Automotive

Silent Sentinel for new car from Dealership - Is it really worth it?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2016 10:56 pm
[OP]
Feb 22, 2011
157 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

Silent Sentinel for new car from Dealership - Is it really worth it?

I got quote for a new car and dealer wants me to get Silent Sentinel for $400 + Tax.

Supposedly, it gives you $5000 if your car is stolen. Involves etching your can VIN # on your windows and Hood.

Is it really worth it. Does it make sense to get it if I M buying Auto insurance?
10 replies
Jun 9, 2011
459 posts
223 upvotes
Absolutely and categorically not worth it.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23018 posts
8027 upvotes
Toronto
Have you read all the fine prints , terms and conditions ?

Ask how exactly do you collect this $5000 in case car is never recovered. I am sure you will deal with your car insurance first, how do they fit into the claim process ?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
26538 posts
12622 upvotes
Ottawa
If it's part of the final OTR, not a problem; otherwise don't pay extra for it or anything else as a matter of fact.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
4223 posts
853 upvotes
Ottawa
Any dealer add-on to car is just a way to pad their bottom line with absolutely obscene markups. One tried to charge me $199 for "Protection Plus" = nitrogen in the tires!
[OP]
Feb 22, 2011
157 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
booblehead wrote:
Aug 20th, 2016 9:02 am
Have you read all the fine prints , terms and conditions ?

Ask how exactly do you collect this $5000 in case car is never recovered. I am sure you will deal with your car insurance first, how do they fit into the claim process ?
From what they tell me, I get $5k if car is stolen on top of whatever I get from the Insurance company
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23018 posts
8027 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe you should ask the protection plan provider instead. dealer just sells it.

Better yet, open up another thread and ask who has experienced in getting this plan payout successfully, what was the process and anyone had their claim reduced or denied ? How long did it take to get this $?
Does this plan has an expiry date ?
Sep 19, 2014
361 posts
151 upvotes
Markham, ON
100% no worth it. I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

i bet you only get the $5K if and only if your car were stolen and NOT recovered.
few stolen cars are not recovered unless you have some exotic and rare, modded cars people chop up for parts.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
2743 posts
1883 upvotes
Richmond Hill
blackn54 wrote:
Aug 20th, 2016 2:24 pm
100% no worth it. I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

i bet you only get the $5K if and only if your car were stolen and NOT recovered.
few stolen cars are not recovered unless you have some exotic and rare, modded cars people chop up for parts.
Not just exotic and rare. A lot of cars have vulnerabilities in security that can have people driving them away and shipping them to other countries.

Here's one case of over 200 cars being stolen, with many already shipped away to Nigeria.