• Aug 8th, 2012 8:28 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes

Silent/fanless GPU

I'm building a desktop rig for my mom, aiming to make it as silent as possible.

I'll be giving her my Noctua NH-D14 and will be using it with an i7 2600 (not K), in completely passive/fanless mode.

Now I just need to sort out the GPU. Wondering if it's a good idea to go with something like a 5450 w/ passive cooling, or going for something higher end with an aftermarket passive heatsink. Problem is, I don't know squat about passive GPU heatsinks, let alone where to get them.

So I'm just curious if a 5450 will hold up to full 1080p video's? Any other suggestions on a solution that's more powerful yet also passively cooled?

She is not a gamer of any sort, but she is definitely a multimedia freak. Proficient with the Adobe suite, she often uses Premiere to put together family video's. I don't want any sort of frame lag.

Thanks in advance. =]
RFD's Resident Ol' School Rap Guru
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

*VESTAX* PMC-05PROIII Battle Mixer for sale!!
7 replies
Apr 8, 2009
315 posts
70 upvotes
a fast hard drive and lots of RAM is way more important with Adobe P.
yes a ssd is the way to go.
in the video card department, a mid-range card like an ati/amd 6750 will do.
there are fanless version as well in the range of $100-130 or so.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
xalex0 wrote: Why not use the embedded HD 2000?
mmmnh, I'm not a fan of integrated GPU's. Would an HD2000 be good enough to handle that sort of media?

@al_the_great thanks, I have everything else sorted out. I'll take a look at the 6750.
No, you're not entitled to your own opinion, you're only entitled to what you can argue for.
Otherwise, don't start.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 29, 2005
6239 posts
164 upvotes
Cool thanks for the link! My mom is a bit of a baller so a GPU is a necessity. But for my own experimentation, I may keep the GPU sealed while I test the real-world capabilities of the HD2000. If it is actually good enough, I may just use onboard.
Otherwise, don't start.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)