• Dec 11th, 2011 6:58 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 11, 2007
458 posts
48 upvotes
Calgary

Silverstar Ultra vs. GE Nighthawk bulbs

Our 98 Dodge Caravan's headlight bulbs suck (probably more so due to design of the headlight assembly). I have upgraded to Sylvania aftermarket bulbs (cool blue for whiter light??) a few years ago, but it doesn't light up the road well.

Anyone use either of these bulbs? I would appreciate your comments as far as increasing visibility and how long they last as I have heard some say Silverstars burn out easy. CR had a review of these bulbs vs OEM a few years ago and said result depended on the vehicle. Thanks.
44 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10981 posts
1338 upvotes
Silverstars have pretty short life. Try either Sylvania Xtravision or GE Nighthawk.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2003
3739 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
I've had Osram Silverstars burn out on me in just a year. I would try Philips X-treme +80, you can get them at www.powerbulbs.com they have free shipping and you can use this 15% off coupon astgt15 at checkout
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
3070 posts
46 upvotes
All the aftermarket "white" bulbs are normal bulbs with a blue coating, which gives a cheap increase in the rice factor but reduce the amount of actual light being put out. To achieve similar levels of light as uncoated bulbs, the filaments are overdriven, and that's why they last half as long as regular bulbs.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6532 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
In an old car I had a pair of Silverstar 9007s last for at least 1.5 years, then that car was sold...

With my new car, I've had a pair of H7s die 3 days apart after 6 months of use.... Picked up another pair of Silverstar H7s but if these go again in 6 months I will definitely be switching brands and give the Nighhawks a try.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2003
4609 posts
72 upvotes
Winnipeg
So far all "HID" imitation halogen bulbs have short lifespans. Not worth the high prices for these bulbs. Better to have your headlights aiming checked.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6532 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
cipher wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 4:01 pm
So far all "HID" imitation halogen bulbs have short lifespans. Not worth the high prices for these bulbs. Better to have your headlights aiming checked.
Silverstars and Nighthawks aren't really imitation HIDs, they're just bulbs with a higher colour temperature. Those purple and dark blue bulbs are your imitation HIDs.
I Declare - The official guide to your Customs exemptions and item restrictions when returning to Canada from abroad.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2007
10981 posts
1338 upvotes
cwb27 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 5:28 pm
Silverstars and Nighthawks aren't really imitation HIDs, they're just bulbs with a higher colour temperature. Those purple and dark blue bulbs are your imitation HIDs.
The Sylvania Silverstar (US/CAN) is almost a HID imitator because of the visible blue coating. Osram Silverstars (Euro), GE Nighthawk and Sylvania Xtravision are clear and are true high output bulbs (30%+ more light)
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2006
2055 posts
74 upvotes
vtec260 wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 12:06 pm
Our 98 Dodge Caravan's headlight bulbs suck (probably more so due to design of the headlight assembly). I have upgraded to Sylvania aftermarket bulbs (cool blue for whiter light??) a few years ago, but it doesn't light up the road well.

Anyone use either of these bulbs? I would appreciate your comments as far as increasing visibility and how long they last as I have heard some say Silverstars burn out easy. CR had a review of these bulbs vs OEM a few years ago and said result depended on the vehicle. Thanks.
Walmart sells Xtravision for decent price. I found them better than Cool Blue. But then again I did try them after having a new battery installed. you might want to check how old your battery is.
Deal Guru
Jun 12, 2003
13933 posts
690 upvotes
Markham
l69norm wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 5:54 pm
The Sylvania Silverstar (US/CAN) is almost a HID imitator because of the visible blue coating. Osram Silverstars (Euro), GE Nighthawk and Sylvania Xtravision are clear and are true high output bulbs (30%+ more light)
+1 someone who knows what they're talking about
ShadowVlican
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2006
4640 posts
833 upvotes
cipher wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 4:01 pm
Better to have your headlights aiming checked.

I wish more people would do that. These brighter bulbs are blinding at night when the aiming is not right for the car in front of them... :evil:
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2002
2101 posts
28 upvotes
ShadowVlican wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 8:12 pm
Agreed. Too rare around here.

I had the XtraVisions in a previous car. Good investment. No bling, but better illumination. I'll take boring but alive over cool and dead anytime.
Mar 19, 2006
339 posts
Mississauga
I have Silverstar Ultras, and they are bright, not blue, and they are working great. Definitely notice the increase in brightness over stock.
100% Ebay Feedback :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2006
6532 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
Hate to sound like the moron here, but I don't get what you're saying?

Are you saying that because the bulb glass has a light blue tint they're HD imitators? I've owned several sets of the tinted Silverstars and the light output has never been anything close to "HID like" blue colour temp. Sure if you look at the blue tint of the bulb, yeah you COULD call them imitation... but it's the light output that matters, and it ain't bluish (well, at least from the 9007s and H7s that I've owned.)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
6673 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
l69norm wrote:
ShadowVlican wrote:
Feb 4th, 2008 8:12 pm
He made up that 30% statistic, theres no way those things increase light out put by 30%.

Thats what people who waste their money on fancy light bulbs tell themselves to sleep better at night. 30%... please... It's either HID or nothing.
Did I post something that interests you? Feel free to PM further questions.
× < >