we're awaiting on what the Company is going to do about this issue. I welcome any comments/suggestions, etc. I will be posting the pictures up soon.
Deal Addict
May 27, 2005
2284 posts
45 upvotes
Kingston
rocheapplied wrote:Boy oh Boy, when you hear my story..you'll cringe..

I also sent my car to an unnamed Tint Company. Dropped the car off Thursday morning @ 9:45 AM, patiently waited until they called us to come down there @ 10:00 PM. We inspected the car's tint in the shop, but it was already dark inside and so it was hard to see the level of "detailing" done. After a tiring day of work, it seemed OK so we drove off....UNTIL....

We discovered the following day while inspecting, in broad daylight, a huge 6 cm scratch on the right front passenger's seat near the speakers, grease stains around, and loose door panels on 3 of our doors. There were also noticeable gaps on the tints in the rear passenger seats. We were a bit dazed as you can imagine.....

Just yesterday, we also discovered that there were dents and other huge noticeable scratches where the handle to open the door is (lock mechanism). Feeling extremely betrayed, we also found an incorrect and poor alignment in the rear windshield.

WE really don't know what to do now. Yes, humans make mistakes, but to make mistakes and to damage our car, really strikes me as ODD. If there was a problem like bubbling, on the tint, I would say...fix it..but to make the car already worse than before, is, I think, really serious.

At the moment, we're awaiting on what the Company is going to do about this issue. I welcome any comments/suggestions, etc. I will be posting the pictures up soon.

Make it very clear: put the car in A1 condition, or I'll get it done somewhere else and see you in small claims court.

Also, put everything in writing. Follow up every conversation with a letter.
× < >